X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Looking for San Francisco Boxing or MMA Gyms

Hey speed baggers. I know of a few speed bag enthusiasts on this forum who happen to live in/near San Francisco. "Speedbag4life" (Lisa), and "ventanakaz "(Ralph). And, last I heard, Dee Pooler is in the SF or Oakland area… ?

I am planning a trip down to Santa Rosa in March to visit a friend, and we're planning a Day Trip to San Francisco. Our (tentative) plan is to be in the city on Wednesday, April 3rd, 2013.

So, this is my thought:
    To try to locate a Boxing or MMA gym in the city that has a speed bag platform. Are there any gym owners/managers in SF who would be interested in allowing a few bagger addicts to drop in and slap the leather for a few hours? Heck, we could even offer an impromptu speed bag class to your members. BTW, I have connections with a speed bag swivel maker who might be interested in offering a few swivels to the gym…

I've contacted speedbag4life and she's checking her schedule to see if she can meet up on that date. What about you, Ralph? And PunchDrummer? Are you within driving distance of San Francisco?

If there is anyone on the forum who knows of a gym that would welcome a few speed bag enthusiasts, would you mind contacting me? You can reach me via email: msdeville@mac.com, devilleswivels@gmail.com, or you can PM me here on the forum. Thanks.

This is what popped up on the map when I did a search for gyms in the area:

BAG ON, BAGAHOLICS!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MsDeville; 01-31-2013, 12:04 PM. Reason: Date change
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Dee Pooler used to work out at Pacific Ring Sports

493 40th Street
    Oakland, CA 94609

not there anymore apparently but they may like a bunch of baggers to come in for some demo's and workout.

you might also hit him up on Facebook Looks like he is in Fresno now.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 01-10-2013, 08:54 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

I checked out the Pacific Ring's website and location, Alan. Looks likes it's relatively easy to find. By the photo on their site, it looks like they have at least 2 speed bag platforms on the back wall of the gym. And, there's even a Portofino pizzeria right down the street on the corner! Thanks, Alan!

Wow! It would be cool to be able to say that I punched at Dee Pooler's old gym.
      ...so where's the geek icon…

Attached Files
      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Ralph, thank you for your most generous offer! You're a sweetheart! Hopefully, we won't have to resort to invading your home and Man Cave (garage). If I get enough gumption, I might hit up Dee Pooler's old gym and see if there is a possibility of us having a mini speed bag gathering.

I'd like to put out feelers on my Facebook walls–Deville Swivels and Speed Bag Addicts–to see if any potential baggers might want to show up at whatever Bay Area gym I can find to do this. And if I can get a gym onboard with the idea, they could also mention the event on their own site.

I don't necessarily want this to turn into a big deal where there is a lot of planning and cost involved (like day-session fee) but, I'll just have to see what I can swing with a local gym. There might be details like signing a waiver or something in order to do a one-day session at a gym, with a minor fee for the gym owner. I just don't know, since I have never done anything like this.

My hope is that baggers in the Bay Area will be interested and come to just have a fun day of hanging and bagging. Sort of impromptu. At the same time, I don't want to spend all my time planning and coordinating this as I don't think I'd be very good at it.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. You can post them here, or you can email me at one of my email addresses: msdeville@mac.com; or devilleswivels@gmail.com. Or PM me here on the forum.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
          Ralph, thank you for your most generous offer! You're a sweetheart! Hopefully, we won't have to resort to invading your home and Man Cave (garage). If I get enough gumption, I might hit up Dee Pooler's old gym and see if there is a possibility of us having a mini speed bag gathering.

I'd like to put out feelers on my Facebook walls–Deville Swivels and Speed Bag Addicts–to see if any potential baggers might want to show up at whatever Bay Area gym I can find to do this. And if I can get a gym onboard with the idea, they could also mention the event on their own site.

I don't necessarily want this to turn into a big deal where there is a lot of planning and cost involved (like day-session fee) but, I'll just have to see what I can swing with a local gym. There might be details like signing a waiver or something in order to do a one-day session at a gym, with a minor fee for the gym owner. I just don't know, since I have never done anything like this.

