X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

MsDee & THE PLAIN WHITE T's - "Rhythm of Love"

Okay. So, there's this punch-drumming virus going around. And I caught it. One of the symptoms is uploading videos to the forum in quick succession...

Yup. I got the speed bag bug.

So, I heard this song yesterday and bought it. It's such a happy tune, I couldn't help myself.

This was a dry run (as usual, not intended to be uploaded) and I was just dinkin' around. I even missed the intro beat. I've been trying to do that multiple forward punching, followed with a pass through to the back of the bag. I keep rushing it.

But, there were other parts of this that I really liked and thought I' d post it. Hope you enjoy it, for what it's worth...

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • Jake
    • Mar 2011

Great video! That song has a nice beat, and you're on it. That swivel makes a nice clicking sound. Is that one of Jumpcannons swivels?

I like the split fists from the side. Do you call those hook punches? I tried those a couple times and found them difficult. I'll have to give them another try.

I really enjoy watching your videos MsDeville! They have a great look, sound, and feel.
    Last edited by Jake; 01-09-2012, 10:39 AM.

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

"Nothing is better for thee, than 720p" - old Quaker oats ad.

Thanks for the HD. Do you find you enjoy music more now that you've been punch drumming for so long? I mean, has punch drumming opened up a deeper appreciation of music?
      Last edited by paranday; 01-08-2012, 08:02 PM.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Jake View Post
        Great video! That song has a nice beat, and you're on it. That swivel makes a nice clicking sound. Is that one of Jumpcannons swivels?

I like the split fists from the side. Do you call those hook punches? I tried those a couple times and found them difficult. I'll have to give them another try.

I love watching your videos MsDeville! They have a great look, sound, and feel.
        I'm glad you enjoy my videos, Jake. I like to think that I inspire others to get hooked on this speed bag thing...

I'm not sure what those side punches are called, or, if there is even a name for them. (Alan?) I just like striking the bag from the side like that. It changes things up. And I think it looks pretty. It takes a little re-thinking of how to position the fists and elbows, and get the timing...I'm still refining them. Keep at it, and you'll find that they are not that hard to do. I must admit, I like how I used them here... at 2:27 – my left fist comes in right at the moment the drum kicks in... that makes me happy. This is why I like recording first takes.

Bag on.
        Last edited by MsDeville; 02-06-2012, 08:13 PM. Reason: innacurate information.
        sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
        I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by paranday View Post
          "Nothing is better for thee, than 720p" - old Quaker oats ad.

Do you find you enjoy music more now that you've been punch drumming for so long? I mean, has punch drumming opened up a deeper appreciation of music?
          Oh yes! For sure!

And Alan's response and explanation of music measures, etc., in Jake's Thread ("Far Away" video)... about how to understand music was very helpful for me http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3988 since I have no musical background other than singing and some random clarinet and piano lessons as a child...

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
            I'm glad you enjoy my videos, Jake. I like to think that I inspire others to get hooked on this speed bag thing...

The swivel is a prototype of a swivel design that I'm working on. More about that later...

I'm not sure what those side punches are called, or, if there is even a name for them. (Alan?) I just like striking the bag from the side like that. It changes things up. And I think it looks pretty. It takes a little re-thinking of how to position the fists and elbows, and get the timing...I'm still refining them. Keep at it, and you'll find that they are not that hard to do. I must admit, I like how I used them here... at 2:27 – my left fist comes in right at the moment the drum kicks in... that makes me happy. This is why I like recording first takes.

Bag on.
            From 2:30 - 2:42 you do that really nice side punching. Hitting the front knuckles of the fist on the side of the bag is indeed a Hook Punch (HP).

Then the fist passed through to contact the back of the hand on the other side.

AND NOW YOU SEE THE CHALLENGE IN NAMING SPEED BAG TECHNIQUES and CREATING ABBREVIATIONS to write them down to remember easier, or pass on to others.

This is gonna take a while....

That is a Single Fist punch to the SIDE of the Bag that contacts the Back area of the hand. Consider the Hook Punch (HP) hits the front fist knuckles on the side of the bag, and the Side Single Punch (SSP) hits the thumb and index finger area on the side of the bag, with the palm down [like a Reverse Single Punch (RSP) just angled to the side panel]. So how will you differentiate this fist bag contact to convey the different area of the hand and what part of the bag (side) it hits.

When I was writing The Speed Bag Bible I was faced with that dilemma, for I have always known about these but rarely saw them or used them much myself. My mentor, Dr. Schroeder, Did use the back of his hand to hit the back of the bag in a punching skill he called "the rocking chair", which used what I call a Front Straight Punch (FSP) that passed through and you flip your palm up so the back area of the hand contacts the back of the bag. That back hand contact is shown in his book (below). But I rarely used it, even forgot about it until I got serious about creating some other system for technique names and writing combinations. I already had the more useful "Reverse Single Punch" (RSP) and this is also a Reverse Single Punch, but how could I differentiate the two? Call it a "Back Hand Reverse Punch" or Reverse Back Hand Punch" (RBHP)? Karate has already has a well know Back Fist and I was going to use that for that movement - AND the back fist punching motion comes from the same side as the fist hits the bag, and this punch comes from the opposite side (front) and passes to the back area. And I hate that elbow arm position, which is awkward for me.

