• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Crazy lil' thing called Baggin'

I'm not one to normally post anothers video, but this is just too excellent to pass up.....

Arnold once said: "...THAT'S what I call posing..." (:29 secs)

Well I can tell ya , "...now THAT'S what I call Punch Drumming".

Unreal.

(Bowing to Sir BT)
    Last edited by Speedbag; 09-24-2009, 07:27 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

He has definitely moved from Saturday Alley up to Sunday Street. Just one fantastic performance.

Comment

• The Baggist
      Vert Baggin' Master
      • May 2009

B.T. taking it to new levels!!!! Awesome!!!

Comment

• Kyle
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Nov 2006

thats amazing!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Darn! Speedbag, you beat me to it!
          I did this last night... and today in my hotel room started to upload.....but.... I didn't have time left and had to abort.... but obviously it finished loading... I didn't know until I saw the youtube comments coming though to my yahoo email....
          So.... thanks guys! It is very nice to see ya'll diggin' it!
          Yesterday, my flight was delayed from Burbank to the point we would have missed the connection to the East Coast. So the flight was re-routed via LAX on the red eye. We got to go home and chill for 5 hours. With an hour let at home, I started checking out songs to bag to. I tried some others but I needed more time to get some cool patterns together. I had "Queen: The Game" in my garage as I had intents on punch drumming to it in the past but never did. I checked out "Another One Bites The Dust" but the patterns needed to be practiced. I knew there was another single on the record..... "Crazy Little Thing" with a nice medium triplet tempo and some cool stops to lock into. Simple enough. I put some quick time into the basics although there is so much more I could have done combo-wise with some more time.... but I wanted a solid take with good stops..... so I didn't "overbag"!!! (haha)
          So there it is.... thanks!
          BAG ON!
          Last edited by spinsmashpop; 09-25-2009, 03:08 AM. Reason: spelling, grammar

Comment

• spinsmashpop
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            Arnold once said: "...THAT'S what I call posing..." (:29 secs)
            Hey Speedbag... how did you know of that quote from Arnold? You pulled that out of thin air! That's pretty impressive. Do you know "Pumping Iron" inside out?

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

Unreal I tells ya...
              sigpic

Comment

• deano
                Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

hey Brian,that was smick and faultless,top stuff,you keep taking the level up
                deano

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                  Hey Speedbag... how did you know of that quote from Arnold? You pulled that out of thin air! That's pretty impressive. Do you know "Pumping Iron" inside out?
                  I really like Pumping Iron and was into body building and weights when it came out. I'm not sure I know it "inside out.." but I have it (and have seen it about 30 times). I watch it when I want "my old days" bodybuilding fix, down in the basement of the Memphis YMCA.

I also keep a list of movie quotes, just waiting for that ONE moment.....
                  Last edited by Speedbag; 10-08-2009, 08:42 PM.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MikeTarheel
                    • Sep 2009

That's Just... Not Fair, Man!!

Comment

• Roc Stone
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Oct 2007

Neat...
                      sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Tim
                        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Jaw dropping. That is fantastic. I can't wait to see this as part of the setup on stage. Maybe in a few more years, I'll get the punch drumming down... I can't hit consistenly enough.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                          Maybe in a few more years, I'll get the punch drumming down... I can't hit consistenly enough.
                          I've seen you bag Tim. I know you can hit consistently! Just stay within your comfort zone. I say this because before my punch drum clips, we all pretty much had Alan Kahn to refer to. And he is exceptional! He does it at very high level. C'mon, he has told us all he would put in 4-5 hours night after night, filming himself punch drumming. Can you imagine that? And it doesn't help that Skunk has 100's of clips up and he is beyond most. We all get used to he and Alan Kahn.
                          I often feel like people will be bored watching my punch drumming if I am not constantly mixing advanced combos all over the place with every angle and never repeating. But really we all have to remember how cool the speed bag looked and sounded to us when we were first exposed to it. The basic punches looked awesome! They still do. So, chill out and get into the groove and just hit basics with the beat. It is also a fun workout/challenge; to bag in time to a cd you dig.

