• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Mister
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Sep 2015

Speed bag and swivel quality question

So I recently purchased a new Rival 8x5 speed bag and rival swivel from a local retailer, got it set up but noticed a few things. For starters there is a large gap between the bolt and the u piece. Any picture I've seen of other U bolt style swivels, shows a a tight fit. The action is really good when I'm going fast but it's almost impossible to properly hit lightly as the swivel just spins around. Is this common?

Also once I got my bag inflated and installed it seems to be a bit lopsided. It's really noticeable where the top loop meets the bag but also the bag in general seems to have a bit of a lean going on. My other speed bag doesn't do this.

Edit. Turns out I can't upload pics properly on my phone so I'll try linking to Imageshack photos one at a time

• Mr. Mister
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Sep 2015

Comment

• Mr. Mister
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Sep 2015

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Mr. Mister View Post
        So I recently purchased a new Rival 8x5 speed bag and rival swivel from a local retailer, got it set up but noticed a few things. For starters there is a large gap between the bolt and the u piece. Any picture I've seen of other U bolt style swivels, shows a a tight fit. The action is really good when I'm going fast but it's almost impossible to properly hit lightly as the swivel just spins around. Is this common?
        In my experience with them, yes it is.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• sidepocketmagi
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Aug 2015

I just went through something similar. I put washers on each side of the u-bolt and it helped a lot. It also cut down on some of the noise that was coming from the swivel. As far as your problem with the bag hanging crooked I went through that recently too. I bought a Title Pro Mex bag and put it on the swivel. It hung lopsided and also had a seam facing almost directly toward me. I looked more closely and the loop was sewn on crooked. Poor craftsmanship was the problem and I sent the bag back to Title..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mr. Mister
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Sep 2015

Thanks for the replies. I think I might contact rival about these issues. I'm just a little surprised to buy two "pro qualty" pieces of equipment from a reputable company and have one of them be flawed and the other needs to be tweaked for proper performance.

Comment

• Mr. Mister
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Sep 2015

Just went to my boxing room to use my setup and the bag was flat. I pumped it up and after the first hit it was deflated again. I'm assuming the bladder is done. I've had a total of five sessions with this bag and it's done. And for the record I don't do any funky punches or pin the bag or anything. Just straight up back and forth stuff. Don't want to sound like a downer but I'm really starting to doubt the quality of rival products.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Mr. Mister View Post
                Just went to my boxing room to use my setup and the bag was flat. I pumped it up and after the first hit it was deflated again. I'm assuming the bladder is done. I've had a total of five sessions with this bag and it's done. And for the record I don't do any funky punches or pin the bag or anything. Just straight up back and forth stuff. Don't want to sound like a downer but I'm really starting to doubt the quality of rival products.
                So am I. The bag at the ROA kickboxing gym in my town is a Rival and yep. It is always flat. However I have put a Title bladder into everything else (including my shoe) and none of them ever loses air. Maybe try the Rival bag with a Title orange bladder. They're only 3.99 too.

Comment

• stefoz
                  • Apr 2015

i own a lot of speed bags .what ever i bought i kept .except 2 of them.
                  Adidas and rival.From the very first day they arrived i spent 5min on each and then got rid of them (ebay) .they felt nothing like speed bags.
                  Waste of time.For me anyway. Even tried it with title bladder.still not happy.
                  Every speedbagger does his own research and and find the best speed bag for him.
                  A bag that nobody ever complaints its the cleto reyes.
                  I recommend it.

Comment

• Mr. Mister
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Sep 2015

I contacted the local store that I purchased the bag from looking to buy a replacement bladder and they told me they don't sell them and I have to contact rival directly.

So I emailed customer service and they eventually got back to me (5 days later) saying they have no bladders and unfortunately I would have to buy a whole new speed bag. Basically the response email was politely telling me to piss off.

I try to buy locally when i can and I went with rival because they are one of the only Canadian boxing companies but this experience has left me with a sour taste in my mouth. In fact I'm completely insulted with the entire experience. I wouldn't even buy a pair of wraps from this company out of spite. I'm completely turned off of anything with the rival brand name.

I'm currently looking into the yellow title 8x5 super bag.

I currently own the title gel world bag gloves. They're nice gloves.

I've heard great things about the company....
                    Last edited by Mr. Mister; 09-30-2015, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• Dutchman
                      Speed Bag Historian
                      • Jun 2006

Title is a great company to deal with, they stand behind what they sell.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2015

The yellow Title bag is a sweet bag arite.

Comment

• stefoz
                          • Apr 2015

A friend of mine had the same problem with his rival.we tryed a title bladder and the bag got perfect.even better rebounds than before.this is guaranteed to work.cheers

Comment

• Mr. Mister
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Sep 2015

Originally posted by stefoz View Post
                            A friend of mine had the same problem with his rival.we tryed a title bladder and the bag got perfect.even better rebounds than before.this is guaranteed to work.cheers
                            I'm probably going to place an order tonight for a few spare bladders and either a yellow 5x8 super or a similar size platinum. They both seem awesome

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
                              • Apr 2012

Hi. Sorry to hear about your problem. I have had a very good experience with RIVAL. I sent them nothing but compliments years ago. They have improved their swivel from what you have said. It was only capable of one direction in the past. I was asked by RIVAL why I need the swivel to go in more directions then just back and forth. I indicated, "For combos." Looks like they got the picture. I regret not buying the synthetic 5X8 when they made it. Their synthetic 6X9 is one of my favorites. Them days are gone for now. The bags they make now are great on the eyes. However, they are closer to volleyballs then the speed bags most of us would like to use. More power is required. They will take a serious pounding forever it seams. I have had worse. Fly by night brand bags that were like striking basketballs! As well as, brands that don't last, but were fun for the short life. The only local Canadian store is in Montreal. USA is in Las Vegas. If you bought it from a middle man, then they gave you bad customer service. Not RIVAL. A reputable middle man would refund you. I deal with RIVAL direct. You will as well now. I purchase from TITLE as well. They are very good. They sell RIVAL products. You have to be careful with middle men. I ended up with a knock-off Lonsdale once. Sent it back to a shop in Winnipeg where RINGSIDE told me to buy from. I did get a refund. Things wont fix themselves. I don't linger when there is a problem. Why would a shop tell you to contact RIVAL, get parts, spend money, fix it yourself? It makes no sense. Something doesn't add up here. Why email RIVAL when you can call them? Talk to someone about your situation, and get answers. They probably misunderstood your email. You asked if they sell bladders to replace yours. They told you they don't have any. RIVAL didn't tell you to piss off. Stop buying from the local store you went to. They told you to piss off.
                              Last edited by Niki Knuckles; 10-05-2015, 10:59 PM.
                              Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...