The same thing for Dee's Punch in this video clip. She hits a standard Hook Punch (HP) with the front knuckles on the side of the bag, and that fist passes under to flip back up and let the back hand area hit the other side of the bag. In theory, this is another Side Single Punch but not the same part of the hand making contact. I wouldn't call that a "BACK FiST" to the side of the bag because a standard martial arts back fist would come to the bag from that same side, not pass through. I have also known of this punch for a long time, and rarely used it. I figured if you can hit from the front, pass through flip the wrist up to hit the back of the hand on the back of the bag, you can do the same thing from the side. (duh..)

Not being sure what to call them or how to differentiate the contact areas, I "thought about it" in 1993-1995 while I wrote what was a lot easier to use and understand. When I realized the book was already going to be well over 200 pages and adding every new written page was another 1500 pages to pay for printing (1500 copies in first print run) ....and - each technique (Reverse Back Hand single Punch) (RBHSP) and Side Back Hand Single Punch (SBHSP) would require an additional 2 pages each at least to add the text and pictures.. (4 pages of info for the book = 6,000 more pages printing cost plus pictures, halftones etc.) ... I decided not to include them. BOO! Maybe a bad choice now but I couldn't justify another thousand or so more for printing, as well as spending a month or more writing the combination that use them. I figured the 24 already included would be enough for the time.

Sorry this was so long, but it does let you see some of the problems and variations to consider when trying to understand, unravel, and then explain all of the amazing techniques and combinations possible on the speed bag.

...for instance, consider the Outward-Triple Elbow Strike (O-TES). Many here know that you can pass the lead (first) fist or Second Fist through to hit a Reverse Single Punch (RSP) which hits the thumb-index finger part of the hand with the palm down, on the back (reverse) area of the bag. What about using the BACK area of your hand to hit the back of the bag? Sure it can be done, but how do you explain that in a written combination, or demonstrate it.

If you understand that, try doing it with the lead fist and see how far you get. Have your left elbow start the O-TES, then have the lead fist (left) pass through, and then after the second fist hits the front of the bag, have that lead fist that passed through hit the reverse punch with the back of the hand. Try it and you will quickly see how futile that is. It might work with the second fist but it's almost impossible with the lead fist. And if your ripping it up at full speed it makes no sense to flip around to change hand positions. Flipping your wrists around to change positions when punching at near full speed is useless and asking for a miss hit.

Now try the same thing with either a Side-Triple Elbow Strike (S-TES) or Side Double Punch (SDP), and let one fist pass to the other side and do what Dee is doing, hitting the other side with the back of her hand. You will quickly see it really only works after a Hook.

phew....

(actually, I love this stuff... )
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Speedbag; 01-08-2012, 11:23 PM.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              phew....

(actually, I love this stuff... )

Why, it doesn't show a bit...

Alan, it's great that you have this passion to explain these punches in such detail. Thank you. And I even understood the bulk of what you explained here!

Regarding that side punch. My hope is to refine it to a point where it looks more like a deano-style side punch. A pipe dream, I know!

Here's a video that Tim put up on YouTube from SpeedB.A.G. 2010 and Deano is tutoring Biff and Tim on the art of Aussie side punches. There is a lot of background noise, but if you listen carefully, Deano explains the stance and positioning, and the explanation of this punch from a boxing point of view. It's a pretty good video... except near the end. Some dork came in and talked all over the end of it and then knocked the camera over...

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                [/SIZE]
                Why, it doesn't show a bit...

Alan, it's great that you have this passion to explain these punches in such detail. Thank you. And I even understood the bulk of what you explained here!

Regarding that side punch. My hope is to refine it to a point where it looks more like a deano-style side punch. A pipe dream, I know!

Here's a video that Tim put up on YouTube from SpeedB.A.G. 2010 and Deano is tutoring Biff and Tim on the art of Aussie side punches. There is a lot of background noise, but if you listen carefully, Deano explains the stance and positioning, and the explanation of this punch from a boxing point of view. It's a pretty good video... except near the end. Some dork came in and talked all over the end of it and then knocked the camera over...

Deano uses the back of the hand to the side of the bag a lot. I have some video of him (and he sent me some from AU) that I have looked at a lot in slow motion. In fact, he hits the side of the bag with front of his hand also. think of slapping it with the palm, but close it into a fist. He creates a hybrid side double punch by have the lead fist hit the back of his hand and the second fist hits the front (palm facing the bag).

Bif is kinda doing it in that video occassionally.

...again, a Side Double Punch with very different fist positions on contact.

You'll make it your own shortly. No doubt of that.
                Last edited by Speedbag; 02-06-2012, 08:54 PM.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• PunchDrummer
                  • Jan 2012

I just found this.
                  That was very sweet! The song is going to be in my head all day now.

I'm sitting outside on the couch-swing, Kahula in my coffee, watched your performance, and then watched as a hummingbird inspected my outdoor setup. Just floated there looking at the bag (Rival black with white bottom) for maybe a minute. I couldn't move. Do we really need TV?

Have to keep the camera on all of the time.

Thanks Dee.
                  Today is a really good day so far.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by PunchDrummer View Post
                    I just found this.
                    That was very sweet! The song is going to be in my head all day now.
                    Yes, is a nice upbeat tune...

Originally posted by PunchDrummer View Post
                    I'm sitting outside on the couch-swing, Kahula in my coffee, watched your performance, and then watched as a hummingbird inspected my outdoor setup. Just floated there looking at the bag (Rival black with white bottom) for maybe a minute. I couldn't move. Do we really need TV?
                    ...couch-swing, Kaluha, coffee, nature... the sweet life of SoCal...

It was beautiful in Seattle today. It only reached the mid-50's, but it was warm enough for me to do some outdoor projects. I put a fresh coat of paint on the outdoor (steel) drum and I managed to get a few minutes to do some punching...

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...