• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag
    you could attach a piece of flat iron (cross-bar) across the tops of the wood. Drill holes in the flat Iron and have several of the bolts holding the wood also hold the iron in place.
    That's a pretty good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I might look into rigging up something like this soon...

Comment

• k1stone
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Apr 2006

hey tim, i have the same stand, but how do you keep your speed bag thing from bending down??? is that what the boards are for? if so i gotta do that as well. awsome forums btw.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by k1stone
        hey tim, i have the same stand, but how do you keep your speed bag thing from bending down??? is that what the boards are for? if so i gotta do that as well. awsome forums btw.
        You can barely see in the picture above, but I have doorway shims jammed into where the speedbag platform bolts to the vertical pole. Plus some duct tape to make sure they stay in place. I simply put a level on the platform and hammered the shims in (bottom first, then from the top) and it stays level. The wood on the top really just gives better rebounds (or so I think. I'm not sure how much good it really did. If I was shorter, I'd replace the two piece drum with a solid inch or 1.5 drum, but I'm tall enough that the bag would then hang too low.)

I'll post a better picture tomorrow.
        Last edited by Tim; 04-24-2006, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Shims:

Looks cheesy, but it works. Nevertheless, I'll be going with a wall mount unit soon...

Comment

• k1stone
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Apr 2006

hey thankx...good thinking im going to try that setup as well.

Comment

• Nick
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jun 2006

swivels

Originally posted by Tim
              (nothing worse than a mid-workout swivel explosion)
              What, these swivels wear out? I thought that they pretty much lasted forever. I have one of those all metal ball and s hook swivels, but to tell the truth while ago I was thinking that I might use the housing and machine out a ball from teflon and duplicate the hook and try that to help cut down on the noise it. Of course if I would hit the bag better there wouldn't be much "noise".

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Nick
                What, these swivels wear out? I thought that they pretty much lasted forever. I have one of those all metal ball and s hook swivels, but to tell the truth while ago I was thinking that I might use the housing and machine out a ball from teflon and duplicate the hook and try that to help cut down on the noise it. Of course if I would hit the bag better there wouldn't be much "noise".
                Sometimes the hook comes out of the ball... had that happen quite a bit lately. It can be put back in but I've always had a hard time getting it to stay after it initially comes out, it's not threaded, but there is a small set screw to keep it in place... You can actually see it happen at the tail end of this clip here: http://www.speedbagforum.com/movies/Tim20060611.wmv

Comment

• HRC51ED
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Sep 2006

this is my set up consisting of the top contender adjustable speed bag platform. as you can see it is weighted down with 60 pounds of olympic weights, tied down with a rubber cable. those weights aren't going anywhere. in the other photos you can see the heavy bag stand by century. the century also came with a speed bag platform, which i got rid of, a long time ago, nordic trac treadmill, and a weight bench. on the opposite side of the garage is a double endbag platform. and my pride and joy, the glove case and pics autographed by manny pacquiao, luisito espinosa, and brian viloria.
                  any advice, critiscm(good/bad), opinions, or comments are welcomed.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• INDYFIGHTER
                    • Sep 2006

I just got the top contender adjustable speed bag platform as well and I like it. Your bag is a little bigger than the one I bought. Your's is more like the size I want. I thought about putting some weight on top of the platform but didn't really see a reason to. It doesn't shake that much. Can you notice a difference with and without the weight on top the platform?

Comment

• HRC51ED
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by INDYFIGHTER View Post
                      I just got the top contender adjustable speed bag platform as well and I like it. Your bag is a little bigger than the one I bought. Your's is more like the size I want. I thought about putting some weight on top of the platform but didn't really see a reason to. It doesn't shake that much. Can you notice a difference with and without the weight on top the platform?
                      I GUESS YOUR TOLERANCES TO VIBRATION IS HIGHER THAN MINE. WITHOUT THE WEIGHTS IT SHAKES AND VIBRATES ALOT...EVEN WITH THE WITH THE WEIGHTS IT STILL MOOVES A LITTLE, BUT NOT AS BAD. OR YOU INSTALLED YOURS BETTER THAN MINE?

Comment

• HRC51ED
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Sep 2006

Did You Do Anything Special Setting It Up?

Comment

• HRC51ED
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by HRC51ED View Post
                          Did You Do Anything Special Setting It Up?
                          TOP CONTENDER PLATFORM

Comment

• INDYFIGHTER
                            • Sep 2006

Well I have 24" studs in my garage so I had to mount the unit to two 2x6's to get the length I needed to hit two studs. I'll try to get a picture up soon but my camara batt is dead and I can't find the charger. Other than needing the 24" spacing on the mounting holes no. I did throw a wool blanket up there but it didn't make much difference. One of the studs I'm mounted to is actually a 4x4 beam in the wall and instead of drywall my garage walls are 3/4" plywood so that may make a difference is stability. Also have a wavemaster heavybag, a round timer and adj. decline bench.

Comment

• HRC51ED
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by INDYFIGHTER View Post
                              Well I have 24" studs in my garage so I had to mount the unit to two 2x6's to get the length I needed to hit two studs. I'll try to get a picture up soon but my camara batt is dead and I can't find the charger. Other than needing the 24" spacing on the mounting holes no. I did throw a wool blanket up there but it didn't make much difference. One of the studs I'm mounted to is actually a 4x4 beam in the wall and instead of drywall my garage walls are 3/4" plywood so that may make a difference is stability. Also have a wavemaster heavybag, a round timer and adj. decline bench.
                              my studs are 16 inches apart, and drilled directly to them, so the frame is very secure. i think most of the vibration is coming from the fact this an adjustable platform, so there is that little gap in both metal posts for the bars to slide up or down. had this been a non-adjustable platform, i think it would'nt have that problem...but i'm not the only user. what do you think?

Comment

• INDYFIGHTER
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by HRC51ED View Post
                                my studs are 16 inches apart, and drilled directly to them, so the frame is very secure. i think most of the vibration is coming from the fact this an adjustable platform, so there is that little gap in both metal posts for the bars to slide up or down. had this been a non-adjustable platform, i think it would'nt have that problem...but i'm not the only user. what do you think?
                                Probably so. I bought a bigger bag and plastic ball swivel last night and I noticed more vibration with the bigger bag.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...