• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Click
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2016

New to the forum!

Hey everyone, new to the site. I've been lurking for awhile but thought it was time to join. Be warned I'm a super noob to speedbaging. All opinions and advice appreciated. Sorry if this is long winded, just a little explanation of my situation.

I recently upgraded my speedbag to a valor ca-53. I hated the swivel that came with it and replace it.

Unfortunately, valor uses a very odd bolt pattern, so I followed a post I saw and made my own swivel that matched up. It was a fast swivel, but I was worried it didn't swivel quick enough to make it challenging. So I decided to swap it for a swivel with a good reputation, so I could compare. I chose the Deville #13.

Also, I was curious if I was missing out on using better speed bags. So far, I have only been using Pro Impact bags (opinions?). They're cheap and the quality seems good... But you don't know what you don't know. So I also ordered a Ringside Heritage 5".

The Deville metal hook makes contact with the rim of the base before the bag makes contact with the backboard.

Is that normal?

And the heritage bag has the thickest loop I've ever seen! It will not work with any of my swivels. Especially the Deville.

Any ideas on how to make it work? Has anyone had this problem?

I'd hate to cut the leather...
    Last edited by Click; 06-23-2016, 04:40 PM.
  • Click
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2016

I'm on my phone, so I'm not sure I can resize the photos so I can upload them.

Here is a Google drive link that has some photos.

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

Welcome to the forum Click! You will find everything you need to become a true speed bag addict on this site....and probably some stuff you can never un-see! :-)
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Click
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
        Welcome to the forum Click! You will find everything you need to become a true speed bag addict on this site....and probably some stuff you can never un-see! :-)
        Thanks Zaza,

Have you had any experience with the Deville #13 or the ringside Heritage speed bags?

Comment

• Click
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jun 2016

Originally posted by ventanakaz
          ...I wouldn't cut the leather, Those bags are expensive, I think that loop would probably fit on my S-hook but then again I make my own S-hooks. If you have a Vice bench and maybe a brass hammer, you could open that S hook up bigger but you have to have patience and manipulate the bottom part where the bag sits. Oh yah and you might want to use some wood or rubber on the vice before you clamp the S-Hook in there so you don't chew up the metal on your Hook, it will take some work but it could be done, also you might need some metal punches preferably brass, if not then steel, but be careful how much you bang on the Hook...Ralph
          Thanks Ralph, I'll give it a try.

And for the double end bag, it's made by RDX, you can purchase it on amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016Q...?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I've gone through a few different setups and like this one the best. It's not perfect, but I think it's as good as it can get with the low ceiling height.

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Click View Post
            Thanks Zaza,

Have you had any experience with the Deville #13 or the ringside Heritage speed bags?
            Yes on both counts! I could get this on my Deville swivel because of the off-set hook...the Heritage loop was just too big to fit on the Powermill Evil swivel!

Here's my review of the bag when it came out:

Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
              • Apr 2012

Hi, welcome.

I have two platforms. One is the same as you have. I never adjust it. The other, I never adjust either. I feel it's more effective and efficient to just get simple platforms. Not inexpensive, just more solid, no nonsense, and better designed. I noticed you have the 2 inch thick drum. However, I see you still needed more damping on top of it. Is that because of the design in the adjustable mechanism (lacks stability), or the two inch platform is overkill?

I have chain links installed. I trust your Ringside bag will fit chain links. Looks like a pain in the neck that Ringside. I would return it if possible. One can get 2 awesome TITLE bags for the price of it. The chain links are quick and quiet. You can use masking tape on the ball swivel to lower the decibels. I like your bearing swivel, perfect for the noob.

You said your one bag is cheap. If it's a cheap built bag, you can expect it to last 2-3 months of steady, sold, daily pounding. You should be seeing stitches breaking, and threads dangling, eventual leading into seams spiting, and the bladder being exposed. Don't stop using it. Keep going till it's less then useless. Then you can remove the bladder for parts. As well as the lace.

I strongly encourage people to start bagging as inexpensive as possible. Walk before you can run. I see in your photos 500 bucks in speed bag equipment. When I started it cost me $5.00, and I had everything I needed.

Beat the crap out of the bag, and everything you have. Have fun.
              Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...