• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaja6009
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2016

Stressful day at work, relaxing on the bag afterwards

Stressful day at work. Came home, remembered to actually record this time and hit for a bit. Wish I was able to work some of the newer stuff I am learning in but forgot. But this is probably 80% of what I know.

Thanks to all for helping me learn and inspiring me.

• sportsteresque
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2017

Good job Jamie

Looks like you got that double reverse multiple hit down pretty good now ! You're looking good.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by jaja6009 View Post
      Stressful day at work. Came home, remembered to actually record this time and hit for a bit. Wish I was able to work some of the newer stuff I am learning in but forgot. But this is probably 80% of what I know.

Thanks to all for helping me learn and inspiring me.

Great set. Looking really good on those Downward Double Elbow Strikes
      (D-DES). I did not see you link that Downward Fist through to Reverse Single Punch (RSP). You do it a few times off the Outward Double Elbow Strike. (O-DES) at starting at 3:28 with left fist and right fist at 3:42 I'm sure you can link off the Downward, I just didn't see it during this set.

ps: You can also link either of both fists off the Out-Down 4way Elbow. (O-D 4way), which you did several times (very nicely...)

You kept me waiting for a Downward Triple Elbow Strike (D-TES), until 5:53 (left lead) and 5:55 (right lead)

Did not see any Reverse Single Punch (RSP) to Elbow Strikes in Front. It mixes to a D-TES really easy (Opposite elbow), and O-DES with same elbow.

I also notice you favor rotate the fist order or FDP ' ' RDP. Notice after the F-Roll at 6:39 you start FDP ' ' RDP at 6:40 and a few of times you rotate the fist order or the RDP, favoring you Left fist through the sequence to about 6:41. That is the more difficult method and maybe you are doing it on purpose? just cool to see. (Rotating the fist order equals leading the FDP and RDP with SAME FIST: for instance FDP leading with Left Fist to RDP leading with Left Fist. normally that left fist would end up the second fist behind the bag, but you "rotate" it back over to the front to lead the RDP. When you do this naturally I find the person is favoring that fist, because it feels more comfortable to them. But it adds a little flash to the visual of the combo. PS: you can rotate the fist order of both the FDP and RDP.

( In the Speed Bag Bible I mistakenly said you cannot rotate the fist order of the Side Double Punch (SDP). ....and I firmly believe that until Master Justin Buffamonte (JUXT) showed up doing it on both sides of the bag. in SB-IV or V. ) I love it when they teach an old dog new tricks!

Your speed and timing was great, very consistent with very few miss hits..
      You're really improving. As a suggestion, spend a little practice doing repetitive Reverse Single Punching (RSP) x3 or 4, to front elbows, and multiple RDP, which we didn't see, but I'm pretty sure you can do.

punch on!
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jaja6009
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by ventanakaz
        Sweet and you hit it for 7:30, How do you like those bags, Do they need a bladder change, I'm guessing it comes with the black butyl rubber bladder

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using Tapatalk
        Some might not change it, but I felt it needed a bladder change. To me it's just so much livelier with a bladder change. I love the Genuine leather bags. The color scheme, the feel and they have a nice grip to them on your body parts (hands, elbows). It has become my goto bag for learning, but that's mostly because I use it so much I am most comfortable with it for new things. It's also not too fast for me.

Comment

• jaja6009
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          Great set. Looking really good on those Downward Double Elbow Strikes
          (D-DES). I did not see you link that Downward Fist through to Reverse Single Punch (RSP). You do it a few times off the Outward Double Elbow Strike. (O-DES) at starting at 3:28 with left fist and right fist at 3:42 I'm sure you can link off the Downward, I just didn't see it during this set.

ps: You can also link either of both fists off the Out-Down 4way Elbow. (O-D 4way), which you did several times (very nicely...)

You kept me waiting for a Downward Triple Elbow Strike (D-TES), until 5:53 (left lead) and 5:55 (right lead)

Did not see any Reverse Single Punch (RSP) to Elbow Strikes in Front. It mixes to a D-TES really easy (Opposite elbow), and O-DES with same elbow.

I also notice you favor rotate the fist order or FDP ' ' RDP. Notice after the F-Roll at 6:39 you start FDP ' ' RDP at 6:40 and a few of times you rotate the fist order or the RDP, favoring you Left fist through the sequence to about 6:41. That is the more difficult method and maybe you are doing it on purpose? just cool to see. (Rotating the fist order equals leading the FDP and RDP with SAME FIST: for instance FDP leading with Left Fist to RDP leading with Left Fist. normally that left fist would end up the second fist behind the bag, but you "rotate" it back over to the front to lead the RDP. When you do this naturally I find the person is favoring that fist, because it feels more comfortable to them. But it adds a little flash to the visual of the combo. PS: you can rotate the fist order of both the FDP and RDP.

( In the Speed Bag Bible I mistakenly said you cannot rotate the fist order of the Side Double Punch (SDP). ....and I firmly believe that until Master Justin Buffamonte (JUXT) showed up doing it on both sides of the bag. in SB-IV or V. ) I love it when they teach an old dog new tricks!

