• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Biff View Post
    I hope to find out for myself. I'm waiting over 2 weeks now for fitness-equipment to fill my order for 3 replacement steel balls and the longer S-hook. Called twice and was told the order is "being processed."

A few months ago when I ordered the replacements with the shorter hooks, they told me the shorter S-hooks were on back order. After waiting several months for their supply to get replenished, I told them just send the replacements with the longer hooks. Still waiting.

Never had a problem with them until recently. Not sure what's up with them lately.
    My understanding is they make their own equipment. That is why each one looks "worked on" when you get it.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 02-27-2010, 08:00 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Griffin
      • Jan 2010

They're definitely heating and bending the eye hooks, Alan. But I kinda doubt they're casting the bases... but I could be wrong, of course. How different are they from the old metal Everlast bases?

I've also had a hell of a time getting friendly customer service from them. Like many in the forum experienced, they were curt with me and have been less than honest (I'll go ahead and say it -- I've got a lot of years reading people) when dealing with the shorter hooks perpetually "on backorder"... I'm not really expecting to get mine...

BUT... I love the combo of the Watkins ball with the plastic Everlast base, so on the whole I'm happy. Starting to get the nuances of the new swivel, and I no longer miss the U-hook that I began with. Almost time to post a new video to get some feedback....

Comment

• operator3
        • Mar 2010

I ordered my ball from there also. They seemed pretty cool to me.... They said I should have it by Wednesday(4days). We'll see. I'm so excited to get my Watkins and my plastic Everlast base! The Ibox has been hung for a few months now and Im DIEING to get some nasty bows going!
        Last edited by operator3; 03-07-2010, 10:59 PM.

Comment

• Biff
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Well, I called again this afternoon, said that I was checking on an order. I was asked for my name, and as soon as I gave it, the guy said, "Oh yea, you ordered those replacement metal balls. Let me check..........The ordering department has 600 orders to fill, we'll get yours out late today."

Last week when I called there were a thouisand orders waiting to go out. At this rate, I should have my order by the end of the month.

I'm really at a loss. I can't figure them out. I generally take people at their word, and I'm a pretty patient person, but this is getting ridiculous. If they weren't the only game in town, I'd have told them to pound sand by now.

Well, let's see where this goes. And the beat goes on......

Comment

• operator3
            • Mar 2010

Anyone know a machineist? I'm sure we could have a bunch made. We could even make them with aluminum so they would be super light and smooth finish.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by operator3 View Post
              Anyone know a machineist? I'm sure we could have a bunch made. We could even make them with aluminum so they would be super light and smooth finish.
              I'm not sure that would be a good deal, for the plastic ballhook is "super light" and most think it "floats" in the rebound. I definitely reacts differently than a metal ballhook. I'm not sure a lightweight swivel adds anything to it's overall action once it's bolted to the board. Just like "super light" bags hardly move as fast as a bit heavier bag, for they seem to "float" off the fist.

but I'd love to find a source for reliable metal ballhooks. i had great faith in the Watkins swivel, but their customer service, and swivel availability are really dissing the speed bag community. And it's not like that product will have any other viable outlet.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• operator3
                • Mar 2010

I should be able to make something happen. Once I get my watkins, Ill do a little reverse engineering.

Comment

• Griffin
                  • Jan 2010

Alan,

Has anyone ever tried putting a bar or some other device on the inside of the swivel base to eliminate the "float"?

Seems to be do-able, IMHO... just wondering if you had tried it.

Comment

• paranday
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                    Alan,

Has anyone ever tried putting a bar or some other device on the inside of the swivel base to eliminate the "float"?

Seems to be do-able, IMHO... just wondering if you had tried it.
                    I've wondered the same thing. The ball maybe should have a limit on top. I still don't know why it floats, maybe from the shank of the hook hitting the side the base?

Comment

• Griffin
                      • Jan 2010

Well, the float is partially a GOOD thing, because it tells me I've mis-hit...

So from a practice and self-improvement standpoint, I like it.

But if I were designing the ultimate swivel, I'd eliminate the float in the interest of higher performance.

One simple solution would be a round piece of hard plastic, diameter equal to the hole in the back of the swivel base, at just the right thickness to keep the ball from traveling upwards...

Could maybe even have a concavity machined into it, equal to the diameter of the ball.... just a thought...

Comment

• Dutchman
                        Speed Bag Historian
                        • Jun 2006

It is very possible to make a precision ball and socket swivel. It will need to be made out of a higher quality steel and require much more precise machining. It will also be very pricey, unfortunately.

Comment

• Biff
                          Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

[Fingers-crossed ]UPDATE - Just on-line and checked my credit card statement. Transaction from Fitness-Equipment shows charge for my replacement metals balls/hooks. I haven't received an email confirmation yet, but I hope to see the order soon. [/Fingers-crossed]

Film at 11:00.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by operator3 View Post
                            i should be able to make something happen. Once i get my watkins, ill do a little reverse engineering.
                            Good doggie!
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• operator3
                              • Mar 2010

I just got home and saw A USPS box at my door. Its my new Watkins swivel!! I immediately pulled it apart and looked at it. We could definitely get one of these mass produced. Im wondering if it would be better to go with a newer material that would have a SUPER long life. It might cost more initially, but you would probably only need to buy 1. We could use the same materials that they make hip replacements with. That would guarantee a really long life. Any other suggestions are welcome.Even if we made these out of steel, They would be precision machined and last FOREVER. They would cost a little more than the Watkins, but they would be worth it. I attached my hybrid hook to my Watkins ball. This kinda gives me the benefits of the loop hook and the ball hook. It looks like it might actually work out pretty well. Cant wait to get it crankin.

Last edited by operator3; 03-13-2010, 02:56 PM.

Comment

• Biff
                                Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                                [Fingers-crossed ]UPDATE - Just on-line and checked my credit card statement. Transaction from Fitness-Equipment shows charge for my replacement metals balls/hooks. I haven't received an email confirmation yet, but I hope to see the order soon. [/Fingers-crossed]

Film at 11:00.
                                [VENT ON]

Well I gave them a call today, and asked about my order. I told them my credit card was billed (on the 10th), I didn't receive an email, nor did I get the replacements. The guy tells me, "We're out of everything. I'll tell accounting to credit your card."

It's been one excuse after another for the last 3 months. As I stated earlier in this thread, if they weren't the only game in time, I'd look elsewhere.

Which leads me to my questions:

1) Has anyone received ANY watkins metal swivels and/or replacement parts in the last 3 months? And if so, when did you order and when did they arrive?

2) Can anyone on the forum, machine just the ball and set screw? I rather pay someone else at this point. I can use hooks from Everalst plastic swivels, make the hybrid "guts" and install inside the Everlast plastic housing.

3) Anyone else experiencing long waits and/or availablity excuses from them?

It's like WTF with this company. Never had an issue before this year. I hate to .
                                But I'm getting pretty , and tired of

[VENT OFF]

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...