• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Title Fight
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2009

Double end bag Shapes

I am thinking of adding a double end bag to my home gym, never used one before. I am just wondering if i should get the spherical shape double end bags or the speedbag shaped ones. Which one do you prefer? and is there much of a difference between hitting one or the other?

Sphere shape

Speedbag shape

Thanks!
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Title Fight View Post
    I am thinking of adding a double end bag to my home gym, never used one before. I am just wondering if i should get the spherical shape double end bags or the speedbag shaped ones. Which one do you prefer? and is there much of a difference between hitting one or the other?

Sphere shape

Speedbag shape

Thanks!
    ive only used the sphere and i like it so i can recommend it
    ________
    Glass bubblers
    Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• Title Fight
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by MelloYello
      Three things to consider, style, size, and design.

Let's talk about style first. There are three styles to choose from (not including the double-double ends bags or double double end bags which I find move either too slow or too awkwardly to be effective), I'll call them ball (or sphere), single teardrop (speedbag style), and double teardrop (starts skinny at the top, becomes fat in the middle, ends skinny at the bottom, sort of a "dual teardrop")

My personal favorite is the double teardrop, it moves fast like the single teardrop but its' symmetry allows for better hitting and a less arc'ed (read more straight) movement. However these bags are hard to find and none of the US-based distributors carry them. The attached pic is one from a company I never heard of.

The ball is what I use because the rebound is straight, and nicely allows for uppercuts.

I don't like the single teardrop style because it's not symmetrical, it tends to move in an arc'ed fashion (bigger at the bottom) and doesn't hit well due to the lack of symmetry.

Now let's talk about size. The smallest would be 5" and they go up to about 9" (excluding the jumbo balls which I don't find useful). I like using 6" or 7" bags with a preference for 6". 5" and 6" are ok if you're using small or no gloves, 6" or 7" are ok to use 10 or 12 oz gloves.

As far as design, one thing to point out is that the straps can be either short (see Tuf Wear pic) or long (see Everlast pic). This doesn't matter much if using gloves, however if using bare hands and you have a short strap, if you miss, it can be uncomfortable to hit the S-Hook or whatever is used to secure the cable to the loop. In that case just wrap a sponge or other padding around the area.

I find that the Tuf Wear and Everlast are better crafted than the Ringside and Title. Personally I use a Tuf-Wear 7" ball and forget having to replace the bladder, I barely have to pump it up more than once/year! However with that said, if I were to make a recommendation I'd go with the Everlast since the longer straps allow you to hit either bare hand or gloved "out of the box"

All the above is just my humble opinion, others may disagree and are free to weigh in
      Wow, thats some great info right there, much appreciated!

I'll go with the Everlast 7'' Bag

Thanks again!

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Let's talk about style first.....
        Agreed, great post. Next time I do a big title order I'm going to pick up a DE bag. I've got a cheapie, probably a nine inch, but want something smaller.

Comment

• atgatt
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2007

+1 for the TUF-WEAR 7" double end bag. I just love hitting that bag compared to the Title 7". It just feels right and holds air so much better. Great leather and bladder.

I also have the Everlast 9" that has metal to clip on to both upper and lower parts of the bag. What I like about it is that the extra weight really makes it come back at you and you feel the harder hits.

Both are well made but if I had to do it all over again, everything would be TUF-WEAR. They are one "TUF" bag.

Comment

• Title Fight
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jun 2009

I changed my mind at the last minute and ended up getting the Tuff Wear 9'' bag. I am very impressed with the quality of the bag and it feels great to hit it.

I attached the nylon strap on top and the bungee cord on the bottom and left it pretty loose so that it moves a lot.

It's pretty challenging to get my rhythm going on it, so far i can only throw a few punches at a time but i bet i'll get better with it in time.

I really like this forum, thanks again for all the help.

Comment

• atgatt
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2007

Title Fight, you may want to try something I did to my double end bag setup. I made a rectangular wood frame about 6 inches wide and 3 feet long that sits about 6 inches above the bag, this way the bag comes back at me all the time when I hit in front of the 6 inch wide part of the frame. Or if I hit from the side enough, it causes the bag to rapidly go side to side making me focus on hitting it straight on the next punch as if a head was bobbing side to side.

Sure, I could hit the back straight without the frame, but it is not realistic hitting. I want to hit straight but also hit the bag doing a side hook as it comes at me, or I may hit the bag straight by hitting the side of the bag. Punches hitting the side of the face also jerk the head to the side and pull back the skin. Not all affective punches have to be right in the center of the face so why practice that way?

I put bungee cords upper and lower and barely have them taut. Gives a better straight line plus gives better when doing upper cuts or punching downwards.

Comment

• metaldad
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                Title Fight, you may want to try something I did to my double end bag setup. I made a rectangular wood frame about 6 inches wide and 3 feet long that sits about 6 inches above the bag, this way the bag comes back at me all the time when I hit in front of the 6 inch wide part of the frame. Or if I hit from the side enough, it causes the bag to rapidly go side to side making me focus on hitting it straight on the next punch as if a head was bobbing side to side.

