help with Everlast Platform wall mounting ASAP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • the_contender13
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Apr 2010

How To help with Everlast Platform wall mounting ASAP!!!

hey so i got the 6 piece everlast speed bag set and it does not come with wall mounts. i went to get 4 nails to mount it on the wall. the nails the manuel told me to get was 5/16" x 1" carriage bolts

the problem was that it did not fit all the way through (see pictures), i was wondering if i should use a size smaller, but im afraid that might not be as strong. the dude at the store told me drill the hole bigger in the platform piece which i didnt think was a good idea.

so guys what should i do or if anyone ever had this unit, please tell me what size of nails i should get, if you have pictures that would greatly help, thanks

problem with the nail:
    it goes through until the last part where its not curly lol ...is there same size nail that is curly all the way through? (see pix)
    Attached Files
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Well first thing is those aren't carriage bolts, those are lag screws. Now, what kind of wall are you going to mount to? Is it drywall, plaster, concrete? Each one requires a different approach. Have you looked in the "Gold Mine" section? There is a wealth of information there that might answer your questions now.

Comment

• the_contender13
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Apr 2010

well the idiot at home depot is an idiot

im mounting it on to dry wall but im going to place 2 x 4 wood behind the unit then attach it to the dry wall

Comment

• the_contender13
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Apr 2010

i have treid to look for it but didnt find much help

Comment

• Joe
          • May 2010

Originally posted by the_contender13 View Post
          well the idiot at home depot is an idiot

im mounting it on to dry wall but im going to place 2 x 4 wood behind the unit then attach it to the dry wall
          ...just checking but the way you describe this is giving me visions of a mount peeling off your wall leaving four gaping holes in the drywall. You are planning on securing this into the studs behind the drywall right?? ...I am just sayin' cause that's kinda important in this whole process.

I would go back to the Depot and bring one of those metal mounts. Then size the bolt yourself and pick up a stud finder while you are at it so you hit your mark.

If you already knew this than I apologize if I am coming off overly simplistic. But if your not familiar with this it will cause some unneeded damage and you'll be spending your time taping and mudding rather than baggin.
          sigpic

Comment

• the_contender13
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Apr 2010

thanks for your reply as im really new to this

what are the "studs" behind the drywall? (pictures would be appreciated)

all i was planning to do was nail the platform on to a 2 x 4 then to the drywall thats it....all with 1 nail thru the unit, 2 x 4 wood, and the drywall

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

thanks for your reply as im really new to this

what are the "studs" behind the drywall? (pictures would be appreciated)

all i was planning to do was nail the platform on to a 2 x 4 then to the drywall thats it....all with 1 nail thru the unit, 2 x 4 wood, and the drywall
              Is this a house? in the US? More likely than not , there are studs every 16" behind the drywall. Conveniently the mounting holes on the platform are probably 16" apart. Find the studs by knocking on the wall. Where it doesn't sound hollow is likely where they are. They also sell a "stud finder" electronic device at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Drill a pilot hole for each lag screw and mount the platform.
              Attached Files

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

If this is all new to you, it might be a good idea to have a friend look at the instructions and help you out. It is so important that the platform is mounted correctly or speed bagging won't be fun or safe.

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

hey so i got the 6 piece everlast speed bag set and it does not come with wall mounts. i went to get 4 nails to mount it on the wall. the nails the manuel told me to get was 5/16" x 1" carriage bolts

the problem was that it did not fit all the way through (see pictures), i was wondering if i should use a size smaller, but im afraid that might not be as strong. the dude at the store told me drill the hole bigger in the platform piece which i didnt think was a good idea.

so guys what should i do or if anyone ever had this unit, please tell me what size of nails i should get, if you have pictures that would greatly help, thanks

problem with the nail:
                  it goes through until the last part where its not curly lol ...is there same size nail that is curly all the way through? (see pix)
                  HI Contender,

Unless I'm mistaken, your 6 piece wall unit should be almost exactly like this

That's 2 vertical wall mounts, 2 U-shaped attachment frames, One board and one swivel.

