X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Colt, great job for just a couple of weeks under the board. Going from a U-bolt or chain link to a ball hook takes some getting used to. You'll find that with a little practice and patience, you will master it. At times you might get the helicopter effect. You know, when the bag circles around the board like a helicopter blade. Don't feel bad though, we've all been helicopter pilots at some point!

I think all of us on the forum have felt the frustration as we went from a chain link or U-bolt swivel to a ball hook. There are a few baggers who haven't made the change, and prefer either the chain link or U-bolt.

Hitting the bag with an ball hook swivel creates a smaller sweet spot. By that, I mean if you miss hit the bag, the swivel is less forgiving than the other two types. This actually is a good thing, because it forces you to hit more precisely, and thus gain more control over the bag.

In any event, keep practicing, and don't give up. You'll be amazed at how much easier it will become. And, if you find you really like bagging, I would recommend buying Alan's Speed Bag Bible and DVD set. Look here for a SBF discount.

Comment

• 45LongColt
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jan 2015

Thanks Biff,

Yeah, we are hooked big time. I just spend the last 3 hours working on my room and setup. I tore the entire platform off the wall, added additional studs and anchored the platform using 4" 1/2 thick lag bolts to the studs I shot into the foundation. I think you can hang a car from it now. No vibration whatsoever.

I also added a few banners and a Bag Post to hold our bags, swivels and wraps. My son was really going at it last night until he wacked his elbow really hard on the platform .... even got it on video. Trying to get him to post it AS WHAT NOT TO DO!!! but I think he is a little embarrassed

I did order the Speed Bag Bible Book & DVD as well as the Art of the Bag DVD. Should be here beginning of the week. Cant wait until they arrive. In the meantime, we will just keep at it and see where it takes us.

My wife says I'll be right up there with you guys in no time.... she says I don't know how to do anything without going full bore at

Thanks again

Colt

Comment

• rehamco1
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by 45LongColt View Post
        Thanks Biff,

Yeah, we are hooked big time. I just spend the last 3 hours working on my room and setup. I tore the entire platform off the wall, added additional studs and anchored the platform using 4" 1/2 thick lag bolts to the studs I shot into the foundation. I think you can hang a car from it now. No vibration whatsoever.

I also added a few banners and a Bag Post to hold our bags, swivels and wraps. My son was really going at it last night until he wacked his elbow really hard on the platform .... even got it on video. Trying to get him to post it AS WHAT NOT TO DO!!! but I think he is a little embarrassed

I did order the Speed Bag Bible Book & DVD as well as the Art of the Bag DVD. Should be here beginning of the week. Cant wait until they arrive. In the meantime, we will just keep at it and see where it takes us.

My wife says I'll be right up there with you guys in no time.... she says I don't know how to do anything without going full bore at

Thanks again

Colt
        Hi looking forward to your sons video When I try to practice extra hard I have been know to be a chopper pilot and have hit my elbow and wrist on the board...everyone goes thru the learning process I slowed down some so I could enjoy my bagging journey more...glad you and your son are with us on the speed bag forum bag on

Comment

• 45LongColt
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jan 2015

Well one day later and even more progress. My son is taking a break due to his elbow blow yesterday. but I'm sure he will be back into it by Monday. He hasn't yet let me post the video, but I laugh my butt off each time I watch it.... looks painful... but holy crap, looks intentional like when a player spikes a football in excitement or something

Latest video of me getting the hang of the new swivel. Glad I stuck with it.

Any tips on height of bag, distance away from the bag, arms not up... whatever, I am open to it.

Oh, and I took ventanakaz advice and left a little more out of the bag. Big difference.

Colt

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Well one day later and even more progress. My son is taking a break due to his elbow blow yesterday. but I'm sure he will be back into it by Monday. He hasn't yet let me post the video, but I laugh my butt off each time I watch it.... looks painful... but holy crap, looks intentional like when a player spikes a football in excitement or something

Latest video of me getting the hang of the new swivel. Glad I stuck with it.

Any tips on height of bag, distance away from the bag, arms not up... whatever, I am open to it.

Oh, and I took ventanakaz advice and left a little more out of the bag. Big difference.

Colt
            Here are some basic "speed bag set up" tips from Speedbagcentral.com

url

The proper speed bag setup and stance...... "the belly of the bag (fattest part) is set at mouth level. This alignment will let the fists make contact at the proper location in your swing, and let them easily pass straight out and back through the speed bag. This setting may be deemed "too low" for some boxing trainers, who want their boxers to hold their hands higher. But remember, a speed bag workout for competitive boxers usually does not focus on punches, movements or elbow strikes that are not used in the ring. Competitive boxers normally do not focus on hitting from all around the speed bag and passing their hands "through the bag" to hit from behind or the sides. "
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

You both are looking good to me...great work & glad to see you hanging in there!
              Love the room set-up... you never have to worry about alien brain waves interfering with your rhythm. (they're always messin' with me!)

Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Well I talked it over with my son and he wants us to leave the Deville swivel on for a couple more days. He was working on it last night and says he thinks he might be getting it. He skipped single front punches and went to double front punches and was actually doing them pretty good. So if he's happy at this point, I guess I can give it a couple more days of working on it myself.

If by Sunday evening I cant figure it out, I'll switch back to the U bolt swivel.
                Colt
                Hey there, Colt. I'm glad you stuck it out a little longer on the ball-hook swivel, because by the looks of it, you seem to be getting the hang of it. Sometimes all it takes is stepping away and coming back an hour later, or the next day, and boom, all of a sudden it all comes together. Also, once you are able to build up some calluses and wean yourself off the gloves, you'll gain more control over the bag because you'll start to become one with the bag. Like other protective coverings, it tends to take away some of the pleasure of bagging because you can't FEEL the bag against your knuckles. Makes a difference, in my opinion.

