Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bag-A-Holic
    • Apr 2011

Ken, once again, outstanding job, A MASTER PIECE!!
    -Anthony

Comment

• PunchDrummer
      • Jan 2012

Beautiful!

Comment

• Biff
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by kenk View Post
        Just completed the drum and installed on the valor ca-53 platform. The drum weights 61 lbs, is 27" in diameter, 5" thick, and made from fir. The previous factory drum was 23" dia, 2" thick and weighed 23lbs. New drum has six coats of oil clear based polyurethane for protection. Haven't put much time into hitting yet, but initial impressions are that it has excellent rebound, and it looks MASSIVE!...hopefully not too massive.... Will take some video using different size bags for comparison...
        Kenk, any video yet, of this bad boy in action?
        Attached Files

Comment

• Edoson
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jan 2014

Great job on the upgrade.

I'm planing a similar upgrade to a Valor Fitness CA-2, which I plan to purchase soon. My drum will be 27" in diameter and will consist of Santos Mahogany wood, glued up and then cut on end grain, finally re glued and backed with a 1/4" steel plate. Approx weight is estimated to be 85 lbs. From your experience can the frame handle this weight? It will need to be adjusted daily as my son will also train on this and is shorter than me, I'm concerned it may be too much weight for the adjusting mechanism. Thoughts?

Thanks

Comment

• kenk
            • Dec 2012

Good luck making the new drum....post some photos...I believe that the platform will be able to handle the weight...most of the weight is on the screw jack as opposed to the locking screws. I still get some flexing on the frame during hitting...the manufacturer uses plastic bushings in the sleeves that ride along the solid steel rods...I would have preferred using sintered bronze bushings inserts since they won't easily compress like plastic will. Could easily make them if you have access to a lathe. I may do that sometime, but would have to disassemble unit make it happen...best of luck!

Comment

• Edoson
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jan 2014

OK thanks for the info. I have a bunch of projects on my plate at the moment, but once I start, I will post some pics.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Skinner
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Feb 2014

That's one nice job you did on the new drum Kent!
                That's as solid as they come.
                Cant wait to see it in action.

Skinner

Comment

• RLX
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • May 2016

Hey Kenk, have you actually made any videos of this?

Will you do this again? And for how much?

Comment

• TheNotoriousBoxer
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Sep 2017

Kenk need help!

Hey kenk that speed bag platform/forum looks amazing!! Where did you post you vid for it? And can you please give me info on how you built it and what exactly did you use? Can anyone help me on that please and thank you

Comment

• kenk
                      • Dec 2012

The earlier parts of the post show how I made the drum...It was tedious since I did not have access to certain commercial tools that would have made it easier to fabricate. The drum is super solid and looks stunning...the platform that it is attached to is somewhat under-designed and not quite stiff enough to be completely vibration free. I have no plans to build another platform...

Comment

• TheNotoriousBoxer
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Sep 2017

Kenk

Okay, thanks for replying! I just wanna know, if you ever hit on it and how does it sound? Cause I'm actally going to try and built a replica of yours cause you really inspired me cause I would love one for my home gym. I was gonna get the same platform and everything.

Comment

• TheNotoriousBoxer
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Sep 2017

Kenk

Do you recommend anything? Like a different platform? Or anything that could help

Comment

• kenk
                            • Dec 2012

The drum is solid and sounds great, but the platform is under-designed and too flimsy. There may be better and stronger adjustable platforms available, but I think you have to look long and hard to sift through the junk before you get well engineered high quality platform...

Comment

• warren zygelman
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Dec 2017

End of grain chopping block speed ball platform

Dear Baggers

We are hand manufacturing speed ball platforms in the UK fixed and adjustable height frames using a worm drive system, in high quality steel and powder coated.

We also provide a selection of circular end of grain chopping block platforms in oak
                              sizes as below
                              620mm x 100mm
                              720mm x 100mm
                              620mm x 150mm

Please contact me on w.zygelman@hotmail.com

Kind regards
                              Warren Zygelman

Comment

• RKahn
                                Speed Bag Trainee
                                • Dec 2017

Platform weight idea

I’m just a beginner working the Bible lessons from the beginning. I put the Everlast adjustable platform up and added two 1”x 24” inch rounds from Home Depot for about $11 ea. Nice but I just received a $20 Everlast double ended bag anchor unit by mail. It’s also about 24” round and holds 50 lbs of sand. I’m going to fill the bladder with sand ($5) at Home Depot and put that on top! Cheap set up but solid so far and guessing about to become really solid!! I’m only practicing an hour to an hour and a half a day but the set up feels good to me so far. I defer to ya’all with reverence.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...