Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AtTheCross
    • Dec 2012

There are many things he does as well as others that amaze me but the thing that instantly catches my eye is G-Town's upwards front fist roll. I tried it tonite and I hit the air valve of the bag every time
    1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

XMarkfitness platform
    Active Bags: - N.O.S. Ringside 4x7 - N.O.S. Ringside Tear Drop 5x8 - Balazs Lazer 6x9
    DevilleSwivel No.13 - Horizontal
    Powermill Evil Swivel - Vertical (to be installed)
    Retired Bags:
    Pro Mex 5x8 - Everlast 4214 7x10

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by AtTheCross View Post
      There are many things he does as well as others that amaze me but the thing that instantly catches my eye is G-Town's upwards front fist roll. I tried it tonite and I hit the air valve of the bag every time
      Front Fist Rolling (F-Roll) in an Upward direction is really just reversing the direction of a "normal' from fist roll. oddly enough, you do this very naturally as a Reverse Fist Roll (R-Roll)

The key is understanding that in a "normal fist roll" (front or reverse) you will roll the fists until they are stacked one over the other for a moment, and you will naturally hit the bag with the fist that is ON TOP of that position. Do this slowly from the front of back of the bag, and you will notice how each "normal" fist roll hits the bag with the fist coming over the top of the other. Reversing the direction of the fist roll - but NOT the side of the bag your hands are on, will now have you contacting the bag with the fist that is "under the other" in that stacked position. This is very awkward at first, for it "feels unnatural" to the normal movement AND it demands a bit more fist control due to the angle of the punch direction. Normally when you do a F-Roll you hit the bag with the top fist and it drops down a bit out of the way of the rebounding bag. When you reverse the rolling direction, you will hit with the fist going "under the other" in an upward direction, and the upward moving fist actually moves up into the rebounding bag, so after you make that upward contact you have to pull it back out of the way. You will also have the tendency to hit below the bag belly underneath the bag, angling the bag upward, jamming into the swivel.

Just for fun, start doing a normal Reverse Fist Roll (R-Roll), keep the fists rolling in the same direction and bring them to the front of the bag, while you keep them rolling. not easy.

Sadly, I did not discuss this advance Fist Rolling variation in the Speed Bag Bible, because I had never seen that done and never considered it myself. Idiot! ......just like phantom punching. I learned those variations from members on this board.

and I thank you for that!
      Last edited by Speedbag; 01-14-2013, 09:40 AM.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• PunchDrummer
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        Front Fist Rolling (F-Roll) in an Upward direction .....Sadly, I did not discuss this advance Fist Rolling variation in the Speed Bag Bible, because I had never seen that done and never considered it myself. Idiot! ......just like phantom punching. I learned those variations from members on this board....
        Edison had no notion of colored light-emitting diodes, but where would Times Square be without him?

Be proud man!
        (And stop calling AtC an "Idiot".)

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by PunchDrummer View Post
          Edison had no notion of colored light-emitting diodes, but where would Times Square be without him?

Be proud man!
          (And stop calling AtC an "Idiot".)
          actually that idiot! reference was to myself, and no reference to ATC.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• florian 380
            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by speedbag View Post
            as often happens for highly skilled activities, a video does not do the activity or the person doing it justice. To truly appreciate g-town's bag ability, particularly his magical fist rolling and rapid, flashy fist direction changes, you really have be there, almost under the board with him. He is still the only person i have ever seen or heard on a bag be able to maintain a constant speed fist roll while accenting certain punches to lay down a beat groove of accents, but the speed of the roll does not change. The difficulty of that is only understood when you realize that to accent any punch you have to hit it a bit harder to make it louder, but that also adds speed to the bag. He has learned the amazing skill to "dead head" the next punch to bleed that extra speed off the bag and keep the fist roll speed constant. It still amazes me how he does that, ...and does it all while flim flaming his hands all around in a pattern all his own, with that million dollar smile on his face.
            When i attempt it (and i do ) my fist roll will predictably change speeds, faster-slower... As i try to isolate individual punches for an accent beat groove. The roll speed changes will be obvious, yet he can do it at will, banging out a cool beat and the fist roll speed stays the same.

And that is a bag master!

You just really have to see it live to understand how amazing that is. The same is true for many on this forum. Until you see and hear them live, you cannot truly appreciate the speed and power of their punching.

And that is why you should attend a gathering at least once....

Probably i get dizzy if i see you guys in realTO FAST !!!!!!!!!
            I HOPE EVERYTHING WORKS OUT FINE FOR ME AND MY GIRLFRIEND AND I CAN MOVE TO USA !!!! I HOPE THEN I CAN VISIT ALL OF YOU GUYS AT A SPEED BAG EVENT OR SOMETHING.....

Comment

• AtTheCross
              • Dec 2012

@PunchDrummer - LOL

@Speedbag - I knew that
              1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

XMarkfitness platform
              Active Bags: - N.O.S. Ringside 4x7 - N.O.S. Ringside Tear Drop 5x8 - Balazs Lazer 6x9
              DevilleSwivel No.13 - Horizontal
              Powermill Evil Swivel - Vertical (to be installed)
              Retired Bags:
              Pro Mex 5x8 - Everlast 4214 7x10

Comment

• G-Town
                Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Break it Down down down....

Alan - To I call the 'KING' nice break down... I have to thank the "one and only" Don't need a title on the reverse front fist roll. Give SKUNK a standing ovation for me - Musle up! Just having fun... Deano I did need a hair cut mate, I thought I could bring back the afro Jackson 5 style ;

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...