X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

I will say that punch drumming to music is a bit of an artform. I know a lot of great baggers that just don't "feel the bag beat" and how to manipulate it to music. They can hit fast and furious, but either they can't feel the bag beat to music or they can't control it.
    I agree that it is an artform. And, you either have the "feel" or you don't.

When I was drumming (High School), I saw several drummers that were very impressive rudimental drummers, and could play any written drum sheet music like clockwork - but they could not improvise, or ad lib on their own.
    Similiar to the difference between an "athlete" and someone who is "athletic." An athlete can play just about any sport and excel in it, while someone who is athletic can play many sports but not necessarily excel in them.

Biff, I would say "can you dance?". If you have good rhythm and are a pretty decent dancer than you can probably learn to punch drum. Feeling the beat and having a sense of rhythm is the key, and it will translate to the bag. Bag technique is secondary, for you can punch drum to music with just the Basic Rhythm, which is only two techniques. If you feel rhythm it's just learning to control it.

I'm betting you're a twisting, twirling demon on the dance floor.
    Let's just say I'm a few steps better than Elaine Benes.

Comment

• metaldad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2007

That was THE BOMB!! But I expected no less after seeing you punch with one hand while playing snare with the other!
      sigpic

Comment

• Whippet
        • Nov 2008

Holy "crotales", man - I knew you could do it! Amazing! Are you thinking about the rest of the song as well? When I see what you have done with the intro, you'll soon have the rest of the tune "in the bag."
        Staying tuned for Alex's oriental scale oriented solo/B - Phrygian Dominant and of course Geddy's amazing mad bass AND foot pedal midi/Korg/Roland and of course Neil. The fact that Lee is even managing a synthesizer melody at all is quite a feat, but writing/performing it successfully in Lorican mode is something to behold. Something that classical composers often failed miserably at.
        Having a background in piano, I'll find something classical and give her a go; also, there is potential with modern stuff such as Billy Joel, but Manilow just isn't going to happen ("..at the Copa, Copa-cabana..." or "Oh Mandy ...")
        I find it really cool that, when I have a really busy schedule (don't we all these days) and i cannot come to the Forum for a week or even two, that the changes that I notice in people's abilities and projects are remarkable. Keeps me interested for sure. Thanks!

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Biff View Post
          ...Let's just say I'm a few steps better than Elaine Benes.

In that case, Punch Drumming might not be in your future.

But don't give up.... there is always hope.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Whippet
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

In that case, Punch Drumming might not be in your future.

Then a lizard I'll be

Comment

• Murph
              • Jan 2009

Lol!!!

Comment

• Biff
                Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                  That was THE BOMB!! But I expected no less after seeing you punch with one hand while playing snare with the other!
                  Metaldad.... thanks! There will be more! BAG ON!

Originally posted by Whippet View Post
                  Holy "crotales", man - I knew you could do it! Amazing! Are you thinking about the rest of the song as well? When I see what you have done with the intro, you'll soon have the rest of the tune "in the bag."
                  Staying tuned for Alex's oriental scale oriented solo/B - Phrygian Dominant and of course Geddy's amazing mad bass AND foot pedal midi/Korg/Roland and of course Neil. The fact that Lee is even managing a synthesizer melody at all is quite a feat, but writing/performing it successfully in Lorican mode is something to behold. Something that classical composers often failed miserably at.
                  Having a background in piano, I'll find something classical and give her a go; also, there is potential with modern stuff such as Billy Joel, but Manilow just isn't going to happen ("..at the Copa, Copa-cabana..." or "Oh Mandy ...")
                  I find it really cool that, when I have a really busy schedule (don't we all these days) and i cannot come to the Forum for a week or even two, that the changes that I notice in people's abilities and projects are remarkable. Keeps me interested for sure. Thanks!
                  Whippet! Thank you! Very impressive descriptions of Rush, YYZ and music!
                  KEEP ON BAGGIN'!