Sure, I could hit the back straight without the frame, but it is not realistic hitting. I want to hit straight but also hit the bag doing a side hook as it comes at me, or I may hit the bag straight by hitting the side of the bag. Punches hitting the side of the face also jerk the head to the side and pull back the skin. Not all affective punches have to be right in the center of the face so why practice that way?

I put bungee cords upper and lower and barely have them taut. Gives a better straight line plus gives better when doing upper cuts or punching downwards.
                Hey atgatt, any chance of you posting a picture of the setup with the wood frame? I'm curious as to how it actually looks and works. I also use bungees on top and bottom.Not sure if I have the right height though. I think mine is a 9" and I have it set about face high.

Let's talk about style first. There are three styles to choose from (not including the double-double ends bags or double double end bags which I find move either too slow or too awkwardly to be effective), I'll call them ball (or sphere), single teardrop (speedbag style), and double teardrop (starts skinny at the top, becomes fat in the middle, ends skinny at the bottom, sort of a "dual teardrop")

My personal favorite is the double teardrop, it moves fast like the single teardrop but its' symmetry allows for better hitting and a less arc'ed (read more straight) movement. However these bags are hard to find and none of the US-based distributors carry them. The attached pic is one from a company I never heard of.

The ball is what I use because the rebound is straight, and nicely allows for uppercuts.

I don't like the single teardrop style because it's not symmetrical, it tends to move in an arc'ed fashion (bigger at the bottom) and doesn't hit well due to the lack of symmetry.

Now let's talk about size. The smallest would be 5" and they go up to about 9" (excluding the jumbo balls which I don't find useful). I like using 6" or 7" bags with a preference for 6". 5" and 6" are ok if you're using small or no gloves, 6" or 7" are ok to use 10 or 12 oz gloves.

As far as design, one thing to point out is that the straps can be either short (see Tuf Wear pic) or long (see Everlast pic). This doesn't matter much if using gloves, however if using bare hands and you have a short strap, if you miss, it can be uncomfortable to hit the S-Hook or whatever is used to secure the cable to the loop. In that case just wrap a sponge or other padding around the area.

I find that the Tuf Wear and Everlast are better crafted than the Ringside and Title. Personally I use a Tuf-Wear 7" ball and forget having to replace the bladder, I barely have to pump it up more than once/year! However with that said, if I were to make a recommendation I'd go with the Everlast since the longer straps allow you to hit either bare hand or gloved "out of the box"

All the above is just my humble opinion, others may disagree and are free to weigh in
                MelloYellow any chance of you posting a training vid on the DE bag?
                sigpic

Comment

• Title Fight
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jun 2009

Hey atgatt, any chance of you posting a picture of the setup with the wood frame? I'm curious as to how it actually looks and works.
                  I second that, I would love to see how it looks if possible atgatt.

Comment

• atgatt
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Excuse the bad pics.

The reason for the Velcro around the upper cord is to prevent the cord from fraying as it rubs against the frame, this way the cord last a long time.

Comment

• atgatt
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Nov 2007

Sorry, but for some reason it won't attach the pics and I don't have the time now to figure out why.

Comment

• Kyle
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                        Hey atgatt, any chance of you posting a picture of the setup with the wood frame?
                        my DE frame is also made out of wood on the bottom if your interested?
                        ________
                        Elenys live
                        Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• crawforde
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Jul 2009

cheap double teardrop bag

I do not quite get the DE frame thing, but I am curious. Pics would be nice if possible, I am having trouble picturing how it works.
                          After reading Mellow's great review I thought that the double teardrop bag that he liked had the same shape as an American football. I picked up a kid sized football at a garage sale for $0.25 and stretched some panty hose over it. I used two legs, then wrapped the ball in duct tape, I went about 2 inches off the ends onto the twisted hose (leave access for the valve). I tied the ends of the panty hose to bungee cords. It is much faster than my 9" ball and swings nicely. I like it so much I have it hung at head level and have flipped the 9" ball over and use it at body punch height. I have not had it that long but it seems to be holding up fine so far, and you can't beat the price.

Comment

• crawforde
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Jul 2009

second metaldad's request

I am sure whatever you put together will be great.

Comment

• metaldad
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
                              Sorry, but for some reason it won't attach the pics and I don't have the time now to figure out why.
                              No worries....if you can you can, if not, thank you anyway.

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                              my DE frame is also made out of wood on the bottom if your interested?
                              Sure that would be cool

Metaldad, let me see if I can put something together. What are you mainly interested in getting out of it?
                              My main interest is proper technique. I don't have a trainer so I'm picking whatever I can from watching others, and like Crawforde wrote, I'm sure anything that you could put up will be fine. Thanks MelloYello
                              sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...