• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Getting a little better on the O-DES and O-TES

A couple of short clips practicing RDP, O-DES nad RSP, and O-DES and RSP. Clip 1 was going just fine until...................

sigpic
  • RenoRattler
    • Sep 2009

Haha, both of those made me chuckle.

Dude, nice control! I still have basically no control, I can't wait to get my SBB so I can start learning.

Those elbows are impressive!

Comment

• Jordan
      • Jun 2009

hahahahaha, great vids, both had me laughin for a minute, keep up the good work metal

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

OK, your form is looking better with less giant shoulder swings. I still hear a bunch of mis-hits, like your fists are glazing down the bag surface on front and back, which normally indicates a downward force direction. Also some "upward" motions behind the bag is causing you some mis-hits on RDP.

Basically you are now at the "practice" mode. You know the movements, and can do the techniques in simple combinations. It looks like you're comfortable with where your fists and elbows are going, which tells me you basically know the movements, you just need to practice them to hone in your timing and targeting the sweet spot on any side of the bag your hitting. That will take some time. But the good thing is, ALL of those moves will be expanded and used constantly in new techniques, so look at this as building your foundation. These are foundation movements and the more you do them the faster you will be able to learn the next wave of skills.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• The Baggist
          Vert Baggin' Master
          • May 2009

In every vid your getting smoother and smoother METALDAD!!! That dang phone!!

Comment

• atgatt
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2007

Sure, Met, rub it in. Not only do you have a much better looking platform than me, you can hit the bag a ton better than me. I felt good about myself until I saw you in action. Truly, you have some good, smooth moves.

Comment

• Kyle
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2006

your double punches are looking better than ever and your elbows are really coming along. keep up the good work

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by RenoRattler View Post

Dude, nice control! I still have basically no control, I can't wait to get my SBB so I can start learning.

Rattler.... you can still go on line and watch a some cool clips of ALan kahn and Speed Bag Skunk talking about different techniques. Yes, the SBB will be the best way to ingest and retain it all, but I get a lot out of the various clips online too....

Metaldad! You are getting better with every vid.
                I was gonna leave it at that and then read Speed Bag's post. He is right, (of course he is!)
                I think there is a simple way to improve where you are at quickly.
                From all the vids I've watched of you, you are getting better with every one. But now it seems that the advanced stuff maybe taking a priority over the basics. Getting into the linking and elbows and all that is cool, but combos are hard. I would try this....

1. Start out with all the basic basics and after 8 or 10 (or any number 4 and higher) solid repetitions throw in one advanced punch and then go back to the first punch. ex; 10 FDP's, 1 link, back to 10 FDP, one 0-DES, etc...

2. Spend more time dialing into and listening to the rebounds on all your basics. It still sounds like the rebounds coming off your punches are a little slower than your punches.

3. The volume of the bag decreases when you go to advanced stuff. Keep that in mind when practicing. A constant flow means you have constant control.

4. Sometimes I notice that your arms are moving into motion to get a punch going yet the bag is really not there yet creating a mis hit. I think you may need to focus more on the CONTACT you make and less on the correct motion. You look well balanced in all your vids, but timing the sweet spot is so crucial to keeping it all flowing.

5. Punch drumming with the basics. I know you feel the beat, so get it going! Punch drumming forces you to keep consistent.

***I don't say any of this because I am an authority. I say it because I think of all this when practicing. There is only so much time in the day and so many things you can get done, and with all the knowledge, we tend to want to be Alan and The Skunk all at once. I also say this because I recently went back and watched some of Skunk's first vids. You can see how well thought out he was back then. He dialed in basics, got them at a great speed and then puts in the advanced stuff. He has practice vids where he is working one thing over and over. Even though he ripping the punches and combos faster than most, he is doing it with a focused repetition.
                Before the speed and accuracy come together, we need to dial in the little things that will help us get there faster.
                (My left DES was and still is not as good as my right. I had to step back and see and feel why. It was and is simply because I don't get the left into the same exact comfy position as quickly as my right. So now that I have really become aware of that. I slowly go through patterns making sure that it "feels" the same on both sides.....
                OK..... that's enough or now....!!
                BAG ON!

Comment

• metaldad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by RenoRattler View Post

Thanks Rattler! Just like Spins said, The SBB is the ultimate source for getting all the techniques down, but you can also check out vids that are posted. Follow Alan's, Spin's, Biff's and all the experienced punchers here and you'll improve drastically. When you order your SBB, get the video series also, it definitely helps!!

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                  hahahahaha, great vids, both had me laughin for a minute, keep up the good work metal
                  Thanks Jordan. I gotta have a little humor with my practice!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  OK, your form is looking better with less giant shoulder swings. I still hear a bunch of mis-hits, like your fists are glazing down the bag surface on front and back, which normally indicates a downward force direction. Also some "upward" motions behind the bag is causing you some mis-hits on RDP.