Your speed and timing was great, very consistent with very few miss hits..
          You're really improving. As a suggestion, spend a little practice doing repetitive Reverse Single Punching (RSP) x3 or 4, to front elbows, and multiple RDP, which we didn't see, but I'm pretty sure you can do.

punch on!
          Alan for some reason I have the hardest time linking any DES to RSP. It's something that confounds me just like I cannot for the life of me land I-DES's to save my life. I may have to get out a 7x10 to start to learn all the above.

The D-TES's came so late because I forgot to do them! I was starting to get tired and remembered I hadn't done any!

I will try to RSP to DES, I have not done it before, but think I can do that.

And yes I DO have a tendency to favor an arm when doing FDP to RDP. Even when I try to do it the other way I still seem to revert back to favoring.

Thanks for the advice and coaching! I have finally stopped just hitting according to pictures, and took the time to now have in my head the correct names for the techniques, and that is helping me. I do try to have a game plan when hitting, but sometimes I revert back to my favorite hits, which you can see are O-DES, follwed by D-DES, that is by far my safety move, when I can't decide what to do next and need filler.

My neighbor has complained again about the noise, so I really can only hit now between 10AM and 6PM, and since I don't get home from work until 7PM I am losing out on a lot of bagging time. BUT, I am pretty much ready to put my townhome up for sale so I can get my house. Once I get the house, a dog and a dedicated speed bag room are coming. If I can't sell my house quick I may build a cage like Tim did. My setup vibrates the wall and my neighbor can hear the base from that. She doesn't hear the bag or swivel noise.

Comment

• jaja6009
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Dec 2016

Originally posted by sportsteresque View Post
            Looks like you got that double reverse multiple hit down pretty good now ! You're looking good.
            What's up Ric?
            You gotta get some videos up here. One day if you're having trouble I might have to get them up here for you. Talk to ya soon.

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Alan for some reason I have the hardest time linking any DES to RSP. It's something that confounds me just like I cannot for the life of me land I-DES's to save my life. I may have to get out a 7x10 to start to learn all the above.
              There is a slight trick to doing the Downward Double Elbow Strike (D-DES) to the Reverse Single Punch (RSP) [ written as: (D-DES ' ' RSP). As the elbow makes contact on the bag you "may" continue it's motion more down-outward, bring the fist into the bag more on a C shape arc. When the fist contacts the bag you elbow position will be close to the "up" position, so the fist can contact the bag with the palm of the hand is almost facing directly to the floor, rather than up straight, facing sideways.

Another way is to snap the elbow up to parallel WHEN that downward fist hits the bag, almost pivoting that fist on the contact so the palm is facing down and elbow is up. (Key is palm facing close to downward toward the floor.)

It is possible to link the fist in a "Hammer fist position" of the downward elbow movement through, but it's a lot harder (IMO) to do that because when it gets behind the bag the elbow will be facing down, which pretty much sets you up to do continuous Reverse Punching with that fist for a punch or two until you reposition the elbow. It's just easier for me with elbow up and palm facing to floor.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

.... I do try to have a game plan when hitting, but sometimes I revert back to my favorite hits, which you can see are O-DES, follwed by D-DES, that is by far my safety move, when I can't decide what to do next and need filler.
              A "game plan" is a great idea, especially for practicing. Since you said you have learned the technique names ( Bless you ) and can write some exercises, I suggest you write out a few combinations you are having trouble with and at the opening of every work out, when your fresh, work on those 2, 3 or combinations. Keep them short, and do equally with both hands leading. Such as Reverse Single Punching to Downward Triple Elbow Strike (RSP ' ' D-TES). So you know that the fist doing RSP will pass to front and lead the D-TES (f/-ef) order, so, with do some continuous RSP x3 etc in triplet rhythm and then pass to front to lead the D-TES.

Or you can also do it from passing a fist through Front Circle Punch to Reverse Single Punch (FCP ' ' RSP..) Again, you know that RSP contact will pass to front and do FCP as the lead fist of the D-TES. secret to both is having the other arm (for downward elbow) raise up already.

Since you know you are going to do the downward elbow, I find it best to raise that arm up as the RSP connects so it is already in position when it passes to front.

HINT: Same thing after a Reverse Double Punch (RDP). as the lead fist hits in the RDP, that arm will pass and raise up for the coming downward elbow. it will connect and raise up as the second fist hits the bag. that second fist is really nothing more than a RSP following the other fist on "one rebound" to make it a RDP, but the contact is no different than a normal RSP. It just appears to be a more complicated combination RDP ' ' D-TES - but its' not.

you can do FDP ' ' RDP ' ' D-TES ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' RDP ' ' D-TES...

and also FDP ' ' RDP ' ' O-TES ' ' RDP ' ' D-TES ' ' RDP ' ' O-TES ' ' RDP ' ' D-TES ' ' ....

*Key is letting both fists pass through after the O-TES or D-TES.

Hope this helps.

++++++++++++++++++++
              Last edited by Speedbag; 10-01-2017, 11:22 PM.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• speedbagnoob
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Nov 2017

Damn that's so slick work on the speed bag...almost sounds like a song hah

Comment

• jaja6009
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by speedbagnoob View Post
                  Damn that's so slick work on the speed bag...almost sounds like a song hah
                  Thanks. I do tend to hit to the same beat even with different strikes.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...