• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by tump View Post
    Yeah - will probably go with a 30-36" diameter platform.
    36" would be great.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2015

Hi tump. What I came up with when I built my first one is basically a plywood box screwed together with some framing timber on the inside. I screwed it to the ceiling joists sideways from the inside. Then I poured two big bags of fastcrete concrete in and let it set. For safety I later added the brackets on the outside so it didn't fall apart. Being so heavy and braced on all sides by the ply, it in itself is very solid, but the ceiling joists are a bit shaky and from there comes the vibration. My family prefer I punchdrum on that one rather than just randomly hit the bag because the sound goes through our whole house.

If I was to build a more quiet one, from floor joists in a lower storey in a house, I'd try to make a very heavy hanging drum probably concrete. My theory would be with it hanging, suspended by something not rigid under pressure like a thick rope, the vibes might not so badly be transferred to the floor joists. If it was very heavy it would have a great rebound.
      It could be done by propping a sheet of ply up to height and boxing the shape of the drum ontop. It could be any shape. Construct a steel frame to be cast into the concrete and hook up the rope or chains that it will hang from then pour concrete. Strip the boxing and remove the props and if you had put threaded rod through the ply you'd have them to bolt your swivel onto. It would be cheap to build too.

Comment

• mirokiuru
        • Jun 2015

I wanna also help! I'v build 2 boards, one bit more stylish (so my neighbours can be jealous ) for outside use and one for winter use inside.

Since our warehouse is small i had to think how i add something as big as speedbag platform. I decides to add big wooden board over 2 shelfs. At this point my board was vibrating like crazy. I attached my board to shelfs whit screws and bolts since they were sturdy metal shelfs.
        to make my new board extra vibration free i made wooden frames what i glued to board and then ceiling whit some super glue for that purpose. then i just filled the space beetween my board and ceiling (what was about 20cm) whit all kind of fluffy stuff i found in our warehouse. I also threw some sandbags there.
        Im hitting that board in my music hitting video and you can see if you whats it that it doesent vibrate at all
        sorry for long story, im not native english speaker
        bag on!

Comment

• Vito
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jan 2016

Isolate from Ceiling

I'm planning my basement setup. It seems that any thing that is attached to the ceiling beams is going to resonate through-out the house. I think I'm going to use two vertical 4x4s set in buckets of cement, shoved-up against the wall (I don't want to be drilling into my 75yo cement-block walls!). The fact that it will be resting on the floor and tight up-against the wall should make it steady. And the fact that it is physically isolated from the ceiling should prevent the sound from traveling through the structure of the house.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...