X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Reno-Bagging with Alan, Dee & Matthew

Well, I'm still trying to come down from my long weekend in Reno, Nevada on the weekend of March 13th…

Pictured l to r:
    Matthew, Alan, Robert Brand (owner of FIT Reno), MsDee, Joel Giandalia (our host and recent speed bag convert), and Dee Pooler!

Joel Giandalia, a new speed bag addict and member of the forum, pulled some strings and arranged for the four of us — Alan Kahn, Dee Pooler, Matthew Santiago, and myself — to put on a few speed bag demonstrations around Reno. He even managed to have the local TV station air Alan and Matthew on live morning TV!

On Thursday afternoon, we all headed over to the Boys & Girls Club of Reno and gave demonstrations on the speed bag for the kids. They also participated, which was a blast. They were all so enthusiastic.

On Friday and Saturday, we held demonstrations at a local fitness club called FIT Reno. Thank you, Robert Bland, owner of FIT Reno for allowing us to use your fitness club to show others our love of the bag. And thanks for your help in assembling the free-standing "cage" for mounting the Balazs platforms.

A HUGE Thank You to Joel Giandalia also for making all this happen.

Here's the KOLO 8 TV news link:

RENO, NV - Most people think of boxing when they see a speed bag, but there are people all over the country who have turned the workout routine into an art form. Some do it to music, while others have found ways to incorporate their knees and elbows into it.

Alan Kahn is one of the pioneers of what's known as "bible style" speed bagging. Kahn wrote "The Speed Bag Bible", which acts as a comprehensive training guide for speed bagging. The book uncovers all the secrets of how the speed bag works. Topics include: equipment, movements, bag rhythms, the difference between techniques and combinations, and individually identifies 24 punching & elbow striking techniques from the front, side and back of the bag.

Kahn says speed bagging is a great way to develop hand-eye coordination, or it can act as an adaptive fitness routine.

One of the most prolific speed baggers in the country is Matt Santiago. Both Santiago and Kahn are featured in a documentary called "Art of the Bag", which delves into the growing subculture. Santiago was also selected to be in a commercial for Gillette to show off his skills.

The pair are in Reno this week to demonstrate their craft and introduce it to the surrounding communities. They will be at FIT Reno on Longley Lane Friday from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.

Many of the members and readers here on the forum know that I have a Facebook account called Speed Bag Addicts. If you have a Facebook account, I would like to encourage you to check out the video I posted of Alan on the bag at FIT Reno. Please feel free to "Share" the video on your own FB page, or on your friends' page.

Right now, the Facebook video clip has reached nearly 2 million people(!) and has been Shared almost 11,000 times–so far!

I have a feeling that the Speed Bag is about to become the Breakout Sport of the year!

Speed Bag Addicts. 1.894 Me gusta. This is for anyone who is addicted to speed bagging.
    Attached Files
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

That must have been a fantastic time! You, Alan, Matt, and Dee Pooler showcasing your talents for Reno, NV, and for the rest of the world it seems.

Great job, and thanks for spreading the speed bag legend.

Comment

• rehamco1
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Biff View Post
      That must have been a fantastic time! You, Alan, Matt, and Dee Pooler showcasing your talents for Reno, NV, and for the rest of the world it seems.

Great job, and thanks for spreading the speed bag legend.
      Thank you all for making the effort and taking the time to promote the speed bag art forum and who better to do it. bag on

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
        Well, I'm still trying to come down from my long weekend in Reno, Nevada on the weekend of March 13th…

Pictured l to r:
        Matthew, Alan, Robert Brand (owner of FIT Reno), MsDee, Joel Giandalia (our host and recent speed bag convert), and Dee Pooler!

Joel Giandalia, a new speed bag addict and member of the forum, pulled some strings and arranged for the four of us — Alan Kahn, Dee Pooler, Matthew Santiago, and myself — to put on a few speed bag demonstrations around Reno. He even managed to have the local TV station air Alan and Matthew on live morning TV!

On Thursday afternoon, we all headed over to the Boys & Girls Club of Reno and gave demonstrations on the speed bag for the kids. They also participated, which was a blast. They were all so enthusiastic.

