• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SupergeZ
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2007

Incorperating a speedbag in your workout

recently ive been on abit of a health kick, im eating really healthy and watching my calories aswell as working out with cardio and strength exercises. as you all probably know by know i got a speedbag setup the other day, this made me think, instead of doing it just for fun and to improve my co-ordination... why dont i incorperate speedbag sessions in my workout. yesterday i tried it for the first time in my workout, hitting the bag between doing sets of curls, presses, lunches, etc and i found the intensity of my workout increased alot!

i would do a set of 12 barbell presses for example, then have 30 seconds on the speedbag, then another set of barbell presses, then straight into another 30 seconds of speedbagging and so on. at the end of my workout id never felt such a burn in both my shoulders and bi's and tri's. the bag i have is fairly big and the swivel is slow so i have to give it a real punishing to keep it going continuously for 30 seconds.

im now going to incorperate speedbag sessions in all of my strength related workouts, between sets, aswell as doing it on its own for longer periods of time for a good cardio workout, and ofcourse doing it for fun!

anyone of you guys here use your speedbag as part of your workouts?
  • BillyMack
    • Sep 2006

Oh yeah....

The speed bag plays a huge part in my routine as well. I use it to get warmed up before lifting and do rounds in between my sets.

I'm a total DIY home gym kind of guy. Something about going to the gym has never caught on for me; I like to choose my own music but most importantly I like to grunt, scream, and yell.

I use resistance bands to hit all the muscle groups and I recently built a pull-up bar for about $30. I rigged up a weight-assist using resistance tubing with the pull-up bar - was pretty proud of myself.

I also built a DARD (dynamic axial rotation device) back in December to help rehabilitate my ankle - it's done wonders.

If anyone wants more info on recplicating a gym at home, let me know - or if you have some cool ideas share those too...

Comment

• SupergeZ
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2007

thats awesome billymack, sounds like you have a helluva setup.

im all for home gym / training aswell, the gym for me is too expensive to go regularly, and isnt as satisfying as doing it in the comfort of your own home with your own equipment. id rather get fitter and stronger and in better shape at home on the cheap. atm i have a pullup bar, numerous dumbells, a weight bench with leg and fly addons, and ofcourse a barbell. a mat for doing crunches, reverse crunches, leg raises etc on, and ofc the speedbag. in adition i do some running, alot of walking, especially down the woods with the dog, and soon to be starting kickboxing! cant wait

im currently looking to expand my collection with a pair of kettle bells, a home built forearm thing which is like a wooden bar with rope tied to it and you reel a weight up and down it with your hands, im sure youve all seen them, and i really want an Ez-Curl bar!

Comment

• jaguiler
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2007

I too am into this.... although I do play racquetball regularly at the gym, and still go to the gym to swim, and see friend mostly. I do some workouts at home on rainy days, winter, and evenings when I have time to kill.

I run outside, use treadmill, basketball filled with sand (16lbs) to do my stretches with resistance and mild rep lifting with it. Heavy bag and double end bag, and jump rope. All on gym mats... I have a pretty nice setup now... going to make it even better....

Chk out my thread on heart rate monitor training.... it explains and compares the level of effort used in hitting the speedbag.

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

The only speed bagging that I do is not usually associated with a workout really. When I workout, it's usually boxing class twice a week or going to the gym three or four times a week, and my gym doesn't have any speedbags.

I occasionally do incorporate my speedbagging into my workout, but it's usually to cool down between hitting the heavy bag. Sometimes I feel like hitting the speed bag between some rounds on the heavy bag and sometimes I don't.

I don't do any weight lifting at home, only bag work (heavy, double-end, and speed) and running.

When I hit the speed bag, it's usually just for fun. The workout I get from it is just a side benefit.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by SupergeZ View Post
            .....anyone of you guys here use your speedbag as part of your workouts?
            hmmm. let me think......

In my youth, yes. I used it a lot for pumping the shoulders and triceps. Really brings out the deltoid muscle Striations and definition too. Then I would use it for endurance, to hold my arms up. Mostly, I needed endurance to...hold my arms up to hit the speed bag. Especially for long sets of fast music.

Nowadays, I'm a little tamer for several reasons, and don't get under the board nearly as much as I used to.

Here are a few tips to actually modify or design a speed bag workout to target certains areas such as strength, speed, endurance etc.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ashe
              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by SupergeZ View Post
              a home built forearm thing which is like a wooden bar with rope tied to it and you reel a weight up and down it with your hands, im sure youve all seen them, and i really want an Ez-Curl bar!
              it's called a windlass.

Comment

• SupergeZ
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Mar 2007

sexy name, cheers ashe

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...