Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Ideal bag height?

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
    [ATTACH]96[/ATTACH]

Howz this?
    that camera angle makes it almost impossible to determine, at least for me. Having the camera above or below the normal level of the bag, (chin-to-nose) makes it very difficult to tell if the bag height or swing motion is correct because the viewing perspective makes judging location and distance difficult. It is much easier to determine speed bag setup, and swing motions etc. from a level side perspective.

here is what I think is the correct setup for hitting the way "we" do, (from all around the bag). Notice the straight line from the lips, through the hands, to the belly of the bag. A second key feature to this setup is the upper arm and elbow position, up close to parallel. As you scroll down the page you will see the same camera perspective. Most of my pictures are setup that way, so the alignments can be easily determined.

Typically, boxers set it higher, under the theory that they will better learn and train to hold the arms up. Many of them have the belly of the bag at the forehead, which I believe makes it very difficult to punch effectively from the back and sides. But boxers don't focus on hitting from the back and sides. They also want to keep their elbows down to train for protecting the sides and waistline, stomach and ribs. Again, very difficult to hit from all sides with the elbows low. And after 36 years of hitting the speed bag, not one has ever hit me in the ribs.

Nose and chin, yes, ribs no.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by chumbucket View Post
    What is the correct height for a speed bag to be? The platform at the gym I train has the bottom of the bag hangs around my collar bone. My personal set up at home is anchored in the wall and does not adjust; the bottom of the bag comes to my chin. I will be moving soon and want to set it up to the correct height to best benifit my training. All feedback appreciated!
    Personally, I like the fatest part of the bag ( the belly) at mouth or chin level. Here is a picture of it.

I hit the bag from all sides and I have found that is the most efficient position for passing the fists through the bag. By in large, boxing related videos, interviews and shows normally depict the speed bag higher, wth the belly up at the forehead. Boxing coaches and a lot of folks I have seen punching the bag like it higher thinking that position helps hold the hands up and works the shoulders better. But they normally only hit from the front of the bag. IF you want to pass your fists to other sides and use the elbows it is harder to do with a high bag position.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
    Working...