• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonb
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2015

Swivel for local gym

Hi: I'm trying to get my local YMCA to update their speed bag platforms. The 2 platforms have old swivel bases - the threaded kind which don't have the actual swivel permanently attached. One is the standard Everlast one. The other looks like it dates from maybe World War II... Any suggestions for what swivels I should recommend to the Y? Seems like there's 4 options.

1. A ball hook swivel which would allow people to bring/use their own bags. But all the ones I can find seem to be designed for experts and/or home use only.
    2. The Everlast basic swivel (4444?) seems like it would be a pain to switch bags (ie. to remove the cotter pin) for people to use their own bags, but not hard enough to stop anyone stealing the bag if the Y folks left one attached.
    3. A 2-part threaded swivel like the old Everlast one they have installed at the moment (just the base). This way, the Y could keep a bag at the front desk, and anyone who wanted to use it could thread it into the base. Any recommendations for such a swivel?
    4. A chain link swivel. Is there one people recommend that doesn't come in 2 parts? that way it could be left installed without (much) risk that someone would steal the bag since removing the link would be a pain.

Any good ideas very much appreciated. Thanks, Simon
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

In that type of situation the ball hook swivel is ideal. It was the standard type of swivel for decades, and contrary to what you might hear, it's not difficult to use. It does force the user to focus more where their hands are, but that's the idea, that and a little patience.

Comment

• simonb
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Nov 2015

Thanks guys. Any particular recommendations for a ball/hook swivel? The SwivelTek LTX Ball Hook Swivel from speedbagshack looks great, but a) I can't tell if it comes apart, increasing the risk that the hook part would be stolen and b) it says it's for intermediate/advanced users... I think I read somewhere that the Deville No.13 is not recommended for commercial gyms.

Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance. S

Comment

• Bag Man
        • Jan 2011

Is there one people recommend that doesn't come in 2 parts? that way it could be left installed without (much) risk that someone would steal the bag since removing the link would be a pain.

I suggest a liberal application of Loctite, or a similar thread locking product, to any two piece swivel. Keeps 'em honest.

Bag Man
        "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Bag Man View Post
          Is there one people recommend that doesn't come in 2 parts? that way it could be left installed without (much) risk that someone would steal the bag since removing the link would be a pain.

I suggest a liberal application of Loctite, or a similar thread locking product, to any two piece swivel. Keeps 'em honest.

Bag Man
          Two part swivels are an enigma. Stealing the lower part is the least of your worries. The biggest problem with multiple, often beginner users, is the cross threading and stripping of the threads, making the base (attached to the board) useless from that point on. Especially on the last models produced with softer metal that were almost impossible NOT to cross thread or strip, and if you did get the bag on without ruining the threads they would rattle loose, requiring continual tightening.

I also agree with Ventanakaz, that there is a misconception that ball hooks are harder to use or require "more control" to use. I would say that is not true, but I also know that all ballhooks are not created equal so some do seem to be more problematic. To my hands, the everlast plastic ballhook seem to give a "floating" rebound, hard to describe but my rebound brain said "something's wrong". the bag went slower than expected "every once in a while", not on every punch. The early models of the Deville ballhook had a similar floating sensation and MsDeville fixed it by adding a heavier ball. The latest model of the Deville ball hook does NOT do that and has the advantage of the larger S hook to allow any bag to be attached. It is fast and accurate, allowing you to punch with confidence from all around the bag. That is the beauty of the ballhook, for all the other designs, chain link or U-bolt will occasionally mess with the rebound due to their design. They are fine for punching from the front and back, but adding in the side techniques will cause problems. That is not just my opinion, that is the opinion of every advanced bagger I have known, which is a few.

The newer Swivetek ballhook is also a great ballhook, fast and quiet. So I would suggest your YMCA stick with either a Deville or a the Swiveltek.

I might add that both swivels are available at "The speedbagshack.com" Personally I think the "warning" that they are for advanced users only is a bit overblown. A beginning speed bagger who starts with one will not know the difference and an experienced bagger will be able to adapt to these swivels pretty quickly.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• simonb
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Nov 2015

Thanks very much everyone. Does the SwivelTek come apart into 2 pieces? The knurled ring makes me wonder if it does. Simon

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...