• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ibz2004
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Apr 2007

Speedball Height?

Hello there im another new boy having purchased a speedball recently!

My question is at what height level should the speedball be at? At the moment i am punching just above eye-level but im thinking should it be higher.

thanks
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

The ideal height that we on this forum have found is to have the belly or the fattest part of the bag at the mouth or chin level.

Alan Kahn, our resident speed bag grandmaster and author of The Speedbag Bible (Pick up your copy here: http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Bag-Bibl...7503936&sr=1-1 says that you should hold your fists up to your mouth/chin area with your elbows pointing out and adjust the belly of the bag to your fists.

Also, check out his site, there are lots of pointers and video clips for beginners and advanced users: http://www.speedbagcentral.com/

There are lots of people here who are eager to help out beginners so don't be shy about asking or posting a video clip for us. I promise no one will laugh or make fun of you, we were ALL beginners at one time or another. This board is all about helping each other becoming better at the speed bag.

Chris

Comment

• Kyle
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2006

seconded that site will teach ya alot
      ________
      Diana_Sexy cam
      Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:22 AM.

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
        The ideal height that we on this forum have found is to have the belly or the fattest part of the bag at the mouth or chin level.
        I'll second that. Belly of the bag at mouth or chin level. The reason may not seem clear now, but once you're passing your first through the bag and to the reverse side, hitting the from side, elbows, etc. you'll see the light

Comment

• Roscoe
          • May 2006

The Right Height?

Originally posted by Tim View Post
          I'll second that. Belly of the bag at mouth or chin level. The reason may not seem clear now, but once you're passing your first through the bag and to the reverse side, hitting the from side, elbows, etc. you'll see the light
          Click image for larger version

Name:	P4240079.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	87109

Howz this?

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
            [ATTACH]96[/ATTACH]

Howz this?
            that camera angle makes it almost impossible to determine, at least for me. Having the camera above or below the normal level of the bag, (chin-to-nose) makes it very difficult to tell if the bag height or swing motion is correct because the viewing perspective makes judging location and distance difficult. It is much easier to determine speed bag setup, and swing motions etc. from a level side perspective.

here is what I think is the correct setup for hitting the way "we" do, (from all around the bag). Notice the straight line from the lips, through the hands, to the belly of the bag. A second key feature to this setup is the upper arm and elbow position, up close to parallel. As you scroll down the page you will see the same camera perspective. Most of my pictures are setup that way, so the alignments can be easily determined.

Typically, boxers set it higher, under the theory that they will better learn and train to hold the arms up. Many of them have the belly of the bag at the forehead, which I believe makes it very difficult to punch effectively from the back and sides. But boxers don't focus on hitting from the back and sides. They also want to keep their elbows down to train for protecting the sides and waistline, stomach and ribs. Again, very difficult to hit from all sides with the elbows low. And after 36 years of hitting the speed bag, not one has ever hit me in the ribs.

Nose and chin, yes, ribs no.
            Last edited by Speedbag; 04-26-2007, 06:52 AM.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• BillyMack
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
              [ATTACH]96[/ATTACH]

Howz this?
              Lookin a little pale there, Roscoe...

Comment

• SupergeZ
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Mar 2007

i love how youve dressed your BOB

Comment

• ibz2004
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Apr 2007

hey everyone thanks for the replies. Y'all seems friendly and helpful on here and it hasnt gone unnoticed. i will check out those links and get cracking on the speedball!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...