X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

MsD's DEVILLE A-51 Swivel Update

Well, it's been exactly 3 months since introducing the Deville ball-hook swivel here on the forum. I am happy to say that it is becoming known throughout the world, which is very exciting and encouraging. I have sent swivels throughout the United States as well as the UK, Sweden, Honduras... and today I received an order for 2 swivels to be shipped to Poland!!

I'd like to thank all who have ordered the Deville swivel and I appreciate all the positive feedback we have received. I hope it is getting lots of use.

One issue with the swivel that we have been trying to eliminate is the bag will flying off the S-hook (usually caused by a mis-hit). We are working towards eliminating this on the Deville. I think I have found something that will take care of this problem and will update my progress on this shortly.

For anyone who is interested in purchasing a swivel, please contact me here on the forum through the Private Messaging (MsDeville). Or, you can email me at:

DevilleSwivels@gmail.com

I promise to reply asap with pricing and shipping information. Thanks again, everyone! And BAG ON!!!!
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post

Well, it's been exactly 3 months since introducing the Deville ball-hook swivel here on the forum. I am happy to say that it is becoming known throughout the world, which is very exciting and encouraging. I have sent swivels throughout the United States as well as the UK, Sweden, Honduras... and today I received an order for 2 swivels to be shipped to Poland!!

I'd like to thank all who have ordered the Deville swivel and I appreciate all the positive feedback we have received. I hope it is getting lots of use.

One issue with the swivel that we have been trying to eliminate is the bag will flying off the S-hook (usually caused by a mis-hit). We are working towards eliminating this on the Deville. I think I have found something that will take care of this problem and will update my progress on this shortly.

For anyone who is interested in purchasing a swivel, please contact me here on the forum through the Private Messaging (MsDeville). Or, you can email me at:

DevilleSwivels@gmail.com

I promise to reply asap with pricing and shipping information. Thanks again, everyone! And BAG ON!!!!
    ...Just a thought on bags flying off the hook due to a "mis-hit".

the new "advanced" directional changes of punching techniques from the normal direction (downward circling of fists) to the more difficult upward circling direction. This can find the contact point often moving lower on the bag (slightly below the belly) driving the bag (and swivel) in an upward direction, causing more of a tendency for the swivel to kink and bag come off.

I have spent a bit of time studying this lately, (and trying to learn it), and notice a few interesting points, some of which I'm not sure can be changed by swivel or hook design.

When we "normally" punch the bag the fist(s) move into the bag with a slightly downward direction. When circling the fists, no matter how small or large the movement, the fist contacts the bag and moves downward and under to return to the home position. the important part of this is: If you hit slightly "off center", either a bit above, or belly the belly of the bag, the normally downward arc of the punch (and the mis hit) still direct the bag, and swivel, downward away from the board, avoiding the dread "clang" of driving the swivel upward.

If you make contact in the "sweet spot" of the rebound, but your fist hits either a bit above or bellow the bag belly, it will not drive the bag and swivel upward, for the fist movement directs the bag downward with the fist motion. Driving the swivel upward creating that "clank" of the ball or hook cramming onto itself from a normal clockwise swing mostly occurs when you hit the bag a bit late in the rebound - so the bag is already angled in the wrong direction, and your contact is really more on the bottom area of the bag.

I find this not the case when we "reverse the fist direction" in the front of the bag, punching upwards. We see this in the now "advanced" methods of Front Double Punching (FDP) and Front Fist Rolling (F-Roll) in the opposite direction. Normally, the "next fist" in these techniques (actually, in all multi-part techniques) comes from slightly above the last part, moving a bit downward. when we reverse the punching motion , the "next fist" now comes from underneath the last fist, moving upward. For me, it seems to make for a much smaller "sweet spot" of contact, for slight mis hits above or below the bag belly really drive the bag and swivel upward, increasing the chance of cramming the swivel/ball up into the board, or launching the bag off the swivel.

The second issue is, You have much less room for your hands to get out of the way when swinging upward. Normally, the fist drops down a bit below (and out of the way of) the bag, but when punching upward, toward the board, your fists trying to get out of the way is now still in the arc of the rebound, AND has very little room to move due to the board being overhead, forcing a much tighter movement and less room for error. And with the new "Flush mount swivel", that room has been reduced further.

Having hit the bag "normally " almost 40 years now, this "reverse motion" for Front Double Punching, Front Fist Rolling and the Upward Double Elbow Strike - are driving me crazy. My mind and fists continually rejects it, and I'm clanging the ballhook unmercifully.

