• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pegasos
    • Feb 2007

Speed Bag on the wall

Greetings!

This is my first message and i thought i could ask a question.

I bought my first speed bag today, i ve been practising with a heavy bag for quite some time now, but dont have any experience at all with a speed bag.

I dont have a board, nor room for a board actually, and i was thinking of puting it on the wall somehow.

Any ideas how i should do that?

Anyone already uses a speed bag on a wall?

I could buy some iron thing to adjust it so that it is hanging from it and thus be in the same position as if hanging from a normal speed bag board.
    Or i thought i could simply drill the wall and put it horizontally, parallel to the floor, and exercise hiting it downwards.

Would these be appropriate methods of training?

All comments welcome
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

I'm not really clear on what you're asking. If you're asking if you can mount a bag vertically, yes it's been done, here's a link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=W3-KtGFR6GA

I don't think it's the best way to learn though.

If you've got a space about three feet by three feet square, you've got enough room for a speed bag.

There's lots of people that have made their own platform out of plywood and 2x4's and there are very inexpensive speedbag platforms that can be bought for about $50.00. Most of us started with a platform identical to this one: http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-6-Pie...sporting-goods

Comment

• Pegasos
      • Feb 2007

Alright, so that speedbag on the video is probably stuck to the wall by a normal swivel?

Any online directions maybe, inside the forum perhaps, about making one's own platform??

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

Yes, there are several discussions about home made platforms. I know it's under "General Discussion", the one this post is in. Just browse through, you'll find it, I'm pretty sure the title is "home made platforms" or something to that effect.

There's only 7 or 8 pages, it won't take long to find it.

Comment

• Pegasos
          • Feb 2007

thanx a lot man, i m puting in on the wall tonight to try it out, the problem is that where i live swivels cost about 30 euros n do about a week to arrive after i order them! So i m puting a normal screw in the wall and try it this way..
          Last edited by Pegasos; 02-16-2007, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• SpeedBagSkunk
            Speed Bag Skunk doesn't need a title, you already know

• Oct 2006

hey

well im guess you have already seen the speed bag skunk with the ball mounted on the wall. a good way to hit the bag if you dont have a platform but most all my platforms i made myself and just go to lowes and you will find all the things you need for less than 30 bucks to make you a great platform. I would get good at hittingg it normal before mounting it on the wall. Hope this info helps

Comment

• Pegasos
              • Feb 2007

"Lowes"?

Mhehehe, man i am in Southeast Europe...

there are no "lowes" here..

Comment

• BillyMack
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Pegasos View Post
                there are no "lowes" here..
                What about Home Depot? Just kidding....

I'm curious, where do you live? Turkey??

Comment

• Pegasos
                  • Feb 2007

I m not sure what Home Depot is... i ll have to get back to you

As for your curiosity, i said Southeast EUROPE dude, NOT western ASIA..

I live in Greece.

Comment

• Pegasos
                    • Feb 2007

This is what it looks like, but the training options are obviously limited......

I ll have to make a platform myself

Comment

• Chris M
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Mar 2006

I have time now so I looked up the discussions on homemade platforms.

Here they are:

and

Tips and tricks for mounting your speed bag platform. Ideas, information, and examples of home made or customized platforms

and

and this may be the best one yet:

I don't know if you'll be able to get anything out of it or not but what it gets down to is you need to make it as sturdy as you can, mounted to the wall studs or other immovable object such as a wall or ceiling beam with a board that's no less than 3/4 of an inch, preferably more, like 1 1/2 inches.

If you need any help, please ask us!

Comment

• Tim
                        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
                        I have time now so I looked up the discussions on homemade platforms.
                        Thanks for taking the time to do that, I was going to do that during lunch today but was too busy. I made a sticky post with the info: http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...=1896#post1896

Comment

• Pegasos
                          • Feb 2007

Thank you Tim and Chris, nice threads n i cant deny these were nice homemade boards, but i was actually expecting something with actual instructions, step by step like, on making these wooden boards..

Comment

• Tim
                            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Pegasos View Post
                            Thank you Tim and Chris, nice threads n i cant deny these were nice homemade boards, but i was actually expecting something with actual instructions, step by step like, on making these wooden boards..
                            I don't think I've seen step by step instructions anywhere... sorry If you know anyone who is handy with tools and/or woodworking they probably could tell you what to do just by looking at the pictures.

Comment

• Speedbag
                              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Speed Bag Instructions

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                              I don't think I've seen step by step instructions anywhere... sorry If you know anyone who is handy with tools and/or woodworking they probably could tell you what to do just by looking at the pictures.
                              I am also asked this question at least two or three times a week via speedbagcentral.com. I am also at a loss for "specific" instructions, for there is NO single answer to this question. It really depends on where and how it would be hung, If the user has access to different types of wood or steel, as well as the tools and knowledge to work with both. It is not as easy as it looks. I understand the desire to build-your-own, (perhaps a man thing..) but it is just way easier to purchase a pre-fab unit of whatever size and price range you can afford.

Several of our Forum members are gifted craftsmen, and I envy them for that.
                              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                              The Quest Continues...
                              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...