X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

SB 2010 - Alan giving pointers to Eighty-Eight

Here is a clip I filmed of Alan giving instruction to Jack (Eighty-eight) at the SB2010 event last weekend. I will defer to Alan and/or Jack on the explanation of what is going on in the video.

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

As I said on YT, great footage, Dee. It just shows how dedicated AK is when it comes to the fine art of punch drumming. He certainly goes the extra mile! Next time I hope to take advantage of his expertise.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
      Here is a clip I filmed of Alan giving instruction to Jack (Eighty-eight) at the SB2010 event last weekend. I will defer to Alan and/or Jack on the explanation of what is going on in the video.

I'm out of town and have limited time to explain, but basically we were working on punch drumming with syncopated rhythms. Eight Eight (Jack) had asked me to show him the two six punch combinations I call the 5-1 and 3-3. At the point of this video we had progressed past those two and were working on another I call "the single fist pass through to Double Punch". From the front the combo we were walking on here was the Front Circle Punch (FSP), to Reverse Single Punch (RSP) to Front Double Punch. (FDP). written it would be

(FCP) ' ' (RSP) ' ' FDP ' ' ' repeat, other lead.

In this video I was showing him how to use the RSP in this combo as the change punch to go to the 3-3. Basically, if you do three punches from the front and three from Reverse (3-3), this (RSP) contacts the bag in the exact same part of the measure as the single fist pass, it lands ON The beat and is the change point to go from one to the other. Basically that RSP is the same for several combo's that use a RSP, and you can switch between combinations at the contact.

It gets technical trying to explain it verbally but "on the bag" you can hear it pretty easily.

(* remember, Jack, you can also change to the 5-1 on that RSP. It would be the first of "5" RSP before the pass to a FCP for the sixth punch )
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post

I'm out of town and have limited time to explain, but basically we were working on punch drumming with syncopated rhythms. Eight Eight (Jack) had asked me to show him the two six punch combinations I call the 5-1 and 3-3. At the point of this video we had progressed past those two and were working on another I call "the single fist pass through to Double Punch". From the front the combo we were walking on here was the Front Circle Punch (FSP), to Reverse Single Punch (RSP) to Front Double Punch. (FDP). written it would be

(FCP) ' ' (RSP) ' ' FDP ' ' ' repeat, other lead.

In this video I was showing him how to use the (RSP) in this combo as the change punch to go to the 3-3. Basically, if you do three punches from the front and three from Reverse (3-3), this (RSP) contacts the bag in the exact same part of the measure as the single fist pass, it lands ON The beat and is the change point to go from one to the other. Basically that RSP is the same for several combo's that use a RSP, and you can switch between combinations at the contact.

It gets technical trying to explain it verbally but "on the bag" you can hear it pretty easily.

(* remember, Jack, you can also change to the 5-1 on that RSP. It would be the first of "5" RSP before the pass to a FCP for the sixth punch )
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Eighty-Eight

• Feb 2008

Dee: Thanks again for posting this clip. I really value my instruction from Alan. Now I have a record of what he was teaching me. As I say at the tail end of that video, “I hope I remember this when I get home.” Well, thanks to you and your video, I won’t forget.

Biff: Yeah, you have to do a lesson with Alan. His approach to teaching these techniques involved demonstration, explanation, analysis and critique. It was amazing. I felt doors opening, light bulbs going on, and I’m like, “Oh, I get it now.” Definitely a major jump-start for me in terms of my learning to punch drum syncopated rhythms.

Alan: Your teaching is inspirational. I’ve been working those moves. If I understand you correctly, the RSP is pivotal punch in these combos. I wasn’t thinking that way; now I am. This past Sunday, I read the entire Hitting to Music thread on the forum to get some background. While I was there, I copied down the names of some tunes you recommended for future download. Besides the Candy Dulfer tunes, I absolutely love Tower of Power tune We Came Here to Play. Love that feel. Man, would I love to be able to do some punch drumming to that, YouTube police notwithstanding. But that’s another issue. And you’re right: Now when I hear rhythms in my head, I try to visualize the corresponding bag hits. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can’t. I’m still early in this game.

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Hey Jack, by the end of that clip you were beginning to tear it up! Great work, fantastic progress! Keep at it brother.
            T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• The Baggist
              Vert Baggin' Master
              • May 2009

Thanks for the great footage Dee! I've watched this one a few times and the vid where Deano was breaking down the Aussie Style I've watched about ten times already!!!!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by The Baggist View Post
                Thanks for the great footage Dee! I've watched this one a few times and the vid where Deano was breaking down the Aussie Style I've watched about ten times already!!!!
                Now THAT you have to see live to truly believe. How he does what he does is simply amazing. An extremely talented bag master to be sure!
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Eighty-Eight View Post
                  Dee: Thanks again for posting this clip. I really value my instruction from Alan. Now I have a record of what he was teaching me. As I say at the tail end of that video, “I hope I remember this when I get home.” Well, thanks to you and your video, I won’t forget.

Biff: Yeah, you have to do a lesson with Alan. His approach to teaching these techniques involved demonstration, explanation, analysis and critique. It was amazing. I felt doors opening, light bulbs going on, and I’m like, “Oh, I get it now.” Definitely a major jump-start for me in terms of my learning to punch drum syncopated rhythms.

Alan: Your teaching is inspirational. I’ve been working those moves. If I understand you correctly, the RSP is pivotal punch in these combos. I wasn’t thinking that way; now I am. This past Sunday, I read the entire Hitting to Music thread on the forum to get some background. While I was there, I copied down the names of some tunes you recommended for future download. Besides the Candy Dulfer tunes, I absolutely love Tower of Power tune We Came Here to Play. Love that feel. Man, would I love to be able to do some punch drumming to that, YouTube police notwithstanding. But that’s another issue. And you’re right: Now when I hear rhythms in my head, I try to visualize the corresponding bag hits. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can’t. I’m still early in this game.
                  Hey 88, you CAN DO THIS!! You have the beat inside, you just need a little more more bag beat control.

Remember when we changed sides of the bag with the 5-1? You can change sides of the bag on any of the the "5" single punches, just double punch on the side you're going to - the lead fist is the pick up beat and the second fist will land right when it is supposed to. Keep the same 5-1 count when you do it. Practice it without music to get the technique. Remember we did it a few times before this video that is posted. It is also on the media DVD.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...