• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ukspeedbag
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
    Day 8? My friend you are on your way for sure!! They say the first three to five days are the roughest. Keep at it! If the mats don't work out for you, try the stationary bike with a good computer attached and a heart rate monitor.20 -30 mins at a good pace should work. You could even work in sprint drills. Zero shock on the joints and a great cardio workout. Gotta take care of those knees!
    Thanks metaldad! I'm actually thinking of taking up swimming too!

Comment

• metaldad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
      Thanks metaldad! I'm actually thinking of taking up swimming too!
      Swimming. The BEST overall body workout!! Serious cardio, zero shock to the joints.
      sigpic

Comment

• Jobag
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2009

Ever tried a kettlebell? For a, low impact, high power/aerobic workout tool, i've never seen better. Perfect compliment to the speed bag. Proper form extremely important; good source -www.dragondoor.com Being an "old guy" i went with a 26# kettlebell; proved to be just right, with plenty of room for inprovement...

Comment

• spinsmashpop
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post
          I just started jump rope. Been able to cross my arms since I was a kid. I'm a smoker trying to quit, on my 5th day now. When I really need a fag I'll have a go of the rope.

Hopefully I'll loosen up a bit.
          You've gotten past day 3! Awesome! Cigs don't help you get through any problems.

Good luck quitting Uk! It's been three years since I had a cigarette. You can do it bro!
          Yeah Metaldad!

Originally posted by Biff View Post
          Off the smokes since Nov 17, 1978, almost 30 years. If you want to quit Vini, you can do it. The key is wanting to quit.

At my age, I'm just happy to get out of bed in the morning.
          Alright Biff!

I quit 1 1/2 years ago. Can't believe it. It took being sick for 2 days to realize that was my chance at jumping into a non-smoker world.
          I did it to see 100. Did it for my kids. I don't have to have cigs mocking me every hour. "Haha, c'mon and smoke us up! We are the answer! Haha." Cigs solve nothing, they've never solved one problem of mine. But they make you think they do for a few minutes. And then you die!!!!
          I don't have to stop in wasting time on line at 7-11's. I don't smell like smoke. I don't have to hide it from my kids. I save a lot of $ on life ins. and the ever rising cost of a pack. And I don't waste an abundance of energy figuring out when to reward myself with a cig after I get a little work done. It's a joke.
          Great idea UK Speedbag; rather than staring into space as you poison yourself, go jump some rope. Or go slam the bag for 3 minutes of power FCPs! No finesse, just balls out!
          Oh, if only we all could have a platform on the back of our cars like Skunk does!
          BAG ON!

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Jobag View Post
            Ever tried a kettlebell? For a, low impact, high power/aerobic workout tool, i've never seen better. Perfect compliment to the speed bag. Proper form extremely important; good source -www.dragondoor.com Being an "old guy" i went with a 26# kettlebell; proved to be just right, with plenty of room for inprovement...
            I've not done a kettle bell per se, but I have done "Dumbell Swings" as part of crossfit, and it is indeed a killer, especially when supersetted with some other moves. I believe that is a move typically done with KBs.
            Last edited by Tim; 06-30-2009, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• Lefthook_mike
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Nov 2009

Had to reply to this..... I quit smoking 2 yrs ago....congrats to you all for quitting....as for fitness check out my routine....I've always skipped rope it doesn't bother my knees...but lots of roadwork does.... Like said... I do the exercise bike instead of running... I'm not boxing for usaboxing anymore so I don't see the purpose of doing roadwork for cardio when my bike does the job.. I'm just trying to stay inshape...

Comment

• metaldad
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Lefthook_mike View Post
                Had to reply to this..... I quit smoking 2 yrs ago....congrats to you all for quitting....as for fitness check out my routine....I've always skipped rope it doesn't bother my knees...but lots of roadwork does.... Like said... I do the exercise bike instead of running... I'm not boxing for usaboxing anymore so I don't see the purpose of doing roadwork for cardio when my bike does the job.. I'm just trying to stay inshape...
                Hey lefthook! First congrats on qutting smoking. How many packs a day for how long? It's been 4 years since I quit, 3 packs a day! Did I welcome you to the forum? I don't remember !lol. That's a good routine. It's kind of what I was doing. My work schedule is nuts(I work nights.....long nights) so my workouts suffer. I used to jump rope in my garage but now space is encroached upon. I do alot of bodyweight: bodyweight squats, hindu pushups, pullups, dips, vertical knee raises(I have a power tower,shadow boxing with tension bands/weights and without sometimes 2 rds sometimes 3, 3 rounds speed bag, 3 rounds double end bag, basic movements on the wooden dummy and when I get around to putting it back up, 3 rounds heavy bag. Because of my schedule I don't do this everyday, but I do try. Sorry for the long post.
                Last edited by metaldad; 11-12-2009, 07:56 AM. Reason: spelling
                sigpic

Comment

• Lefthook_mike
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Nov 2009

Hey lefthook! First congrats on qutting smoking. How many packs a day for how long? It's been 4 years since I quit, 3 packs a day! Did I welcome you to the forum? I don't remember !lol. That's a good routine. It's kind of what I was doing. My work schedule is nuts(I work nights.....long nights) so my workouts suffer. I used to jump rope in my garage but now space is encroached upon. I do alot of bodyweight: bodyweight squats, hindu pushups, pullups, dips, vertical knee raises(I have a power tower,shadow boxing with tension bands/weights and without sometimes 2 rds sometimes 3, 3 rounds speed bag, 3 rounds double end bag, basic movements on the wooden dummy and when I get around to putting it back up, 3 rounds heavy bag. Because of my schedule I don't do this everyday, but I do try. Sorry for the long post.

Wow that's a lot of smokes....I just did a pack a day! Out of my routine I favor the speed bag which is why I'm getting a platform...got a chance to try a few...and I liked the century adjustable ju
                  st like I thought I would.... Keep baggin' man.

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Lefthook_mike View Post
                    Wow that's a lot of smokes....I just did a pack a day! Out of my routine I favor the speed bag which is why I'm getting a platform...got a chance to try a few...and I liked the century adjustable ju
                    st like I thought I would.... Keep baggin' man.
                    Yeah, I'm lucky I don't have cancer or emphyzema. You tried the Century freestanding platform I take it?
                    Last edited by metaldad; 11-14-2009, 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling
                    sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...