BAGS UP!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                            I've seen you bag Tim. I know you can hit consistently! Just stay within your comfort zone. I say this because before my punch drum clips, we all pretty much had Alan Kahn to refer to. And he is exceptional! He does it at very high level. C'mon, he has told us all he would put in 4-5 hours night after night, filming himself punch drumming. Can you imagine that? And it doesn't help that Skunk has 100's of clips up and he is beyond most. We all get used to he and Alan Kahn.
                            I often feel like people will be bored watching my punch drumming if I am not constantly mixing advanced combos all over the place with every angle and never repeating. But really we all have to remember how cool the speed bag looked and sounded to us when we were first exposed to it. The basic punches looked awesome! They still do. So, chill out and get into the groove and just hit basics with the beat. It is also a fun workout/challenge; to bag in time to a cd you dig.

BAGS UP!

All things in Moderation, SSP. You really can't Punch Drum without repeating certain combinations, because you need the consistent bag beat they create, AND there are only a few ways to create them. You don't Drum this way on stage either. A cymbal crash is a cymbal crash. You add a little flair to it, but the sound is the key, the look of your cymbal hit is secondary. It's got to be ON beat where you want it so the sound syncs. Same on the bag. Fancy, unreal combo's look great but if they are OFF beat or don't match the music, it's wasted fluff. Personally I don't care if someone can throw Under & Over triple shadow elbows, double bumps, or super fast fist rotations - If they are OFF beat the don't help when punch drumming. It's all about the sound. It's not hard to tell if someones "off beat" if you have a bit of rhythm. You can hear it! Unfortunately a lot of the viewing public thinks punching a speed bag fast and furious with music in the background is Punch Drumming.

Funny, but true, story. I got a call in the late 1990's from a guy who said he was going to "sue me because he had copyrighted hitting the speed bag to music."
                            He had a video out a few years earlier called "how to hit the speed bag", (....and no rabbit punches) and was hitting the bag with music in the background. A couple of years later my videos came out and he said I violated his copyright of hitting to music - by hitting to music in the opening and closing. I asked him to go back to his lawyer and check to see what copyrights actually covered, and send me the part that covers your physical ability to do anything. I told him that copyright would cover what he wrote or said about hitting to music (nothing) but not his ability to do it. I actually had bought his video out of a boxing magazine a few years earlier just to see it and make sure I did not violate his copyright. Not much problem there, he only punched from the front and said there were two rebounds between front punches (not three). In fact during the call he told me I was wrong about the number of rebounds between punches. He said the "punch didn't count" - it was a punch, not a rebound. He was adamant that only the unpunched rebounds are "actual rebounds". Punches are punches, not rebounds. I told him I prefer to define a "rebound" as every time the bag hits the board, regardless if it's punched before or not.

He never called back. Neither did his lawyer.
                            Last edited by Speedbag; 10-18-2009, 11:35 PM.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MikeTarheel
                              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                              Funny, but true, story. I got a call in the late 1990's from a guy who said he was going to "sue me because he had copyrighted hitting the speed bag to music."
                              He had a video out a few years earlier called "how to hit the speed bag", (....and no rabbit punches) and was hitting the bag with music in the background. A couple of years later my videos came out and he said I violated his copyright of hitting to music - by hitting to music in the opening and closing. I asked him to go back to his lawyer and check to see what copyrights actually covered, and send me the part that covers your physical ability to do anything. I told him that copyright would cover what he wrote or said about hitting to music (nothing) but not his ability to do it. I actually had bought his video out of a boxing magazine a few years earlier just to see it and make sure I did not violate his copyright. Not much problem there, he only punched from the front and said there were two rebounds between front punches (not three). In fact during the call he told me I was wrong about the number of rebounds between punches. He said the "punch didn't count" - it was a punch, not a rebound. He was adamant that only the unpunched rebounds are "actual rebounds". Punches are punches, not rebounds. I told him I prefer to define a "rebound" as every time the bag hits the board, regardless if it's punched before or not.

He never called back. Neither did his lawyer.
                              That is Hilarious. Did he Warn you he had the patent on Catching Fish and Changing Tires as well?

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...