Basically you are now at the "practice" mode. You know the movements, and can do the techniques in simple combinations. It looks like you're comfortable with where your fists and elbows are going, which tells me you basically know the movements, you just need to practice them to hone in your timing and targeting the sweet spot on any side of the bag your hitting. That will take some time. But the good thing is, ALL of those moves will be expanded and used constantly in new techniques, so look at this as building your foundation. These are foundation movements and the more you do them the faster you will be able to learn the next wave of skills.
                  Thanks Alan, advice well taken! When I got my camcorder, I was such an "eager beaver" to show off some skills that I had forgone the basics. But you're so right: Build a good foundation and the house stands strong

Originally posted by The Baggist View Post
                  In every vid your getting smoother and smoother METALDAD!!! That dang phone!!
                  Thanks Baggist. Usually the phone isn't an issue. I keep it for emergencies and for the clock. But sometimes I just wanna heave it as far as I can lol

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                  Sure, Met, rub it in. Not only do you have a much better looking platform than me, you can hit the bag a ton better than me. I felt good about myself until I saw you in action. Truly, you have some good, smooth moves.
                  Oh stop it atgatt, you of the innovation(there's hat word again) and ripped arms to go with lol! and thank you

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                  your double punches are looking better than ever and your elbows are really coming along. keep up the good work
                  Thanks Kyle. Have you started training yet? How's it going so far?

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                  Rattler.... you can still go on line and watch a some cool clips of ALan kahn and Speed Bag Skunk talking about different techniques. Yes, the SBB will be the best way to ingest and retain it all, but I get a lot out of the various clips online too....

Metaldad! You are getting better with every vid.
                  I was gonna leave it at that and then read Speed Bag's post. He is right, (of course he is!)
                  I think there is a simple way to improve where you are at quickly.
                  From all the vids I've watched of you, you are getting better with every one. But now it seems that the advanced stuff maybe taking a priority over the basics. Getting into the linking and elbows and all that is cool, but combos are hard. I would try this....

1. Start out with all the basic basics and after 8 or 10 (or any number 4 and higher) solid repetitions throw in one advanced punch and then go back to the first punch. ex; 10 FDP's, 1 link, back to 10 FDP, one 0-DES, etc...

2. Spend more time dialing into and listening to the rebounds on all your basics. It still sounds like the rebounds coming off your punches are a little slower than your punches.

3. The volume of the bag decreases when you go to advanced stuff. Keep that in mind when practicing. A constant flow means you have constant control.

4. Sometimes I notice that your arms are moving into motion to get a punch going yet the bag is really not there yet creating a mis hit. I think you may need to focus more on the CONTACT you make and less on the correct motion. You look well balanced in all your vids, but timing the sweet spot is so crucial to keeping it all flowing.

5. Punch drumming with the basics. I know you feel the beat, so get it going! Punch drumming forces you to keep consistent.

***I don't say any of this because I am an authority. I say it because I think of all this when practicing. There is only so much time in the day and so many things you can get done, and with all the knowledge, we tend to want to be Alan and The Skunk all at once. I also say this because I recently went back and watched some of Skunk's first vids. You can see how well thought out he was back then. He dialed in basics, got them at a great speed and then puts in the advanced stuff. He has practice vids where he is working one thing over and over. Even though he ripping the punches and combos faster than most, he is doing it with a focused repetition.
                  Before the speed and accuracy come together, we need to dial in the little things that will help us get there faster.
                  (My left DES was and still is not as good as my right. I had to step back and see and feel why. It was and is simply because I don't get the left into the same exact comfy position as quickly as my right. So now that I have really become aware of that. I slowly go through patterns making sure that it "feels" the same on both sides.....
                  OK..... that's enough or now....!!
                  BAG ON!
                  Thanks Brian! As I said before this is the same reason I'm not as good as I should be on the guitar; I wanna run before I walk. Baggin' and guitar playin' hit me the same way. I stumbled onto Alan's website a couple years ago and got a platform. Saw some vids of him and NEEDED to have those type of skills. When I saw Steve Vai and Ralph Machio(Ry Cooder actually) in "Crossroads", I NEEDEDto be able to play like that. 20 years later and Steve Vai still rules, and I still suck, why? I never had the patience to focus on the basics, going slow and building speed and accuracy.With your's and Alan's and everyone else's feedback feedback, I've really been working on breaking old habits and trying to improve. Thanks again
                  Last edited by metaldad; 09-30-2009, 10:20 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar
                  sigpic

Comment

• Kyle
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                    Thanks Kyle. Have you started training yet? How's it going so far?
                    not yet im starting monday

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...