Pointers for newbie on platform and gloves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Connick
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2010

Pointers for newbie on platform and gloves?

Hi all,

Been scouring the net for info on speed bag platforms, bags, swivels and gloves but there isn't a whole lot of consistent opinions out there. Was hoping yall wouldn't mind throwing out a few pointers?

My current thinking is to opt for a mounted speed bag platform. Been considering the following:

Valor CA-2 Adjustable
    We are Valor Fitness, providing strength and conditioning equipment nationwide to beginner and professional athletes of all kinds! Our goal is to deliver quality fitness products at an affordable price, while building stronger communities and inspiring others to live a healthier lifestyle.

Everlast Adjustable

After reading thru this forum tho I've now begun to wonder if I really need adjustable. Perhaps opt for a something simpler?

My second question is concerning choice of gloves. So many kinds ...I don't mind spending the bucks on quality but there are so many types. I'd like to also get a heavy bag in the future ...can I get one pair of gloves that's appropriate for both?

Many thanks!
    Connick
  • StevieMac
    • Oct 2010

Welcome to the forum Connick. Personally I think an adjustable platform is the way to go. I considered the Valor CA-2 myself but there was very little feedback available so I went with a Balazs I-Box

These platforms are super popular on here and I’m very happy with mine. Balazs has been a good supporter of this site and their customer service is fantastic.

The Everlast Adjustable is also a super popular platform on here.

As for gloves, I personally found hand wraps worked best for me. After a while your hands will toughen up and you may find you just prefer going bare handed. I still wrap my hands once in a while if I do a long session and my hands get sore but I mostly go bare handed now as most folks on here do.

Comment

• Avadia
      • Nov 2010

Having used the everlast adjustable for a few months and then upgrading to the Balasz nonadjustable, I personally prefer the nonadjustable. The stability is so much better. And I never really felt the need to adjust the platform when I changed bags anyway. The rebound on the nonadjustable is just leaps and bounds better than the adjustable due to the lower vibration. if you do decide to go the adjustable route, I would second the recommendation for the Balazs ibox. They make quality products.

As for gloves, I really like the Rival Leather Bag Mitts available from Title Boxing, which are on sale right now. These are some of the best quality mitts I have found. Or you could go minimalist and just order Title's leather weightlifting gloves, which work pretty well for bagging. Balazs also offers a decent basic boxing mitt. And no, I would not recommend using the same gloves for speed bag and heavy bag use. Very different activities which require their own type of glove.

Comment

• StevieMac
        • Oct 2010

The Balasz I-Box is as solid as a rock IMHO.

Comment

• Avadia
          • Nov 2010

Yeah, it makes sense that the ibox design would be a lot more stable than the everlast adjustable design. It's those skinny vertical rails on the everlast that are the problem. They have way too much flex.

Comment

• PIEFURZ
            Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

hand wraps work good. I suggest shorter ones with elastic in them. Longer ones have way to much material for speed bagin. The elastic makes the shape to the hand better and less bunching up. Gloves have a tendency to bunch up on the sides which isn't good for control from that surface. Speed baging isn't as hard on the wrist as a heavy bag so you just need protection for your skin. Unless you go overboard as most of us have at one time or another you can get by bare fisted.

Comment

• Inkspill
              • Dec 2010

I was wondering about that. Probably my beginner level I have always used plain hands

Comment

• Avadia
                • Nov 2010

I always hit with bare hands too . . . until I got a stress fracture in my index finger from overtraining those reverse punches. Now I try to wear wraps or gloves most of the time.

Comment

• Inkspill
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Avadia View Post
                  I always hit with bare hands too . . . until I got a stress fracture in my index finger from overtraining those reverse punches. Now I try to wear wraps or gloves most of the time.
                  What do you mean by a reverse punch? What striking surface were you hitting with?

Comment

• Avadia
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Inkspill View Post
                    What do you mean by a reverse punch? What striking surface were you hitting with?
                    I'm talking about bringing my fist back through and striking the rear of the bag with the side of my fist where my thumb and index finger are located, after having struck the front of the bag with the other end of my fist. Reverse punch may not be the proper terminology. I am travelling right now and don't have my bible with me for reference.

Anyway, I have been practicing this combo intensely lately and ended up with a stress fracture in my index finger (probably from hitting with poor form). So I have been laying off the bag a bit and icing it and it seems to be healing up. I have decided to wear wraps or gloves when I am bagging hard now.

As I said above, the best gloves I have found so far are those Rival Bag Mitts. They are very high quality gloves for bagging.

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jan 2008

I just use regular boxing hand wraps, I have done it that way since i was a kid training for my first fight. So when I got back into the speedbag I went back to my roots and it never let me down

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                        Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Originally posted by Avadia View Post
                        Avadia, sorry to hear about the stress fracture. I guess speed bagging isn't the best exercise for the hands. I've got a Dynaflex Pro Gyro Exerciser, www.dynaflexpro.com that strengthens the hands and arms. I wouldn't use one until your fracture is well healed. I've used wraps before when punching hard and also to keep thumbnails from digging into the back of my hands when doing fist rolls. It helps to wrap the the end of the thumb and back. Hope you get beyond this and all is well.

Comment

• Avadia
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PIEFURZ View Post
                          Avadia, sorry to hear about the stress fracture. I guess speed bagging isn't the best exercise for the hands. I've got a Dynaflex Pro Gyro Exerciser, www.dynaflexpro.com that strengthens the hands and arms. I wouldn't use one until your fracture is well healed. I've used wraps before when punching hard and also to keep thumbnails from digging into the back of my hands when doing fist rolls. It helps to wrap the the end of the thumb and back. Hope you get beyond this and all is well.
                          Thanks, man. It seems to be healing up well. The hardest part is staying off the bag for a week or two and then being sure to use some protection when I do get on it. And then icing it regularly. I do a lot of grip training with my strength training routine. I'll have to check out the dynaflex.

Comment

• RenoRattler
                            • Sep 2009

As everyone else has already said, the Balasz is solid. The Everlast is really solid too. A lot of us started out on the cheapy Everlast adjustable, and it can get you through pretty well for a while....

I hit with my bare hands. Used gloves at the beginning, then went to wraps, and now bare. If I am doing just a straight up boxing workout on the speed bag I will still wear wraps, just because I am doing all of my hitting on the front side of my hands. But if I am doing other stuff, i.e. elbows, reverse, side, then I don't feel like I need the protection as much.

Comment

• Connick
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Dec 2010

Thanks!

Thanks for the input folks!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...