• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • akatsuki
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2017

Getting started and height adjustability of platform

Hi everyone,

Excited to get started on the program here (just threw down for the bible and dvd set! Thanks Alan).

Starting gear check

I was thinking about buying the Balazs I-box 30", a Forza swivel and Cleto 6x9 bag.

Good to go with that?

Platform height adjustability

The one thing I would like is more height adjustability so my young kids could try it out (eldest is 7, so pretty short). One thing I looked at was maybe finding one I could mount on my power rack (Rogue RML-3 which has 3x3 uprights). They make one, but looks like it is permabolted down and I suspect one that could be moved would rattle and just not be solid enough.

Any suggestions on a platform that has a lot of up/down capability and that isn't as expensive as the ProFighter 400 or FirstRate but is high quality?

Thanks!
  • jaja6009
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by akatsuki View Post
    Hi everyone,

Excited to get started on the program here (just threw down for the bible and dvd set! Thanks Alan).

Starting gear check

I was thinking about buying the Balazs I-box 30", a Forza swivel and Cleto 6x9 bag.

Good to go with that?

The one thing I would like is more height adjustability so my young kids could try it out (eldest is 7, so pretty short). One thing I looked at was maybe finding one I could mount on my power rack (Rogue RML-3 which has 3x3 uprights). They make one, but looks like it is permabolted down and I suspect one that could be moved would rattle and just not be solid enough.

Any suggestions on a platform that has a lot of up/down capability and that isn't as expensive as the ProFighter 400 or FirstRate but is high quality?

Thanks!
    The platform with a huge amount of range is the Balaz 24" Adjustable. But it is pricey at around $900 with the 30" drum. The First Rate doesn't have near that much adjustment. I don't know if you'll have luck adding one to the Rogue RML 3 Cage, I am sure someone else with some experience will chime in on that one.

Your other choices are cool. The Forza it seems is the only new high quality ball swivel around any more, and the Cleto bags while maybe lacking in the shape I like, are still extremely high quality bags, and quite fast too.

Comment

• rdshackleford
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2016

I am satisfied with my XMark. Like all platforms, it can be modified.

-Rusty
      @ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• BagBoy
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by akatsuki View Post
        Hi everyone,

Starting gear check

Good to go with that?

Thanks!
        Because I have made my own platforms I can't help you there except to say that it was a lot of fun building them but they are not adjustable. What I can say is that I really like my Cleto 6-9, it was my first bag and as already mentioned above the Forza is a fine choice.
        Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• REB
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
          Because I have made my own platforms I can't help you there except to say that it was a lot of fun building them but they are not adjustable. What I can say is that I really like my Cleto 6-9, it was my first bag and as already mentioned above the Forza is a fine choice.
          Think about building your son a platform to stand on. A 3 x 3 foot platform (step up box) made from 3/4 inch plywood could work. You can figure the height of the platform that would be optimal for your son to hit the bag.

Comment

• JoMan
            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by REB View Post
            Think about building your son a platform to stand on. A 3 x 3 foot platform (step up box) made from 3/4 inch plywood could work. You can figure the height of the platform that would be optimal for your son to hit the bag.
            This...many boxing gyms use plastic pallets & attach cheap pressboard/sheathing on top for a flat standing surface.

Comment

• REB
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Jan 2017

Originally posted by JoMan View Post
              This...many boxing gyms use plastic pallets & attach cheap pressboard/sheathing on top for a flat standing surface.
              That is a good one.... I would have greater joy to build a platform for my son though. (if I had a son). Make the top look like a boxing ring .. Little boys like stuff like that. I was charged up when my Dad made stuff for me

Comment

• BagBoy
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jan 2018

Originally posted by REB View Post
                ..I do not have a son, the creator of this thread does But you make a good point. When my five year old niece is over she likes to stand on a level surfaced chair and hit the bags. I find the chair works great as she, like the other guys son will grow. According to my niece I'm a big fartface so I'm not about to build her, her own platform.
                Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• REB
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jan 2017

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
                  ..I do not have a son, the creator of this thread does But you make a good point. When my five year old niece is over she likes to stand on a level surfaced chair and hit the bags. I find the chair works great as she, like the other guys son will grow. According to my niece I'm a big fartface so I'm not about to build her, her own platform.
                  Thanks and my apology to you and akatsuki.... Sheeeshus a long day

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...