First, the vertical wall mounts go up and down vertical on the wall. The pictures on the link show several types of extra wood wall framing, (top = 3 horizontal and bottom = 2 vertical) that can be used, or the vertical metal frames can go directly on the dry wall. The secret is these really need to be directly on, and attached to, studs in the wall. These wall studs should be on 16 inch centers, which is what this unit is designed to be attached on. (The holes in the board for the U-Frame attachments are all set for 16 inch centers - see Tim's picture of wall framing )

The long lag screws shown will go through the vertical wall mounts (framing wood if used), dry wall and into the wooden studs at least 2 inches or a bit more. This means your lag bolts may need to be 3-4 inches long to go the full distance. Each Vertical mount requires three of these, so you will need six lag bolts to hang the vertical mounts. Any wooden framing should also be mounted separately before hanging the vertical mounts. I normally put long wood screws though this wooden framing near the top or bottom of the wood, leaving the center of the board for the vertical bracket lag screw.

Once the vertical metal slotted mounts are up you can hang the U-bar shaped brackets a couple of ways, but I always attach them to the board first. The first thing I do here (just IMO) is attach the swivel I'm going to use, so I drill the swivel starter holes in the wood all the way through and use bolts, usually #10 or 1/4 x length of extra wood added, topped with washers and small wing nuts to hold swivel on.

Then attach the U-bars to the board. Since I add a bit of plywood over the board I need to get longer bolts than those supplied, (usually carriage bolts) so I go get them first.

After the two U-brackets are attached these are attached to the slotted iron of the vertical brackets with the 5/16x1 carriage bolts. note that the holes in the end of the U-Brackets that attach to the vertical slot have a squared shape. This will allow the squared base of the carriage bolt to lock into it as it goes through the vertical bracket slot. You will need to tighten these carriage bolts in the vertical slot to hold the board on the vertical mounts. What I do first is Put all four bolts through with just a few turns on the nut so all are attached to the vertical mounts but loose enough to move up and down. I normally put an 8x5 bag on the swivel, (blown up) and raise the board and bag up until the belly is at my mouth. Then holding the board up with my forearm, I tight one side carriage bolt at the bottom pretty tight so it won't move. This is my base bottom setting.

Having the board level (even) at any height is important so what I do when I adjust a board like this is put a short level on top of the board and raise up the other NON-tightened U-bracket until the bubble is level, then tighten the other bottom carriage bolt. I normally use wing nut tighteners for easy manuevering. One you bottom carriage bolts are tight make sure your board is level or adjust as needed. Once it is level go ahead and tighten your top carriage bolts in the U-brackets. Make sure ALL are tight, then add your sand bags or what ever over the top (if you use them).
                  Now you should be good to go. If your wood framing and vertical mounts are screwed into the studs, you should have a very stable wall punching platform.

Hope this helps.
                  Last edited by Speedbag; 08-27-2010, 12:29 AM.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

problem with the nail:
                    Hey, contender13, Speed Bag Trainee
                    help with Everlast Platform wall mounting ASAP!!!

Sounds like you are in a hurry to get bagging but don't rush the most important thing. Getting it mounted safely and functional. Seeing your use of terminology (I've never heard of threads being called curly, lol) it is obvious you are new to working with hardware. Please get someone to help in planning and hanging your board so you will be bagging safely. Alan gives you good instructions but without hands on experience it can still go bad. I understand that not everyone has the same skills, I grew up doing farm mechanics then was an Audio Visual technician in the USAF for 24 years where I was also a Safety NCO. Since then I've worked in companies where we hang TVs, Plasma Monitors and Video Projectors. I don't mean to preach but I'm sure we all want you to have a good experience bagging. Please keep us posted.

Comment

• jumpcannon
                      Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

there sould be no use of nails whatsoever!
                      evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

And yes, you have to find the studs.....

And you came to the right place!!!!!

We are all speed bag studs!!!!!!

Thank you!

BAG ON, DON'T DRAG ON.....
                        IF U AIN'T BAGGIN', U'R LAGGIN'....
                        IF YOU'RE BAGGIN', YOUR TAIL IS WAGGIN'.....
                        IF U AIN'T BAGGIN', YOUR CHEEKS ARE SAGGIN'......

Comment

• Dutchman
                          Speed Bag Historian
                          • Jun 2006

Rimshot.................

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                            Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Funny

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                            And yes, you have to find the studs.....

And you came to the right place!!!!!

We are all speed bag studs!!!!!!

Thank you!

BAG ON, DON'T DRAG ON.....
                            IF U AIN'T BAGGIN', U'R LAGGIN'....
                            IF YOU'RE BAGGIN', YOUR TAIL IS WAGGIN'.....
                            IF U AIN'T BAGGIN', YOUR CHEEKS ARE SAGGIN'......
                            Spin, U R cracking me up!

Comment

• Tim
                              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

i have treid to look for it but didnt find much help
                              Did you get this figured out ???

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...