Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crapshoot
    • Apr 2010

Are we talking about the same thing? I thought the "shank" was referring to the eyebolt part.

Comment

• jimcaher
      • Feb 2010

I solved the problem of the treaded eye bolt from the plastic swivel slipping out of the Watkins ball by using JB Weld. I probably should have JB Qwik because I don't think I'll ever be able to separate the stem from the ball if the hook wears out- at least not without a torch.

I posted the details to the forum a couple of months ago if anyone is interested.

Jim

Comment

• RenoRattler
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by operator3 View Post
        I can always have the shop make the set screw and the hole it's tapped into made larger. I'll also request that they use a torx bit for the set screw instead of the usuall Allen. Good feedback
        The longer set screw is a definite must, I don't know if the torx is necessary though. I haven't had too much trouble with the allen.

Comment

• operator3
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by RenoRattler View Post
          The longer set screw is a definite must, I don't know if the torx is necessary though. I haven't had too much trouble with the allen.
          shouldn't be a problem to get a longer set screw. How about one with a larger diameter?

Comment

• RenoRattler
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by operator3 View Post
            shouldn't be a problem to get a longer set screw. How about one with a larger diameter?
            Well, I think that the larger the allen is that you can use, the more torque you can put on it. So, larger would probably be more secure.

I don't know if the size of the hole on the outside of the ball for the set screw will affect anything though.

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by RenoRattler View Post
              Well, I think that the larger the allen is that you can use, the more torque you can put on it. So, larger would probably be more secure.
              The 3/32nd allen I had to use to tighten it felt like it was going to snap in my hand. Personally I'd prefer a larger size so I can put more torque on it. The everlast metal uses a larger size allen (not sure which size, but it is definitely larger).

That said, I wouldn't make any changes just yet. I need to get some real "hands on" time in the garage at home before I offer up any real suggestions.

Comment

• crapshoot
                • Apr 2010

I agree with Tim in waiting on changes until all the data is in. The only thing I can recommend, and take this with a grain/truck load of salt, is maybe cutting a key slot in the post/shank for the screw to sit in.

I would first look at the ball hook shank dimensions. That is where the looseness seems to be originating.

Comment

• bagdaddy
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jun 2010

[QUOTE=operator3;20966]It might be a little while before we have a "full swivel set". I am using the everlast base as a model for the new one. The holes should be exactly the same. The only difference, will be a metal base instead of plastic. Once the base is done, I only have one more part to make(the hook). My hook design/idea will be the best hook the speedbag world has seen so far.

As for your rotator, do a search for "external rotation exercises". Should decrease your down time significantly.[/QUOTE]

Thanks operator3!

I did Google "external rotation exercises" and I got some good info. Thanks again!

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                    Yes, unfortunately I didn't have time to swap out for another eyebolt. I used the eyebolt from a plastic ball, as that was all I had that was readily available.

Also the hex key i had was quite small and it was hard to really torque the set screw down.

There just wasn't enough time to do all we wanted to do at the event.

The new breed swivel will be up on one of my platforms in the near future, and I will give it a full workout and troubleshooting session.
                    I have an available unthreaded shank that I'll try when I get time.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• alan2312
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Oct 2011

Need a swivel with a 1/4" holes about 2 and 3/16" apart

I apologize if I am off topic, but I bought a used heavy bag / speed bag combo and it does not have the swivel. It looks like it might be a Century model

Is there any chance you might know where I could find a swivel with a mounting plate with 1/4" holes about 2 and 3/16" apart.

Thanks.

Comment

• Speedbag
                        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by alan2312 View Post
                        I apologize if I am off topic, but I bought a used heavy bag / speed bag combo and it does not have the swivel. It looks like it might be a Century model

Is there any chance you might know where I could find a swivel with a mounting plate with 1/4" holes about 2 and 3/16" apart.

Thanks.
                        This swivel will probably work (Everlast ballhook, plastic)

or one of these http://store.titleboxing.com/speed-b...s-swivels.html

You can always drill new holes if you space them in between the others. Most holes on the swivel bases will line up. The threading parts may not, but the board holes normally do.

hope it helps. Good luck.
                        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...