• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

Bagcraft: Swiveltek LTX upgrade

This post is a bit involved for my Rusty Tips thread, so I'm starting a new one, Bagcraft. This one is my performance upgrade for the already great Swiveltek LTX.

The Swiveltek comes with a black polyurethane rubber disc to be installed with the purpose of keeping the eyebolt from hitting the side of the swivel housing. When I first started using the Swiveltek, I left out the rubber disc. The performance was spectacular, but oh the noise! The noise was so loud and sharp, I took to wearing ear protection while punching. So I tried the rubber disc. The problem is the rubber disc restricts the movement of the eye hook so much, the performance suffers. Quiet, yes. But the ball barely moves and any spin on the bag tends to bind up the ball against the plastic and knotting up the eyebolt and s-hook.

My upgrade is to improve the movement of the ball while still restricting the eyebolt from hitting the swivel housing. It is the best of both, great performance and whisper quiet!

Figure 1. This is the Swiveltek with the stock rubber disc installed.

Figure 2. This shows the maximum deflection of the eyebolt with the stock disc installed.

Figure 3. These are the parts I used for the upgrade. A 1.5 mm thick washer, and Ike silver dollar, and a piece of felt-backed vinyl as a compression gasket against the platform. The black washer has an OD of 38mm and an ID of 29mm. The ID could be a bit larger, as long as the brass colored ball can move unrestricted by the washer.

Figure 4. This shows the 1.5mm washer inserted into the swivel base.

Figure 5. This shows the Ike dollar set on top of the washer and the felt gasket sitting on top. The idea with the felt is to take up any extra vertical space and keep the dollar from rattling around when the ball hits it.

Figure 6. This shows the new max deflection the eyebolt can make. You can see it almost touches the swivel base, but not quite. The closer you get, the better.

It is now whisper quiet due to the eyebolt not clanking on the swivel base. The ball hitting the coin doesn't make enough noise for me to hear it. Maybe the gasket is helping there, I'm not sure. One final feature is the coin being metal lets the ball easily rebound and skip off without imparting much friction and torque back onto the ball and eyebolt.

Enjoy!

-Rusty
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic
  • JoMan
    • Nov 2016

Awesome tip, thanks for doing this!

Comment

• jaja6009
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2016

As usual thanks for the tip and keep em coming.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...