• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

speedbag Truck in Chicago

Here are a few pictures from the Speed Bag Truck and Metaldad under and IN the House of Blues in Chicago. It was an experience to remember and great to finally meet MetalDad, a truly amazing guy.
    Attached Files
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • ukspeedbag
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Great pictures Alan! Looks like the three of you had a good time.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Glad you took pics Speedbag! Days like that fly by for me.
      We flew in the night before, woke up at 7 am, did a TV show, went back to the hotel, and soon after, made way to the speed bag truck. Before you know it, we have a meet and greet and VIP thing and then the show, where I had 11 guests. It can get a bit hectic and I really want to spend more time baggin'.
      But we got to and it was fun. Next time I will make sure the truck has proper light and I'll get a boombox that cranks with batteries!
      Metaldad is cool and I'm glad we all to hang.
      And as usual I learned a few new things from Alan. I was dong downward elbow strikes and having my elbows go too far down after contact. Alan told me to kick them off to the side after you strike with the elbow and then when the fist follows, you are set up in position for the next punch. Of course, it works and now I'm sure I'll be able to improve quicker in that dept.!
      I'll get some vid up of the day soon....
      BAG ON!

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

So, have you ordered a drumkit yet, metaldad? I see you sitting there, amazed. What's the wife gonna say, have you really thought this through?
        Last edited by paranday; 10-31-2009, 07:29 AM.

Comment

• Biff
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

MD, your smiles say it all. Looks like all of you guys had a great time.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
            Glad you took pics Speedbag! Days like that fly by for me.
            We flew in the night before, woke up at 7 am, did a TV show, went back to the hotel, and soon after, made way to the speed bag truck. Before you know it, we have a meet and greet and VIP thing and then the show, where I had 11 guests. It can get a bit hectic and I really want to spend more time baggin'.
            But we got to and it was fun. Next time I will make sure the truck has proper light and I'll get a boombox that cranks with batteries!
            Metaldad is cool and I'm glad we all to hang.
            And as usual . I was dong downward elbow strikes and having my elbows go too far down after contact. Alan told me to kick them off to the side after you strike with the elbow and then when the fist follows, you are set up in position for the next punch. Of course, it works and now I'm sure I'll be able to improve quicker in that dept.!
            I'll get some vid up of the day soon....
            BAG ON!
            I learned something to. Spin taught me how to get to the "back beat" (half beat between main beats of music. ) from "the same side" of the bag by using a triplet (elbow strike or 3-punch fist roll), instead of passing through to the other side like I do. I gotta work with that one cause I don't "hear it" like he does but it works great. Spin and Metaldad were throwing out some cool beats to some metal favorites. It is Wizard hearing them work the beat differently than me. I'm loving it! Here's a few of Spin throwing some wizard moves on the bag....
            Attached Files
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Wow, looks like a great time. I'm jealous you got to sit at the drums , I haven't gotten to do that yet. Isn't it exciting being back stage and seeing the show from that angle? I love to watch Brian "at work". His talents are so different from all my other friends (99% computer geeks), I really do watch in awe the whole time.

Glad to see you could meet Alan in person as well. I guarantee you'll remember this day for the rest of your life.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                Wow, looks like a great time. I'm jealous you got to sit at the drums, I haven't gotten to do that yet. Isn't it exciting being back stage and seeing the show from that angle? I love to watch Brian "at work". His talents are so different from all my other friends (99% computer geeks), I really do watch in awe the whole time.

Glad to see you could meet Alan in person as well. I guarantee you'll remember this day for the rest of your life.
                Yeah, Spin got MD to sit on the drums after their sound check and give him the ole' "Butt Buzz". The kick drum is hooked up to the throne (seat) and makes it buzz/vibrate every time you kick the pedal. Kinda like a french Bidet without the water. We also got to see them devue a new song from the Album. This show was the very first time they play it live. We got to see that last rehearsal of it before the show.

Awesome experience seeing Big Time Rock & Roll from behind the scenes. Especially when the drummer only wants to get off stage and get to the truck!
                Last edited by Speedbag; 10-31-2009, 04:54 PM.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• baggaholics
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Oct 2009

@ spin

time runs like sand through our fingers
                  monday we have to go bag to the academy 120km away from home and away from our speed bag. we would love to have a speed bag truck too, but we only have peugeot 106 and the bag doesn't fit in there at all
                  what's left are the weekends for baggin

Comment

• Kyle
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Nov 2006

wow looks like a great time...that speedbag truck amazes me upon every view.

