• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • axis
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2016

New member looking for some input on a setup overhaul

First and foremost, hello everyone! What a great forum! Attached are some pictures of my setup i built about 12 years ago with my father. It has been through a lot of moves and has finally settled in my new home. I originally built it because i moved into a condo and i knew mounting anything would be out of the question due to obvious reasons, and the stand-alone choices out there are just awful IMO. As you can see I have 90lbs of dumbbells and a cement bag on top to absorb the vibration that has been getting worse due to the tube steel weakening over the years. What i want to do at this point is remove the speed bag setup and build or buy a new one.

My first thought is welding some angle iron for the frame and finding a big block of wood to use.

Or, buy something off the shelf and just mount it up. I am leaning towards completely building something or a combination of the two i.e. buy an adjustable frame and do the wood platform myself or vice versa.

I just wanted to bounce this off you guys to get some feedback to get the creative juices flowing.

Questions: Where can I find a 2X2 block of wood? What are some good QUALITY adjustable systems out there?

any input would be really appreciated.

Thank you

• spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

What I would do

So I think that base is boss. You guys did a great job especially on the welds. I would pick a wall and bolt the tubes,, you now have the speed bag platform hung from, to a wall. Bolt that bad boy to the floor and hang the new rig from the, What 4" tube?, the heavy is hung from. Find your height from the floor you want your platform and fill the space between the height of your platform and that heavy bag hanger tube frame and fill it in with framing or with a solid butcher block of a drum!!! I would increase the height of the riser tube and triangulate down and cross with supports as well. Bolted to the wall and to the floor will be strong, brace where it is not. I have found pub tables are perfect for platforms, and am building under one now. Good luck and welcome,
    make sure to post what you come up with!!
    The Speed Ball should be in every hall

Comment

• axis
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Mar 2016

Originally posted by spdyTommyT View Post
      So I think that base is boss. You guys did a great job especially on the welds. I would pick a wall and bolt the tubes,, you now have the speed bag platform hung from, to a wall. Bolt that bad boy to the floor and hang the new rig from the, What 4" tube?, the heavy is hung from. Find your height from the floor you want your platform and fill the space between the height of your platform and that heavy bag hanger tube frame and fill it in with framing or with a solid butcher block of a drum!!! I would increase the height of the riser tube and triangulate down and cross with supports as well. Bolted to the wall and to the floor will be strong, brace where it is not. I have found pub tables are perfect for platforms, and am building under one now. Good luck and welcome,
      make sure to post what you come up with!!
      Tommy thanks for your response! I think my post was a bit confusing and i am a bit confused on your response. I want to put another speed bag setup back on my existing stand. I know a wall is a great idea but i would rather keep it self contained as i may finish my basement and i can easily relocate the stand if need be. You got me thinking though, if i did go to the wall i could put a double-end bag on there... Thanks for the compliments too! I love this stand, and it is solid! Correct 4" square stock.

I did reach out to a few of my buddies and i can get 4x4 oak blocks easily. I was thinking about doing this. I could plane them and glue together then stain. The blocks are used for setting huge I-Beams on the ground and my buddy says they are so dense they can barely be used as fire wood. Then weld up some angle iron to mount them too, it wouldn't be adjustable though. I have been looking online at setups but just cant find something that i really really like 100%

Comment

• Bag Man
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by axis View Post
        Tommy thanks for your response! I think my post was a bit confusing and i am a bit confused on your response. I want to put another speed bag setup back on my existing stand. I know a wall is a great idea but i would rather keep it self contained as i may finish my basement and i can easily relocate the stand if need be. You got me thinking though, if i did go to the wall i could put a double-end bag on there... Thanks for the compliments too! I love this stand, and it is solid! Correct 4" square stock.

I did reach out to a few of my buddies and i can get 4x4 oak blocks easily. I was thinking about doing this. I could plane them and glue together then stain. The blocks are used for setting huge I-Beams on the ground and my buddy says they are so dense they can barely be used as fire wood. Then weld up some angle iron to mount them too, it wouldn't be adjustable though. I have been looking online at setups but just cant find something that i really really like 100%
        A way to "adjust" the type of fixed set-up your describing is to build it a bit higher than you would typically need and then build a moveable platform(s) underneath to give you the desired height(s). Rather than moving the set-up you "move" the floor so to speak.
        "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• axis
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Mar 2016

Just updating this thread to let you guys know i am getting somewhat close on the new build. I will post pics of everything when done for sure! Thanks again

Comment

• MDJAK
            • Mar 2016

Look forward to the pics. But I gotta say, that's a nice setup, but what stops those dumbells from rolling off and hitting you right in the ol' noggin? Wow, that looks dangerous. Take it from one who just got hit across the bridge of the nose by a 15 pound sandbag I had up there unsecured.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...