• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 45LongColt
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2015

New Member - Excited about learning

First off, great website! I've read just about every thread on here already and am completely hooked on Speed bagging.

I was into boxing about 30 years ago in my earlier years, did some local stuff and worked out mostly on the heavy bag, little bit on the speed bag. I have a 12 year old son who wants to learn how to speed bag so I purchased some equipment and we are off to the races.

Well, I have to say, things have certainly changed from my youth. Much more artistic and stylized then my old typical RRR LLL RRR LLL. Therefore, I'm way out of my element these days, but learning my way back into the mix.

I purchased a Valor CA-53 platform and mount (which I have to say works very nicely) and mounted it directly into my concrete foundation. I also have the Title Deluxe Swivel and Title Deluxe Pro Swivel and have to say, I'm not real fond of either. The chain link is very clunky and the U swivel has come apart twice while hitting the bag... not the actual U post, but the nut that holds the entire assembly came off. So any recommendations on Swivels would be great.

I have two bags already. The 6x9 Valor that came with the Valor Platform and mount and I purchased a Title 7x10 (Black model).

Any information to help us move forward would be great as well as recommendations on bags and other items. Thanks

Colt
  • RenoRattler
    • Sep 2009

Welcome! I myself am just returning from a time away from the bag. It's a great hobby, and great for you at the same time!

I think most everyone will recommend a Deville swivel to you. I'll be the first! I am not a fan of chain link or u-bolt swivels. I started on chain link, and while it got me into the hobby, it is much more satisfying to use a ball hook. Greater performance, and as you have already found out less chance for things to fall apart. Simpler is usually better.

I hope you stick around, and again, Welcome!

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

Welcome to the forum! This is THE PLACE for anything speed bag. Looking forward to pictures & videos as you progress. Enjoy!

...and Reno Rattler... I've heard so much about you, glad to see you back in the fringe again.

Cheers!
      Zaza
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• dpayne
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jan 2015

I will agree with the recommendation of the DeVille swivel as I just received mine. Quality product with the best customer service you will ever find. I love being able to change bags quickly and of course it works great.

Comment

• Biff
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Hey RR! Nice to see you're back. How have you been?

Comment

• 45LongColt
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jan 2015

Okay, now I am completely frustrated and my son wont even hit the bag anymore

We were doing very good hitting the original setup and then I followed everyone's advice on the Deville swivel and now neither one of us can hit it at all

I had to drill all new holes in my drum to accommodate the new swivel and the bag seems to just swing in every darn direction all at the same time. I was hitting the other setup very well for half hour increments non stop, very fast and hard. Now I cant even hit the bag straight for more than 3 hits before it decides to take some crazy left or right turn on me.

What gives??? My son says if I don't put the old swivel back on he wont bother hitting anymore! We've been at it now for three days and simply no improvement on our behalf, just increasing frustration. HELP!!!

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by 45LongColt View Post

We were doing very good hitting the original setup and then I followed everyone's advice on the Deville swivel and now neither one of us can hit it at all

I had to drill all new holes in my drum to accommodate the new swivel and the bag seems to just swing in every darn direction all at the same time. I was hitting the other setup very well for half hour increments non stop, very fast and hard. Now I cant even hit the bag straight for more than 3 hits before it decides to take some crazy left or right turn on me.

What gives??? My son says if I don't put the old swivel back on he wont bother hitting anymore! We've been at it now for three days and simply no improvement on our behalf, just increasing frustration. HELP!!!
              At this point I would say the best thing to do is "Change the swivel back to the one you were using. - Immediately." . Sharing time in this activity with your son and enjoying your workout and time together is far more important than any choice of equipment because someone else recommends it "as the best" for whatever reason. The Deville Ballhook is a Cadillac swivel and the best ball hook model available, however a Cadillac that sits un-driven misses the point of having a family car. Treasure the activity and time with your son, do what you can with whatever swivel you are using, and in a few months or so if the spirit moves you, try to change it again. Ultimately the Deville will be less problem for more complicated side punching movements, if you ever get to that point - but the learning curve at that level is not worth losing your son's interest, or perhaps yours.

Yea, I said that.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Dec 2012

I would also recommend going back to the other swivel. But you may also want to check the air pressure on your bag. Too much air will make it harder to control, especially on a ball hook. Also, how fast are you trying to go? If you try to hit too hard and too fast too soon on a ball hook that will add to your frustration.
                Think of it this way. If you have to use training wheels to get the feel and balance down riding a bike, by all means use them. After you get the feel and balance down and want more mobility you will take the wheels off. No shame in that.

fedora

Comment

• RenoRattler
                  • Sep 2009

I agree with Alan, do what makes you happy hitting the bag! We dont want you to stop bagging! Air pressure could be part of the problem, but a ballhook swivel does have a learning curve compared to chain link and u swivels.