My hope is that baggers in the Bay Area will be interested and come to just have a fun day of hanging and bagging. Sort of impromptu. At the same time, I don't want to spend all my time planning and coordinating this as I don't think I'd be very good at it.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. You can post them here, or you can email me at one of my email addresses: msdeville@mac.com; or devilleswivels@gmail.com. Or PM me here on the forum.
          Perhaps the bay area and Jerry Neuman KQED might like an interview with one of the premier female speed baggers in the country, as well as promote the event. Hmmm, a location like pacific ring might be more incline to say "yes" if they new their was some media buzz about it. Maybe Jerry could come down also. I supported some of that stations past fund raising events with products for prizes. I have not heard from him in a while, but it might be time to return the favor.

KQED Main Headquarters
          2601 Mariposa Street
          San Francisco, CA 94110
          tel: (415) 864-2000

You just never know....
          Last edited by Speedbag; 01-11-2013, 02:01 PM.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• speedbag4life
            • Jun 2007

Hey Ms D and all!

If Dee Pooler's old gym in Oakland would host a small group, that might be advisable-- I've been to a few of the SF gyms that have speedbags, and none were worth a trip. There might be an exception on Post St... I don't remember for certain. In addition, as in any city, parking is at a premium here in SF. Tell you what, if I'm going to be a gym rat for a day (which I'd want to do, if other speedbaggers were around!), I'd want to do it somewhere with a nearby parking lot, and one that's either cheap or relatively free. Am I too picky, or do other people agree? If it matters, I don't think there's any place in SF that fits that (parking) description!

And ventana, that is so generous of you!! Thanks, neighbor! Your generosity and thoughtfulness are uncommon and noteworthy!! But listen... we don't want you to leave your door unlocked and post that on the internet, so if your bag ends up being the gathering spot, I'll make sure someone is standing by so you don't have to leave your fortress unprotected. K?

Lastly... just looked at my calendar, can't believe the timing, I've been planning to be out of town that weekend. -- it's the closing weekend of my spring break. Haven't bought my tickets yet though, was planning to do so very soon, so I guess (for more reasons than my own) that if this is going to happen, we should hop on it so anyone interested can plan accordingly.

Regarding Jerry Neumann. Alan, thanks for suggesting him. I went to meet him a year or two ago after you and Tim told me about him. He sure is a nice fellow. Lives in the East Bay, and has had a speedbag installed in his community gym. Ms. D, if you'd like to delegate the job of contacting Jerry, I'd be happy to do it. Let me know.
            Last edited by speedbag4life; 01-12-2013, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by speedbag4life View Post
              Hey Ms D and all!

If Dee Pooler's old gym in Oakland would host a small group, that might be advisable-- I've been to a few of the SF gyms that have speedbags, and none were worth a trip. There might be an exception on Post St... I don't remember for certain. In addition, as in any city, parking is at a premium here in SF. Tell you what, if I'm going to be a gym rat for a day (which I'd want to do, if other speedbaggers were around!), I'd want to do it somewhere with a nearby parking lot, and one that's either cheap or relatively free. Am I too picky, or do other people agree? If it matters, I don't think there's any place in SF that fits that (parking) description!

And ventana, that is so generous of you!! Thanks, neighbor! Your generosity and thoughtfulness are uncommon and noteworthy!! But listen... we don't want you to leave your door unlocked and post that on the internet, so if your bag ends up being the gathering spot, I'll make sure someone is standing by so you don't have to leave your fortress unprotected. K?

Lastly... just looked at my calendar, can't believe the timing, I've been planning to be out of town that weekend. -- it's the closing weekend of my spring break. Haven't bought my tickets yet though, was planning to do so very soon, so I guess (for more reasons than my own) that if this is going to happen, we should hop on it so anyone interested can plan accordingly.

Regarding Jerry Neumann. Alan, thanks for suggesting him. I went to meet him a year or two ago after you and Tim told me about him. He sure is a nice fellow. Lives in the East Bay, and has had a speedbag installed in his community gym. Ms. D, if you'd like to delegate the job of contacting Jerry, I'd be happy to do it. Let me know.
              Maybe his community Gym might be a good location?
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...