• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanAllen
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2007

Help with bad setup

I tried a speed bag at my buddies house for the first time the other day, and I had so much fun I went and got my own. This is the one I got:

The problem is that I have to hit the bag extremely hard to get it to go fast enough to improve myself. The platform also has alot of flex in it and I can see it vibrating around when Im hitting my bag.
    I am starting to get discouraged by all of this and I need this thing to just work properly. I even put a 35lb sand bag on the top of it to try to dampen the shaking. I also over infalted the bag so it would have more bounce to it.
    Is the stand I have just that crappy and I need to get a better one?

TIA,
    Dan
  • SupergeZ
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2007

the platforms alright tbh, may need some modification. try adding another 24" board to the frame to add some weight and stability, and makesure youve put it on a good wall. i installed my platform into pretty poor insulation blocks and it vibrated like mad then fell off!! theres quite a few folk on the board with your setup and theyll be able to tell you how to set it up perfectly

GL matey

Comment

• DanAllen
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jun 2007

Its into a solid wall into studs. I'm not shure how much more weight the wood will hold without doing damage.

Comment

• ninja420
        • Jan 2007

LOTS! I just made one similar to the one you bought and we loaded that thing with probley close to 100 lbs of sand. that is if your lag bolts are more than 3 inches long and a 1/4 inch diamiter.

Comment

• DanAllen
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jun 2007

Its solid into the wall. It seems the bolts going into the wood drum are about to pull through as it is.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by DanAllen View Post
            I tried a speed bag at my buddies house for the first time the other day, and I had so much fun I went and got my own. This is the one I got:

The problem is that I have to hit the bag extremely hard to get it to go fast enough to improve myself. The platform also has alot of flex in it and I can see it vibrating around when Im hitting my bag.
            I am starting to get discouraged by all of this and I need this thing to just work properly. I even put a 35lb sand bag on the top of it to try to dampen the shaking. I also over infalted the bag so it would have more bounce to it.
            Is the stand I have just that crappy and I need to get a better one?
            TIA,
            Dan
            I don't think you're problem is the wall unit. Myself and plenty of others have used that same unit without the problems you mention. And considering you only have a few bolts going into the regular wood 2x4 wall studs, 35lbs of sand is more than enough to hang on it.

Once the board is fairly stable, look for another reason. Most likely the bag. The bag pictured looks pretty lousy and cheap. I suggest you try a high quality bag first, such as a Title Speedbag. For a beginner, and the board you have, I would suggest the red 9x6.
            Last edited by Speedbag; 06-30-2007, 07:18 PM.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Make sure all the screws, nuts and bolts are tight. That unit is going to flex some, but not enough to kill the rebound.

Comment

• DanAllen
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jun 2007

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I will try the bag you suggested, I think part of the problem is that the drum is too thin. I wonder if a thicker drum would help.
                I thought this because if i bounce the bag off the concrete on the ground it bounces very well, however off the board on my stand its like a cardboard box. (exagerated analogy but you get the point).

Comment

• Chris M
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Mar 2006

An awful lot of us started (and many still have) the same setup you do. It can be made to work just fine but it has to have everything tight and installed tightly into the wall studs.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
                    An awful lot of us started (and many still have) the same setup you do. It can be made to work just fine but it has to have everything tight and installed tightly into the wall studs.
                    Chris M. is correct that all must be tight.

IF you have access to another speed bag unit somewhere, take your bag and try it on that board. all things considered, if your bag suddenly comes to life on another board, then your board is probably at fault.

I have that very same unit. but if you notice in this picture I have a much lighter colored 3/4 in plywood over the top of the black particular board. I did that for weight and stability, but I believe sandbags would perform the same function.

You can see same exact board in this video. It was holding very steady there. I had it attached to the wall studs with
                    4-inch Hex Head Lag bolts
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jaguiler
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jan 2007

it is the bag -

dump the bag and pick up a Title of Everlast Pro - stay away from 4210 or 4214 - they will feel slightly better.... I think for starting a lighter bag with better rebound is what you need.

I took my vinyl bag and filled it with sand and now have a pretty good maize bag. (slip bag)

Comment

• DanAllen
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jun 2007

I will try my bag at my buddies house next time im over there. I watched the video and my drum shakes around alot more than the one in the video. Maybe 3/8" in every direction. I did secure to the wall studs with some 3 1/2" lag bolts from the hardware store and that part is very solid. Its just the drum and the two arms that hold the drum. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Comment

• JERSEY KID
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • May 2007

This is is not the exact set up as you have but only an example of a slight modification, It is Manufactured by Everlast like yours and is the same drum wood material. This unit flexed and vibrated and altered the rebound now with just the added brace(2x4's)against my ceiling eves it is solid and rebounds well. I am also new to the speedbag and lets face it starting out our equipment is entry level and once we improve our skills, our equipment can be upgraded. My oberservations are like the others have stated make sure bolts are tight and if that don;t solve it take care of it by adding some more bracing.
                          **Do an Experiment before you change the bag hold the drum with your hand at rebound point pulling down with tension now strike the bag with the other hand if bag rebounds well add some bracing***. Just a suggestion

Comment

• DanAllen
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Jun 2007

I added some bracing to the frame and its much better. I still want a thicker drum but the main problem has been fixed.

Comment

• jaguiler
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Jan 2007

trust me - if you are on the vinyl bag - get rid of it..... you will notice a world of difference - I promise

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...