I started on a chain link, and then switched to a ballhook. It was frustrating for me too! Ultimately the way i like to describe a link swivel is that it is somewhat guided when you strike it. Therefore it takes a less precise directional strike to operate. Your punches are more like placeholders than strikes. The ballhook takes a much more focused and a somewhat stronger and precise strike to operate as eficiently.

I prefer the ballhook because i feel for me it is a better training device, a better workout, and opens up different strikes(ie side).

Comment

• 45LongColt
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jan 2015

Well I talked it over with my son and he wants us to leave the Deville swivel on for a couple more days. He was working on it last night and says he thinks he might be getting it. He skipped single front punches and went to double front punches and was actually doing them pretty good. So if he's happy at this point, I guess I can give it a couple more days of working on it myself.

If by Sunday evening I cant figure it out, I'll switch back to the U bolt swivel.

On bag pressure. My Title bag is this model

and I have 3.7 lbs of air in it. I also have a Reyes bag this model

and the bag came with a sheet that said 10 lbs, but I just couldn't see putting that much air in it so it has 4 lbs in it.

I'll take a few pictures of my setup this evening and send them along. Maybe a video of my son doing his double front punches.

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement.

Colt

Comment

• fedora
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Dec 2012

Well I talked it over with my son and he wants us to leave the Deville swivel on for a couple more days. He was working on it last night and says he thinks he might be getting it. He skipped single front punches and went to double front punches and was actually doing them pretty good. So if he's happy at this point, I guess I can give it a couple more days of working on it myself.

If by Sunday evening I cant figure it out, I'll switch back to the U bolt swivel.

On bag pressure. My Title bag is this model

and I have 3.7 lbs of air in it. I also have a Reyes bag this model

and the bag came with a sheet that said 10 lbs, but I just couldn't see putting that much air in it so it has 4 lbs in it.

I'll take a few pictures of my setup this evening and send them along. Maybe a video of my son doing his double front punches.

Thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement.

Colt
                      I just bought a Cleto Reyes too and I saw that 10 lbs pressure label and thought, yeh right! Don't know why that is recommended, the bag would be hard as a rock at that pressure. After you bag a while you will find you won't need a gauge anymore. I used to use one all the time too, but eventually you know if it's right by squeezing your thumbs into the bag and seeing how far you can easily push it in. Usually for me it's somewhere in between 3 and 4 lbs. But everyone has their own preference so it's good to experiment when you are just getting started.

fedora

Comment

• RenoRattler
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by fedora View Post
                        I just bought a Cleto Reyes too and I saw that 10 lbs pressure label and thought, yeh right! Don't know why that is recommended, the bag would be hard as a rock at that pressure. After you bag a while you will find you won't need a gauge anymore. I used to use one all the time too, but eventually you know if it's right by squeezing your thumbs into the bag and seeing how far you can easily push it in. Usually for me it's somewhere in between 3 and 4 lbs. But everyone has their own preference so it's good to experiment when you are just getting started.

fedora
                        Ditto.

I will use a slightly less inflated bag to work on new moves, reduces the speed a bit, and is a little easier to control. Similar to switching to a larger bag. Bagging is such a "touch" activity, picking up where you like your bags inflated will come naturally with time!

Glad you guys haven't given up Colt!

Comment

• 45LongColt
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Jan 2015

Well we are still at it. I am able to hit the bag a little longer with the new swivel, just seems like its going to be a long learning curve to get back to where I was with the U bolt swivel.

Here is a short video of my progress. (kind of embarrassing actually).

Last edited by 45LongColt; 02-06-2015, 08:12 PM.

Comment

• RenoRattler
                            • Sep 2009

Well we are still at it. I am able to hit the bag a little longer with the new swivel, just seems like its going to be a long learning curve to get back to where I was with the U bolt swivel.

Here is a short video of my progress. (kind of embarrassing actually).

Nah, no embarassment there! Great job for just starting out again! Especially with a new platform and a new swivel. I think my first video looks pretty similar. We all start at the beginning! Its great to have to be able to go back and see where you were and where you are!

Just make sure you are enjoying yourself, and having a good time with your son. I think that is more important than any equipment or technique you will ever have.

Comment

• 45LongColt
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Jan 2015

Thanks everyone. I will let a little air out of the bag today and see if that helps any. My son wanted me to video him as well. I'll post one of him later in the day.

At least we're still at it and with only a couple weeks in I feel if anything I'm getting a good workout and my son loves showing off his moves to his friends.

Colt

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...