On Friday and Saturday, we held demonstrations at a local fitness club called FIT Reno. Thank you, Robert Bland, owner of FIT Reno for allowing us to use your fitness club to show others our love of the bag. And thanks for your help in assembling the free-standing "cage" for mounting the Balazs platforms.

RENO, NV - Most people think of boxing when they see a speed bag, but there are people all over the country who have turned the workout routine into an art form. Some do it to music, while others have found ways to incorporate their knees and elbows into it.

Alan Kahn is one of the pioneers of what's known as "bible style" speed bagging. Kahn wrote "The Speed Bag Bible", which acts as a comprehensive training guide for speed bagging. The book uncovers all the secrets of how the speed bag works. Topics include: equipment, movements, bag rhythms, the difference between techniques and combinations, and individually identifies 24 punching & elbow striking techniques from the front, side and back of the bag.

Kahn says speed bagging is a great way to develop hand-eye coordination, or it can act as an adaptive fitness routine.

One of the most prolific speed baggers in the country is Matt Santiago. Both Santiago and Kahn are featured in a documentary called "Art of the Bag", which delves into the growing subculture. Santiago was also selected to be in a commercial for Gillette to show off his skills.

The pair are in Reno this week to demonstrate their craft and introduce it to the surrounding communities. They will be at FIT Reno on Longley Lane Friday from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. The event is free and open to the public.

Many of the members and readers here on the forum know that I have a Facebook account called Speed Bag Addicts. If you have a Facebook account, I would like to encourage you to check out the video I posted of Alan on the bag at FIT Reno. Please feel free to "Share" the video on your own FB page, or on your friends' page.

Right now, the Facebook video clip has reached nearly 2 million people(!) and has been Shared almost 11,000 times–so far!

I have a feeling that the Speed Bag is about to become the Breakout Sport of the year!

https://www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
        The little guy with red hair is "Tristan". Funny little kid with a million questions. One of them even about the speed bag

It was a great time. We seriously need to do this again. Thanks Dee and Dee and Matthew for attending! And gotta give it up for Joel and Robert Bland. His whole staff was great and the kids were awesome.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post

Pictured l to r:

https://www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
          Here is a quick, shortened version of the demonstration at the Boys and Girls Club.

Highlights from March 12 2015, A speed bag demonstration and teaching seminar at the Boy & Girls Club, 9th street facility, Reno Nevada. Besides me, We had s...
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Great job everyone!

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

Oh man... That's great! Look at all those potential speed bagger's ... We need to bring more kids into the gathering & show them the light. Good job folks!
              Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Here is a video posted by Robert Bland, owner of FIT Reno.

Thank you Robert! We could not have done this without YOU!
                (ps: he owns the gym and helped build the power rack speed bag cage we used.)

the girl filming Matt with the "one" on her hat is the Major of Reno, Hillary Shieve. She also came to the private viewing of "The art of the bag" later that night.

The camera with feather on top at 2:37 looks to be on the "zaza slider" (hmmm ). They were from from a local TV show that airs in Reno occasionally called "the plush life" https://www.youtube.com/user/PlushLifeTV and they will/might be showing a speed bag segment at some point in the future. I filmed a little bit on speed and rehabilitation and also about the ART of the bag. Let's see what makes it to the final edit. I have a feeling it will be very well done, (...at least on their end! )

Again, many thanks to Robert Bland for his help and this video.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Sep 2009

Wow, great punching.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                    Wow, great punching.
                    Truth is, Matt and I did not rehearse that. We just improvised it as a "tap out, tap in" thing. It's a punch drummer thing. I missed a few punches (must have been the bag going a bit flat... ) but matt was RIPPIN!!!

wait till you see his take on "mortal combat" just after this video.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris76
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Oct 2015

Are there any videos of you guys performing some syncronized punch drumming?

That would be cool to see.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Chris76 View Post
                        Are there any videos of you guys performing some syncronized punch drumming?

That would be cool to see.

We did a few punch drumming demonstrations, not necessarily synchronized but rather improvising changing punchers during the song. Here is one...

Punching starts at about 2min.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris76
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Oct 2015

You guys make it look so easy

Comment

• stefoz
                            • Apr 2015

awesome and entertaining show gents.bravo

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...