• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • milleniumaire
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2016

Leaking speed bag

Sorry for such a trivial question, but having just purchased my first speedbag/speedball, a Lonsdale Super Pro 6 x 9, I'm finding it is loosing air and continuously needs to be pumped up, even when it isn't being used. For example, it was pumped up last night and overnight the bag went soft enough to need pumping up again this morning.

I'm assuming speedbags are just like footballs and shouldn't loose air this quickly? I guess it could have a faulty valve or a small puncture?

I've contacted the supplier, but they seem to be ignoring my emails, so want to be sure of my facts before I phone them to complain
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by milleniumaire View Post
    Sorry for such a trivial question, but having just purchased my first speedbag/speedball, a Lonsdale Super Pro 6 x 9, I'm finding it is loosing air and continuously needs to be pumped up, even when it isn't being used. For example, it was pumped up last night and overnight the bag went soft enough to need pumping up again this morning.

I'm assuming speedbags are just like footballs and shouldn't loose air this quickly? I guess it could have a faulty valve or a small puncture?

I've contacted the supplier, but they seem to be ignoring my emails, so want to be sure of my facts before I phone them to complain
    That is not suppose to happen, but we have all had bags that do that. I found it was normally a faulty valve and you can test that by blowing it up full and setting the bottom with the valve in water. Any air bubbles will identify that.

There is a fix for that valve ONCE. You can air up the bag full, plug the valve with something covered with superglue or some such. Of course that valve is useless now so when the bag goes down again, (and eventually it will) you will need to change that bladder.

If it is a leaky bladder inside the bag, seam or wherever you have to open the bag to fix it, so you might as well just change the bladder at that time unless the leak is obvious and patchable. Most aren't that I've seen.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• milleniumaire
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Mar 2016

Thanks Speedbag, it's as I suspected then.

I did wonder if they could be patched up, but I shouldn't need to as it is a new bag. I'll test the valve in water tonight, so at least I can tell the supplier where I think the fault is.

Comment

• Bag Man
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by milleniumaire View Post

My two cents: If you like the bag keep it and use it until you no longer can and then replace the bladder. (It takes 5 minutes or so.) I have some bags that hold air, some that don't. Trying to sort through the vagaries of leaking bladders is a bit like "tilting at windmills." It will also very quickly become a full time job. So, unless you're into that type of thing, preserve your mental health and take my advice. After all, why would the Bag man lie?
        "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• speedball708
          • Apr 2015

I had the same problem with a lonsdale. Alot of hype with that brand. Mine was a week old, under inflated and it ripped at the seams and lost air . When I glue a valve I use shoe goo or goop. It works good and if you want to reinflate the bag even after you glued it you could with this type of glue. You just have to pick at it a bit and then it will peal off in one piece without damaging the valve.I do it to my title bags and they never loose air. It's always a surprise when you get a bag inflate it once and then it looses air. Then you inflate a second time glue it and it still looses air. I never have this problem with title.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...