X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MaccZero8
    • Mar 2011

Newbie here just saying hey

Hi everyone, I have been contemplating speed bagging for quite sometime and tonight I finally bit the bullet and ordered (what I think) is everything I need to get my ass in motion

So let's see what I have coming in the mail:

*Everlast Adjustable platform
    -Heard it's great for beginners
    -I live in a condo and plan on having this in my bedroom... so what's the best way to mount this to decrease the overall noise when working out?

*Title Gyro Balanced Speed Bag Large 7x10 (only $24.99 on Titleboxing)

-Heard it's heavier then the Title Classics so figured I might go a bit smaller to compensate.
    - But is it a better bag?

*Title Boxing Speed Wraps

-As I was reading on one of Allen's posts, women tend to like wraps/gloves.
    -Will these work just as well as hand wraps? Seems easier to put on.

Is there anything in particular a female might need over a male?

Anyways, I am happy and excited to be a part of this community and can't wait to get started

Thanks in advance for any feedback you guys might leave me!
  • Bagster
    • Feb 2011

Welcome MaccZero8,

Looks like you have everything in line, I am new to this myself but I'm sure the Veterans will chime in on your setup. Good luck and happy bagg'n.
    Bagster

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by MaccZero8 View Post
      Hi everyone, I have been contemplating speed bagging for quite sometime and tonight I finally bit the bullet and ordered (what I think) is everything I need to get my ass in motion
      Welcome to the forum!

-I live in a condo and plan on having this in my bedroom... so what's the best way to mount this to decrease the overall noise when working out?
      See here:

That's Alan Kahn's (forum member Speedbag) site and he's got a lot of great tips for hanging equipment.

I'd also recommend some extra weight on top of the platform to keep the vibration to a minimum. Some people use sand (in a bag usually double wrapped, etc) , others use whatever they have handy.

-Heard it's heavier then the Title Classics so figured I might go a bit smaller to compensate.
      Excellent bag, highly recommended.

The only thing I would have recommended is some sort of hand protection , either gloves or wraps. Those speed wraps will work just fine. Speed bagging bare handed will toughen up your hands, I realize that is something you may not want!

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Aug 2010

Bag gloves recommended!..They may have a pair included with your platform

Anyways, I am happy and excited to be a part of this community and can't wait to get started

Thanks in advance for any feedback you guys might leave me!
        Welcome to the forum MaccZero8! This is a very positive community that will help you anyway we can. Your list of bagging materials looks great for starting out. Using bag gloves are easy to get on and off quickly and are great for the times when your hands get sore from punching. I often bag with these gloves ( http://store.titleboxing.com/title-l...ag-gloves.html ) when my hands are sore and switch out from gloves to bare hands frequently. The bag gloves make for a quick transition. Good luck with your new fitness activity......Watch out it's very addicting!

Have fun and keep on Bagging!
        Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• jumpcannon
          Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

sounds like your getting the speedbag virus! i dont think theres a cure for it either! welcome to the forums and you wont find any better people than on here!
          evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Feb 2010

Hi and welcome to the forum MaccZero8!

Sounds like you'll be ready to roll when all your packages arrive
            The sand bag on top of the board is a good idea, it should cut down the noise levels a bit too. Good luck with setting everything up, looking forward to hear you get on. Don't forget to give us an update!

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

Welcome to the forum. It totally looks like you got all the quality equipment you need. Tim (forum administrator) swears by Title bags and I have a Title 10x7 that has lasted me 4 years so you're good there. I just have to ask if you have a garage with your condo unit?I only ask because I live in a condo also and putting a platform iin one of the bedrooms was never part of the equation when I started bagging. We have a garage and even though it is at the other end of the property, I go there regularly. Just curious if you have one or not. Good luck getting started and hope to see you posting videos soon.
              sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Welcome to forum MaccZero8,

Your equipment selections look solid for what you want. My only concern is the noise issue your fear. Sand bags on top will hold the board more stable but the sound of the rebounding bag may still be heard in the other condo's, especially if you have a lot of hard surfaces in the bag area to reflect the sound. Carpet on the walls went out of style some time ago, but sound proofing the "bagroom" can help kill the reverb.

Eventually you will probably end up hitting mostly bare handed. Until then I suggest you avoid gloves that have seams or webbing directly over the contact surfaces of your hands.

Good luck with your training.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MaccZero8
                  • Mar 2011

Thank you everyone

As far as where to mount the platform, I have a one bedroom place and plan on mounting it on a wall i share with my living room. There is no where else to put it :/ I only share one wall with my neighbor on the opposite side of my place but I do have people upstairs and downstairs from me. I'm waiting for my friend to get here with a drill so I can at least mount the platform before the bag gets here on Thursday. I can't even wait! I'm almost tempted to run down to Big 5 and buy a bag to try it out, then return it when the good stuff arrives.

Comment

• Dutchman
                    Speed Bag Historian
                    • Jun 2006

Sheetrock on 2x4 wooden studs creates a massive resonator, even with insulation installed. You may want to have a friend help you with a "thump" test to see how far the sound and vibration travels before you install the platform. Just pound on the wall with your hand at the location you want to install it and have your friend see how far away you can hear it.

Comment

• MaccZero8
                      • Mar 2011

So I installed the platform A-okay by myself the other day... even though it took me a good 2 hours to do so. Found the studs so its all sturdy and and good to go. The platform came with the cotter pin swivel... what is the quality of it and should i think about replacing it already?

Comment

• Tim
                        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

The platform came with the cotter pin swivel... what is the quality of it and should i think about replacing it already?
                        I think it depends on your aspirations... If you want to punch like Alan Kahn or Speed Bag Skunk, or many of the people on this web site, you are probably better off with a ball hook swivel such as the Powermill evil swivel - made and sold by forum member JumpCannon.

It sounds like you are using a U-Bolt swivel, they aren't bad, but, they typically don't take side punches very well, that is they introduce some erratic rebounds when side punching.

We call our style of punching "bible style" ... after the Speed Bag Bible. Side punches are a key part of bible style punching. If you are content with back and front punching or boxing style punching, a u-bolt will be sufficient.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...