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Hey Spinsmashpop, you ever heard Chimaira? In particular the song "The Dehumanizing Process",or even "Eyes of a Criminal". I like the drumming on both songs especially the last part of "Eyes of a Criminal", the drummer, Andols Herrick, does this cool sounding roll on the double kick that I can picture myself bagging to but haven'rt gotten up to speed yet. Check it out if you get a chance. Chimaira's a seriously amazing metal band to begin with but they you can never go wrong with Rush lol!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Kyle
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Nov 2006

Hey Spinsmashpop, you ever heard Chimaira? In particular the song "The Dehumanizing Process",or even "Eyes of a Criminal". I like the drumming on both songs especially the last part of "Eyes of a Criminal", the drummer, Andols Herrick, does this cool sounding roll on the double kick that I can picture myself bagging to but haven'rt gotten up to speed yet. Check it out if you get a chance. Chimaira's a seriously amazing metal band to begin with but they you can never go wrong with Rush lol!
                      ya ive always wanted to hear how reptilia by the strokes would sound like punch drumming.
                      ________
                      VAPERIZERS
                      Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:48 AM.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Metaldad... I've heard Chimaira, but I don't own any cd's. They sound pretty cool but I am real picky with my metal! I love Sabbath, Maiden, Preist, old Metallica, all Pantera, and my new favorite for years now, Mehuggah. I think they rule over all the new metal now. But there are great players out there and you can always hear something you dig from a new band you are not so familiar with.....
                        BAG ON!

Comment

• metaldad
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                          Metaldad... I've heard Chimaira, but I don't own any cd's. They sound pretty cool but I am real picky with my metal! I love Sabbath, Maiden, Preist, old Metallica, all Pantera, and my new favorite for years now, Mehuggah. I think they rule over all the new metal now. But there are great players out there and you can always hear something you dig from a new band you are not so familiar with.....
                          BAG ON!
                          Meshuggah does rule!! They are so innovative with their style and technicality! "Destroy, Erase, Improve" is my favorite album from them. I like "Chaossphere" alot too. Their sound and style just keeps evolving with each realease. "Nothing" and"Catch 33" for example! Never heard of eight string guitars until those albums!"ObZen" is just off the chain!!I truly do love the old school stuff.Hell Rush,Maiden,Sabbath, Van Halen, Hendrix, Zeppelin and Pink Floyd got me through high school! Metallica changed my life, Slayer and Megadeth locked me in. Pantera and Exodus....the list just goes on and on.....Dimebag and Chuck Schuldiner RIP! I love it al! Old, new it don't matter!! If it has a killer beat,groove or, especiallly a killer guitar riff, I'm hooked!!It 'd be cool to see you or Alan or anyone baggin' to Meshuggah!!
                          sigpic

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Meshuggah does rule!! They are so innovative with their style and technicality! "Destroy, Erase, Improve" is my favorite album from them. I like "Chaossphere" alot too. Their sound and style just keeps evolving with each realease. "Nothing" and"Catch 33" for example! Never heard of eight string guitars until those albums!"ObZen" is just off the chain!!I truly do love the old school stuff.Hell Rush,Maiden,Sabbath, Van Halen, Hendrix, Zeppelin and Pink Floyd got me through high school! Metallica changed my life, Slayer and Megadeth locked me in. Pantera and Exodus....the list just goes on and on.....Dimebag and Chuck Schuldiner RIP! I love it al! Old, new it don't matter!! If it has a killer beat,groove or, especiallly a killer guitar riff, I'm hooked!!It 'd be cool to see you or Alan or anyone baggin' to Meshuggah!!
                            My favorite Meshuggah changes from time to time.....I love them all....
                            Obzen is awesome, but I heard Chaosphere first and that literally changed reality for me. I then got way into Nothing. I also really dig French extreme metalers Gojira. They have tons of power and groove bit also have nice bits of melody.
                            Yes, Dimebag is my favorite metal guitarist. But I also love Van Halen, Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, Angus, Gibbons, May, Yngwie, and tons of others....
                            There are so many great players out there!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                              Yep, you did. I had read the original post a couple days ago and forgot that part. Having that down in 5 takes... Unbaggingbelievable!
                              Haha.... all the bag lingo is awesome! I'm going on vacation to Bagdad! Haha!
                              And yes, Tim, I checked the original video. I got YY Speed on the fifth take.
                              I got to find some time to get some new clips up.
                              And someone tell Skunk to freak out to some Cannibal Corpse. It would be legendary!
                              BAG ON!

Comment

• hunter45840
                                Speed Bag Trainee
                                • Feb 2009

Man that is so cool!!!!!!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...