Comment

• metaldad
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2007

Man oh man!! Where do I begin? Words can't describe it...I'm STILL buzzin from the experience. Meetin' Alan Kahn and Spins!! Hangin' in the speedbag truck, learning some new techiques(side double punch) in person from the master! Being backstage checkin out the show, meeting the band.................So cool, so cool so M#$@!!$#@%$%^%@ COOL!!!! This really needs to be said about Brian: AFTER going on zero sleep, getting to and performing on a local news show(who's studio is across town from the venue), souncheck meet and greet, he remained the most personable, down to earth and incredibly cool person! Even with me buggin' him about seats, he still was a great guy! I wish we could have hung out in the truck and after the show some more. I'm just happy and grateful for the whole day. Thanks Spins, Thanks Alan! I asked myself what would my top defining moments in my life and besidess the birth of my children, this is definitely one of them!! Oh and paranday, I haven't ordered the kit yet but I'll tell you this, I was scared to touch Brian's kit, I felt as if i were Oliver from the Brady Bunch and something bad would befall me lol!
                      Last edited by metaldad; 11-01-2009, 06:53 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                        wow looks like a great time...that speedbag truck amazes me upon every view.
                        It is cool. It is so cool to have on the road. I can't believe I went 6 weeks in Europe this summer without it! That was pretty hardcore to not hit once in that long and have to sort of "cold turkey" from it.
                        I was there for 2 hours today right behind the stage as we played with Blue Oyster Cult, Eddie Money, and the Doobie Bros. I heard that our guitar tech, Hippie, was holding court under the bag in front of all the other crew guys from the other bands. He was the only one who knew how to bag...

Originally posted by baggaholics View Post
                        @ spin

time runs like sand through our fingers
                        monday we have to go bag to the academy 120km away from home and away from our speed bag. we would love to have a speed bag truck too, but we only have peugeot 106 and the bag doesn't fit in there at all
                        what's left are the weekends for baggin
                        "And all your money won't another minute buy...
                        Bags in the wind, all we are is bags in the wind!!!!"
                        (Kansas, words by Kerry Livgren)

And with those words I suggest that with the money you have that CAN'T buy you time at the bag you currently punch, it can buy you another board! Between the two of you, it's not so expensive and maybe you can offset the cost by selling something you don't want anymore. Or ask for an early Xmas present! I went 6 weeks without one in Europe, but I kind of had a decent reason.....
                        Think about it; it's a piece of wood secured to wall that you screw a swiv into.... at that point you inflate your bag you travel with so you don't have to spend any more dough, and your BAGGIN' AT THE ACADEMY. I bet there are others there that would gladly pitch it, or charge them by the session to make the money back, since you are the ones who got it all together!
                        BAG ON!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                          I was scared to touch Brian's kit, I felt as if i were Oliver from the Brady Bunch and something bad would befall me lol!
                          Metaldad.....
                          If a drummer, of all people, doesn't let you play his drums, then he isn't a drummer. Drums get hit. Sticks break, heads break, cymbals crack, stands break, everything breaks! I sweat, spit, stand, bleed, pour water on them and jump on them. I just have to learn how to do a handstand on them!
                          Who cares, they are drums!
                          Next time, you will have to pound them up a bit.
                          It didn't happen this time because when we finished soundcheck, a couple guys still had to work on a part of a song so I didn't want to be rude....
                          BAGS UP!

Comment

• baggaholics
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post

"And all your money won't another minute buy...
                            Bags in the wind, all we are is bags in the wind!!!!"
                            (Kansas, words by Kerry Livgren)

And with those words I suggest that with the money you have that CAN'T buy you time at the bag you currently punch, it can buy you another board! Between the two of you, it's not so expensive and maybe you can offset the cost by selling something you don't want anymore. Or ask for an early Xmas present! I went 6 weeks without one in Europe, but I kind of had a decent reason.....
                            Think about it; it's a piece of wood secured to wall that you screw a swiv into.... at that point you inflate your bag you travel with so you don't have to spend any more dough, and your BAGGIN' AT THE ACADEMY. I bet there are others there that would gladly pitch it, or charge them by the session to make the money back, since you are the ones who got it all together!
                            BAG ON!

its a very good idea but unfortunately we cant fix it in our flat because of our neighbours... we have very strict rules in our rental agreement....
                            but maybe we can fix one in the computer cabinet or in the sewing room and sew/type with the left hand and bag with the right?

its great to see that u find the time to meet some other baggers.. to bag together.. must be great fun
                            we're looking forward to the weekend...to be back in a gadda da bagging!!
                            suse & silvi

Comment

• paranday
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by baggaholics View Post
                              ...in a gadda da bagging!!
                              Oh my, try punch drumming to all 17 minutes of that.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...