Personally I blame this on (1) Skunk (2) G-Man Louis and (3) MsDeville (awesome upward Front Double Punches).
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by ventanakaz
      ...i don't know if you remember that pic i sent you of the S hook i cut open and made bigger. i put a dab of weld on the inside and filed it to the shape i want, it acts like a speed bump and the bags never fly off...ralph
      Yes, thanks for the idea, Ralph. But, last week, I found a small plastic cap that fits perfectly over our S-hook and it does really well to keep the bag on the hook. I got it at an automotive parts store, but it came in a package with other sizes (that I have no use for). I need to find a package that carries just the one size... I'm still hunting for it...
      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• dogtoke
        • Jun 2008

Unreal product dee!! Thanks again

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

Yes, thanks for the idea, Ralph. But, last week, I found a small plastic cap that fits perfectly over our S-hook and it does really well to keep the bag on the hook. I got it at an automotive parts store, but it came in a package with other sizes (that I have no use for). I need to find a package that carries just the one size... I'm still hunting for it...
          You might try looking on the McMaster Carr site. They're an industrial supplier, you might be able to set up an account with them if they have the part you need.

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            You might try looking on the McMaster Carr site. They're an industrial supplier, you might be able to set up an account with them if they have the part you need.
            I second the McMaster-Carr company. I use them all the time...they have everything!

Here's a link to end caps: http://www.mcmaster.com/#plastic-end-caps/=hilgp5

Living in NY (they are in NJ), I order online in the afternoon and it's at my door the next day.
            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• ebozyn
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2010

MacGyver

I have taken the low tech approach to keeping my bags on the S-Hooks. HeHe

This is the D-21 i've taped in the photos, but the same applies to any S-Hook Swivel.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by ebozyn; 05-14-2012, 12:05 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
                I have taken the low tech approach to keeping my bags on the S-Hooks. HeHe

This is the D-21 i've taped in the photos, but the same applies to any S-Hook Swivel.
                Make the silver duct tape and it blends nicely. Been doing that for years.

...but especially now with the reverse direction movements.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                  Thanks for the name of this website, Dutchman. I've also found a website called 123autoparts.com. It carries what they call Vacuum Caps (in various sizes).

Originally posted by dogtoke View Post
                  Unreal product dee!! Thanks again
                  Thanks, dogtoke. I got your Private Message a few weeks ago regarding the swivel. It made my day! Thank you so much for the great feedback. Your letter would make a great testimonial. It's great to hear that in your opinion, there is no comparison between it and the Watkins!

Comment

• dogtoke
                    • Jun 2008

Thanks for the name of this website, Dutchman. I've also found a website called 123autoparts.com. It carries what they call Vacuum Caps (in various sizes).

Thanks, dogtoke. I got your Private Message a few weeks ago regarding the swivel. It made my day! Thank you so much for the great feedback. Your letter would make a great testimonial. It's great to hear that in your opinion, there is no comparison between it and the Watkins!
                    Originally Posted by dogtoke
                    Hi Dee,
                    If you recall I ordered a couple of your swivels a few months back. The bag attachment portion of the hooks were too tight so I gave you a call and Raul called me back almost right away and I received my new hooks within I think two days. Well long story short before I received my new hooks I put my old Watkins ball hook back on...BIG MISTAKE!!! Well I just went out and finally got around to changing to the DeVille and I'm here to say that there is no comparison. The DeVille is,in my experience, by far the best ball hook on the market. I apologize for for this feedback being so long in coming. Thank you for an amazing product..Also please thank Raul for his call and quick delivery of my new hooks...On with the addiction...Tom

Comment

• ebozyn
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Oct 2010

Duct Tape, is our Friend.

I feel like i should have a roll of duct tape on my hip in a holster.

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                      Make the silver duct tape and it blends nicely. Been doing that for years.

...but especially now with the reverse direction movements.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Zaza
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2011

If you can't fix it with Duct Tape and a hammer.... it's an electrical problem!

Words to live by.
                        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
                          Duct Tape, is our Friend.

I feel like i should have a roll of duct tape on my hip in a holster.

Don't tease my like that ebo. Duct tape and cowboys.

You know how that excites me....

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Randolph
                            • May 2012

I have not yet bought a Deville Swivel, but by looking at the picture I can see two feature adjustments that would correct the problem described:

1. The "S" stock appears too small in diameter, which allows for too loose of a fit for the bag loop to "grip". It appears to have been designed for ease of bag change rather than maximum efficiency under use. Enlarge the round stock used to make the "S" hook.

2. Where the bottom "S" turns upward, it is cut too short making too large of a gap, which again, makes it easy to change bags and easy for the bag to come completely off with a miss hit. Close this gap a bit more.

Because of the numerous designs of bags, you may want to start designing and providing an assorment of hooks that will custom fit the designs of brand name bags.

You have taken the plunge to become number one in the swivel industry, now go to it and make it HAPPEN. It's just like hitting the bag, slowly and surely, you can do it!
                            In fact, WE ARE COUNTING ON YOU !
                            Randolph
                            Randolph Leslie Smith
                            Washington State Licensed Real Estate Broker
                            Learned Speed Bag fundamentals in 1973

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

I finally found an automotive parts website that has what I'm looking for. I have them on order. In the meantime, this is what I found at NAPA Auto Parts:

[IMG]

It works GREAT at keeping the bag on the hook and is easy to take on and off.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...