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                ...and Reno Rattler... I've heard so much about you, glad to see you back in the fringe again.

Cheers!
                Zaza

Hey, Zaza. You and Reno have something in common with each other.

Utili-kilts.

Reno Rattler in 2010)

Here's the old forum thread from 2010. All the usual suspects posting comments:

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• 45LongColt
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jan 2015

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement. I would love to wean off the gloves or wraps, but since I have been at it every day for the past three weeks, my hands are actually sore... especially my right side of my palm.

I do have a question though, what do you all look at when your bagging? The bag, label, swivel, wall behind, mark on the bag, mark on the wall.... what? I really cant see the bag as its just basically blurry, so I guess I'm looking past it onto the wall behind. Not sure if the is what I should be doing, but I just cant seem to focus on the actual bag itself. Thanks

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement. I would love to wean off the gloves or wraps, but since I have been at it every day for the past three weeks, my hands are actually sore... especially my right side of my palm.

I do have a question though, what do you all look at when your bagging? The bag, label, swivel, wall behind, mark on the bag, mark on the wall.... what? I really cant see the bag as its just basically blurry, so I guess I'm looking past it onto the wall behind. Not sure if the is what I should be doing, but I just cant seem to focus on the actual bag itself. Thanks
                    The answer is "Yes". At times you will see one of them, and all of the things you mentioned.

So, If you are playing a fast game of Table Tennis (ping pong), what do you look at? The ball is a blur most of the time... just like the speed bag.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• 45LongColt
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jan 2015

Okay, so I got the Art of the Bag DVD and watched it... nice history of Speed Bagging and I also got the Speed Bag Bible book and DVD last Tuesday. We started off with the lessons and very quickly realized the swivel just wasn't going to work for us (to frustrating to learn new techniques on) as the bag just goes berserk on us. So to minimize frustration, we switched back to the Title Pro Deluxe U Bar swivel and it was like being in a completely different world.

My son is Fist Rolling like crazy and already doing the front double punches and side Elbow strikes. Very fun to watch.

I am practicing Bible Technique and trying to unlearn my old boxing habits so I'm not just blasting at the bag.

So far so good... taking it slowly and having lots of fun...except hands hurting from punching every day (hours at a time mind you)

We will try the DeVille Swivel again down the road after we have mastered a little Bible Technique, but for now, having fun and watching our progress is more important than the swivel we use.

One question though, I think going to a slightly larger bag might provide us with a little more control learning the Bible Style Techniques, any recommendations on another bag to learn on.

I currently have a 6x9 Valor, 6x9 Reyes and a 7x10 Title. Thanks again for the support and assistance.

Colt

Comment

• Eric
                        • May 2014

Looks like you have the correct size bags now. Control them slowly and add speed as the control improves. You have the tools. Enjoy the baggin'

Comment

• Dutchman
                          Speed Bag Historian
                          • Jun 2006

Yes, the 7x10 is an excellent bag to learn on, start with the bag a little on the soft side, and take your time. You can do a lot of the Bible style with a U bolt, just look at what Speedbag Scissorhands can do. You can experiment with the DeVille later on when you're comfortable with your skill levels.

Comment

• Del-Striking
                            • Aug 2014

Okay, so I got the Art of the Bag DVD and watched it... nice history of Speed Bagging and I also got the Speed Bag Bible book and DVD last Tuesday. We started off with the lessons and very quickly realized the swivel just wasn't going to work for us (to frustrating to learn new techniques on) as the bag just goes berserk on us. So to minimize frustration, we switched back to the Title Pro Deluxe U Bar swivel and it was like being in a completely different world.

My son is Fist Rolling like crazy and already doing the front double punches and side Elbow strikes. Very fun to watch.

I am practicing Bible Technique and trying to unlearn my old boxing habits so I'm not just blasting at the bag.

So far so good... taking it slowly and having lots of fun...except hands hurting from punching every day (hours at a time mind you)

We will try the DeVille Swivel again down the road after we have mastered a little Bible Technique, but for now, having fun and watching our progress is more important than the swivel we use.

One question though, I think going to a slightly larger bag might provide us with a little more control learning the Bible Style Techniques, any recommendations on another bag to learn on.

I currently have a 6x9 Valor, 6x9 Reyes and a 7x10 Title. Thanks again for the support and assistance.

Colt
                            Your precision is getting tighter, this activity is all muscle memory, be patient slow down and control the bag. Speed and control will increase one workout to the next. I've seen some incredibly inspiring videos done at half speed using a variety of combos and under complete control. Put on some music and enjoy your progress. Someone once said It should be called a control bag not a speedbag.. Stay the course and you will amaze your friends with your skill.

Comment

• 45LongColt
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Jan 2015

Thanks again. Nice to get such good feedback and guidance. Been hitting every night for about 30-45 minutes between my son and myself. Bought another bag to try out and a little larger size to make learning the methods a little easier.

Picked up the Ringside 11x7 red & white bag. Nice construction, soft leather, but substantially heavier than the other bags I own. Did slow things down a little which is helping us get better tuned into our form over speed.

working our way through the exercises in the Bible and we are still working on all the Front of the bag moves for now. All record another video this weekend showing our progress.

Thanks again

Colt

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...