X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

New swivel – Old bagger!

After receiving several encouraging comments on my earlier YouTube postings, I am finally posting a video of Day 60 of my speed bag workout. (I thought it would be kinda cool to record it from 2 different angles.)

Right now, my main focus is building stamina – as well as toning up. I'm glad I bought a new swivel – it's smooth as buttah! – and makes hitting the bag even more enjoyable. I also replaced my old bag (an Everlast 4210) with a new one of similar size. This made a difference as well, since the old one was warped.

I'll be posting more videos as soon as I improve my form and speed.

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • goju
    • Aug 2009

Hoooooah, thats an awesome vid.. never seen a drum like that before either.. thanks for sharing, im sure alan with get his teeth into your vid.. very well done

Comment

• ukspeedbag
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

I'm no expert but, I can say that's pretty impresive for just 2 months of training. Your daily hourly sessions are paying off, I would say.

Tell us about that set-up. It looks like a steel drum???

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hey MsDeville.

Glad to see on you on the forum. Your baggin' skills are solid. Position, movement, timing etc. No problems that I see or hear. A few suggestions.

1. You are doing the Front Double Punch (FDP) very well. Now you can take the same elbow as your lead fist (example: Left leading FDP, use left elbow) and raise it up to lead the FDP, making it an Outward-Triple Elbow Strike (O-TES). The bag will hit the back part (tricep side ) of the Left Elbow, the after one rebound it will hit the lead fist of your FDP, then the second fist. . All with one rebound inbetween - The bag hits: Elbow ' Fist ' Fist. You're already doing the last two parts so you are only adding the elbow. Turn your body from the torso a bit to make room for the elbow and bring the fist under the opposite ear. (left fist under opposite ear will bring left elbow into lead position of left leading O-TES.)

2. Second, you might try moving your hands a bit further out in your Front Fist Rolling. Looks like your fists are rolling fine but way under your forearms. (* see pic below-right side) Try not to let them overlap quite so far. It is not a big deal now, but that deep of an overlap may cause problems later as you start moving to other more complex combinations or linking behind the bag.

Cool video with 2 views by the way.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Speedbag; 10-25-2009, 02:40 PM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• The Baggist
          Vert Baggin' Master
          • May 2009

Crisp, powerful, consistent punching.....Ripping the double punches! Like Alan said you could add elbows with little effort. Something else you might try is getting those same solid basic punches down with reverse punches which can be a pretty intense work out. Great job Dee...lookin forward to more!!!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

MsDeville, great job after 60 days....your form is solid and punching nice and even.... seems like newer punch patterns should come easily ....
            BAG ON!

Comment

• Biff
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Don't worry about posting vids on this forum. You'll receive honest, helpful advice from some of the very best on the planet.

You're coming along really well - meeting your goals and showing steady improvement. Stick with your regimen and it won't be long before you'll be amazing yourself with what you can do.

Glad you decided to post.

Comment

• atgatt
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2007

Loved listening to your rhythm of the bag and seeing the split screen version of it too. Very solid platform.

It is also so nice to see women getting into the speed bagging. You should be proud of such good hitting.

Thanks for posting and I hope there are more to come.

Comment

• metaldad
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2007

What can I say that hasn't already been said..not much Great stuff!! The split screen is most definitely a unique way to post. I'm curious about your drum also. i saw no movement whatsoever! It looks and sounds completely solid.Great F-ROLL at the end of your vid.....F-ROLLING so far is my favorite technique.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
                    Speed Bag Historian
                    • Jun 2006

Yes, inquiring minds want to know!

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

RE: New swivel – Old bagger!

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                      Yes, inquiring minds want to know!
                      Wow. I'm overwhelmed by everyone's positive comments and suggestions. Thanks for the input, fellas, it means a lot to me.

Regarding the set-up... My trainer/S.O. (Significant Other), Raul, learned how to box as a kid in San Diego and has been hitting the speed bag off and on ever since. He would build his own set-up whenever he moved. When he poured the concrete driveway 10 years ago, he poured the metal stand into the concrete and it sits 4-5 feet into the ground. (It's a length of 4"x4" metal box tubing and is about 7-8 feet tall. The drum(?) is a piece of 1/4" or 1/2" steel plate cut in a circle and is welded to the post. It's reinforced with 3 lengths of rebar welded from the post down to the drum and keeps it from vibrating. I think the spongy black 'piping' around the drum to cover the rough edge is just pipe insulation that he glued in place.

This set-up is all I knew until we stopped in at the local YMCA 2 weeks ago and beat on their bag. I must say, it made me appreciate what I have at home!

Alan, thanks for the pointers on positioning and punches. My Trainer–(aka Raul)–reminds me constantly about keeping my elbows up.

I have viewed dozens of everyone's videos that have been posted and I try to apply the things I see into my workout. I even learned something from watching 7-year-old Charlotte!

BTW, my new swivel is wizard! (I think I'm using that word appropriately. )
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag
                        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                        Wow. I'm overwhelmed by everyone's positive comments and suggestions. Thanks for the input, fellas, it means a lot to me.

Regarding the set-up... My trainer/S.O. (Significant Other), Raul, learned how to box as a kid in San Diego and has been hitting the speed bag off and on ever since. He would build his own set-up whenever he moved. When he poured the concrete driveway 10 years ago, he poured the metal stand into the concrete and it sits 4-5 feet into the ground. (It's a length of 4"x4" metal box tubing and is about 7-8 feet tall. The drum(?) is a piece of 1/4" or 1/2" steel plate cut in a circle and is welded to the post. It's reinforced with 3 lengths of rebar welded from the post down to the drum and keeps it from vibrating. I think the spongy black 'piping' around the drum to cover the rough edge is just pipe insulation that he glued in place.

This set-up is all I knew until we stopped in at the local YMCA 2 weeks ago and beat on their bag. I must say, it made me appreciate what I have at home!

Alan, thanks for the pointers on positioning and punches. My Trainer–(aka Raul)–reminds me constantly about keeping my elbows up.

I have viewed dozens of everyone's videos that have been posted and I try to apply the things I see into my workout. I even learned something from watching 7-year-old Charlotte!

Indeed you are. And Raul is a master craftsman to build that setup. A speed bag builder Par Excellence!
                        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
                          Speed Bag Historian
                          • Jun 2006

Okay, looks like a trip to Handy Metalmart is in order here..............

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Bag set-up

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                            Indeed you are. And Raul is a master craftsman to build that setup. A speed bag builder Par Excellence!
                            Yes. He did a good job on that setup. He's a builder by trade. Oh, yeah. I made a mistake on the size of the metal post. It's 6"x6" metal box tubing.

Comment

• metaldad
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post

You are so welcome! Everyone is here to encourage each other to get better. That is some serious setup! I don't think even a hurricane could move it lol. I bet nothing can compare to it! And yes ,even though I've never used one personally, that swivel is wizard...In the words of Spinssmashpop: "Bag On!!"
                              sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...