X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Griffin
    • Jan 2010

The home platform is UP!

Well, here's a quick preview of what turned out to be more of a project than anticipated. The platform is simply awesome, NO vibration whatsoever, and a HUGE improvement over the flimsy bag at the gym that I was learning on...

Many more photos to come of the whole project, but this is the final result, and I'm so excited about it I had to post this first pic...

Rest of the details to follow! Tomorrow, I'm hittin' on my own bag...

Griffin
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Griffin; 01-17-2010, 11:02 PM.
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

With the center brace, I can't imagine any vibration. Very sturdy looking set-up. Enjoy!

Comment

• Kyle
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2006

wow thats an amazing looking setup. you will enjoy that big time.

Comment

• fingers
        Speed Bag Guru
        • May 2008

Now that is a nice platform!! enjoy.

Comment

• goju
          • Aug 2009

very nice

Comment

• atgatt
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2007

Looks GREAT. Does the height adjust easily? How heavy would you say it is?

Again, nice job.

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

That looks like a speed bag beast. Original hanging system from the looks of it. I'm seeing threads were I normally see bolt heads.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• sparrky37
                • Jan 2010

Strong work! All projects end up being more than anticiapted! My platform at my Dad's fire dept. is in a brick wall also I'll have to get in the groove of posting pics.Good Job

Comment

• Griffin
                  • Jan 2010

Thanks for all the great compliments, everyone --

Here's the story and a quick slideshow of the project: I have been hitting for almost two months on a very rickety setup at the gym that didn't improve much even as I loaded it with weights, so I was determined to get something strong. I read all the links, and looked at all the home projects on the forum (there are some GREAT projects out there!) and had pretty much decided to fabricate one with a friend of mine who has a shop. But I was still checking Craigslist and eBay every other day or so... and I came across this setup. It was only $125, and I pounced.

The frame was exactly what I wanted -- stout, extends out over the drum, bracing bar extending to the front of the frame, and accessibility directly above the swivel (after ALL of the swivel section, and Alan's swivel pages, this was not an option). So after pretty much arriving at this very design, I was stunned to find it already out there, custom-made. I was feeling good...

The only feature it lacked was height-adjustability, and since my wife is learning as well, I decided to design some brackets that will allow us to move it. Check out my first video on youtube:

Comment

• Griffin
                    • Jan 2010

So... it's not totally completed. I've got some knobs coming that will replace the nuts on the front of the frame, and I may put a simple cord with a pulley and counterweight to make it even easier to adjust... I've seen that design, and it looks terrific.

One of the minor setbacks was drilling into some empty blocks in the wall; apparently they didn't have to completely fill and vibrate cinderblock walls with concrete, as they require now. I had to use lead anchor shields instead of the Red Head drop-in anchors. But I can tell you: this platform does not move or vibrate AT ALL -- has kind of a hand drumming sound, which I love....

I'd be happy to make a this design available for free to anyone who wants to copy it. It cost less than seventy bucks to have these brackets made at a local fabricators --- it's 3" "C" channel, the center slot is milled on a vertical mill, and the bolts are 5" carriage bolts. Putting the lithium grease may help them slide a bit better.

The overall width of the brackets is 5", which will allow them to be mounted on 2x6 wood as well -- on conventional wood framing I would probably mount three horizontal 2x6's at the bottom middle and top of the brackets that span three wall studs, then proceed similarly.

Hope this helps! Thanks for the comments, guys... Time to practice!!

Comment

• Tim
                      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                      Thanks for all the great compliments, everyone --
                      Great looking platform, looks very solid. Thanks for sharing the details on how you made it adjustable. Now let's see some punching

Comment

• Griffin
                        • Jan 2010

LOL! You bet! Can't wait to show you where I'm at...

Should have my swivel mounted this week, and I'll sort out the video soon,

Griffin

Comment

• Biff
                          Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Wow, Griffin, what a setup; looks solid. You did a great job. Can't wait to see it (and you) in action.

Comment

• Bruce
                            • Dec 2009

Just finished watching the Youtube video. You did a fine job documenting the setup. Looks rock solid.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Great platform!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...