• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris Nagel
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2009

Need help building a boxing apparatus for practicing slipping

The Slipping Stick

I was reading about a fascinating tool to help fighters practice the slipping movement in boxing. To better simulate a straight punch than a maize/slip-bag, the plan uses an adjustable stick to represent an arm that would be extended from either a wall or a pole.

The stick would be about the length of an average arm (1 yd). Similar to an adjustable speed bag platform, it's height needs to adjustable. This is not so much to accommodate the height of the person using it, but rather to simulate the various heights of an opponent.

It's angle also needs to be adjustable along a vertical plane. Slightly pitched down would represent a taller opponent jabbing downward, whereas a rising 45 degree angle from about 3 feet would represent a rising jab (a jab thrown from hip height).

Right now I'm still trying figure out what parts that I would need to build this, while trying to keep it simple.

If you can offer any advice I'd appreciate it. I'll post what I've come up with in the near future.

If anyone is interested in this concept, I'd like you to look at the following post of where I read about it:

"Slip bags (you know, like Tyson?) I see people using or talking about every now and then. Its definitely an interesting concept. Basically is small bladder that is hung at about forehead level which swings from side to side. Who likes these things? I think they are the most useless bag in the entire punching bag family. If you stick around here long enough you will hear Grey saying A. how the bag is pretty ineffective at teaching proper slipping and B. because when you slip a punch you must slip the length of the punch with your body not just with your neck. Its kind of his 1-2 punch.

Anyway I think he is right. I also would like to add that the bag is nothing like a punch. There are no punches in boxing that come remotely close to being simulated by the movements of this bag. I used to have a training tool which I used to practice slipping. It was a stick. Literally, just a stick. Let me explain. The stick is used to represent either a jab or a right hand. To this extent it did very well. I would place it on a wall so that it was pointing at my face at around eye level. The stick was roughly the length of an opponent's arm. I would practice several counters on it using the stick to simulate an opponent's jab and imagining the rest of his body with my mind. This way I could practice slipping his jab, the full length of his jab, and following through with the actual counter punches after the slip using his arm (the stick) as a indicator to know how the rest of his body looks.

I could place the stick so that it was higher and pointing down towards my face to simulate a taller opponent jabbing down at me. I could place the stick lower to simulate a shorter opponent jabbing up at me. I could place the stick at around hip level and have it pointing up at my face to simulate a rising jab.

I think its a great tool to train on because it gives you the feeling of always having a jab in your face. Literally you become very comfortable with an opponent throwing his jab at your face because through practicing slipping on the stick jabs have practically become an extension of your face. Or at least thats how it feels. That sounds kind of like it hurts but its actually a good thing and will make you more comfortable when opponents throw jabs and right at you."
  • BlackCatXIII
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Apr 2009

Construct it out of lumber. Get a post either 4x4 or 6x6 (larger diameter is you want to counter punch too); the height of it will depend on if you can just bury/cement it in the ground or if you have to cement it in a bucket to keep it portable (4-5ft in ground/with,without cement your preference on cement use). Use 2x3 diameter timber for the arm length’s because the 2” represents wrist thickness and the 3” fist width; you can wrap pieces of old clothes/towels around certain spots on the arm to increase forearm and biceps/triceps sizes securing with duct tape. And if you have old ratty dirty boxing gloves duct tape those as fists/ or make a ball of tape/clothing/towel material on the end as a fist. Creativity as to how you want it to look like is up to you. Get some tie angles and screw the 3 ft 2x3 to the post; the post is four sides so you can have 4 different angles to slip under. For various punches to slip under cut the 3ft pieces in half and connect with angle or screw it in (90 degree = uppercut or hook depends on angle you place it/ 1.5ft-bicep/tricep, 1.5ft forearm/fist). 5 gallon bucket with cement will make the post portable, it’s just you get to lug around 50-100 pounds of cement with it too; but it is movable. Use cheap lumber and get a sealer to help keep the lumber longer. Or splurge and get really really good lumber, and a sealer to keep it looking pretty. I don’t have any pic’s of this contraption never built it before; have only come across designs for makiwara posts, and homemade grappling/ground and pound dummies, and the strange looking wing chun wood dummies. I just combined the info from both and came up with what’s above.

Comment

• th65
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Feb 2011

This is great. I am going to try this when I get some free time. I like the Idea of making my workout equipment. I think it is a great way to same money, and you can customize it. Can you post some photos?

Comment

• Inkspill
        • Dec 2010

at the placed I boxed long ago, we had a string from one side to another of a section, about shoulder height when in stance. we would step slide and slip under to the left, under to the right, left, right, and go backwards, changing and maintaining lead foot, just to practice on both sides and transitions between lead leg. I have not heard of a slip stick before.

I was thinking you could get a strip of metal for mounting screws or metal posts sticking out, and mount 3 (or less) different angled posts at each height.

something like the picture?

then get your slip stick and drill a hole that will fit the posts snug enough to not fall off, but come off without damage or difficulty?

or maybe some sort of clamp like a vise, then you could clamp down at a specific angle, loosen and change angle, or loosen and put the stick into a different clamp?

Comment

• Heppsan
          • Jan 2011

Thanks alot, sounds like an interesting idea!

I love homemade equipment!!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...