• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BagBoy
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2018

Outdoor Platform

Being well north of the border I only expect to get about 6-7 months a year of outdoor bagging weather.

I've had this combo heavy bag - speed bag platform for awhile now and couldn't sell it, to anyone! So I cut off the heavy bag part of the unit and filled all the metal tubing full of sand (two sanbags worth) to help stabilize the stand alone unit. I have four of the everlast U-hooks so I'm using one of those, no way I'm letting a good ball hook risk any rust out there. And side hits on these platforms are not what they're designed for.

Anyways it's a little unsightly with the bricks but they sure do help. Also attatched a pine round with a 4" hole in the center to recess the swivel making it faster to the prison issue platform that comes with the unit. That all make sense?

Works really well for U bolt action style.

PS: wife hasn't seen it yet
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BagBoy; 06-01-2018, 05:06 PM.
    Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Nice!

Comment

• mirokiuru
      • Jun 2015

Have the neighbours peeked over your fence yet, wondering where that ”noise come from”? but anyways awesome job! DIY projects are alway fun and rewarding

+is that everlast roo?

Comment

• BagBoy
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by mirokiuru View Post
        Have the neighbours peeked over your fence yet, wondering where that ”noise come from”? but anyways awesome job! DIY projects are alway fun and rewarding

+is that everlast roo?
        Actually yeah, my back neighbors did look out their window when I first ripped into it. Bought my house 18 yrs ago so by now they already know I'm a little.... off

The bag is just one of the regular everlast 6-9's. My cleto 5-8 works nicely on that platform.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• m.breen
          • Jan 2017

Looks nice. My outdoor setups are either granite or cement drums. I also use the everlast 4444 swivel on the one that is somewhat covered, and the other, which is fully exposed, has a everlast plastic ball and hook. I don't like to be inside for our short northern summers.

Comment

• rdshackleford
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
            ...no way I'm letting a good ball hook risk any rust out there...
            If only there was a good ball hook swivel made from stainless steel and polymers that could withstand an outdoor environment...

-Rusty
            @ArcSwivel
            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Bag Man
              • Jan 2011

Being well north of the border I only expect to get about 6-7 months a year of outdoor bagging weather.

I've had this combo heavy bag - speed bag platform for awhile now and couldn't sell it, to anyone! So I cut off the heavy bag part of the unit and filled all the metal tubing full of sand (two sanbags worth) to help stabilize the stand alone unit. I have four of the everlast U-hooks so I'm using one of those, no way I'm letting a good ball hook risk any rust out there. And side hits on these platforms are not what they're designed for.

Anyways it's a little unsightly with the bricks but they sure do help. Also attatched a pine round with a 4" hole in the center to recess the swivel making it faster to the prison issue platform that comes with the unit. That all make sense?

Works really well for U bolt action style.

PS: wife hasn't seen it yet
              For what it is worth: the old Everlast ball/hooks where two pieces. I was under the impression that the female part that attached to the board is zinc coated and as such would not rust. Mind you I have never tried it out myself, The male part which houses the ball/hook can be unscrewed and brought indoors when not in use.

Bag Man
              "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• BagBoy
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Bag Man View Post
                For what it is worth: the old Everlast ball/hooks where two pieces. I was under the impression that the female part that attached to the board is zinc coated and as such would not rust. Mind you I have never tried it out myself, The male part which houses the ball/hook can be unscrewed and brought indoors when not in use.

Bag Man
                I have my old everlast metal ball hook inside happy as a clam on a wall mount platform. Side hitting doesn't work so well with these stand alone platforms because of the left/right wobble. So a Uhook works best on that thing. I've got four hitting stations inside with different swivels on each. Gluttonous mancave stuff.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• BagBoy
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jan 2018

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                  If only there was a good ball hook swivel made from stainless steel and polymers that could withstand an outdoor environment...

-Rusty
                  Haha! And thank God there is. But again, ball hooks don't work all that well on those platforms. Or at least that particular platform.

EDIT: And when can we buy one of your UFO swivels?
                  Last edited by BagBoy; 06-04-2018, 05:57 PM.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• rdshackleford
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Oct 2016

And when can we buy one of your UFO swivels?
                    I’m not sure I like the name UFO swivel.
                    @ArcSwivel
                    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• BagBoy
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jan 2018

Somebody else did refer to them as "Alien swivels" We have the Evil swivel, why not The Alien. And hey, starts with an 'A' first swivel found in the phone book

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• mirokiuru
                        • Jun 2015

I think the name could be Shackleford Swivels! Its pronounceable and have old school sounding name, and lets be honest, if you create new swivel it should be named by the creator Same whit the new animal species and new planets

And! Im also curious where baggers can purchase your swivels

Comment

• rdshackleford
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Oct 2016

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, but I'm not quite ready to sell them yet. From the buyer's perspective, I need to complete some testing first. The selling side adds more complexity.

-Rusty
                          @ArcSwivel
                          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• BagBoy
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Jan 2018

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, but I'm not quite ready to sell them yet. From the buyer's perspective, I need to complete some testing first. The selling side adds more complexity.

-Rusty
                            Hardly being a jerk. If it were my creation I'd want it be the best I could possibly make it.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• RosemaryPitre
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • May 2018

Have the neighbors looked over your fence yet, pondering where that "commotion originate from"? be that as it may, at any rate wonderful occupation! DIY ventures are alway fun and fulfilling

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...