• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PIEFURZ
    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Originally posted by Mrs Mitts View Post
    Welcome to the forum unreal. It's good to ask these questions when starting out because it can save you some cash in the long run! I would have bought a freestanding unit when I first started out but decided against it because the general opinion here is that if you're able to put a wall unit up, it's gonna be the more stable option.

The hydrostrike platform by Everlast was reviewed by Piefurz here:

It sounds like you've made a good choice going for the Everlast Elite adjustable. Let us know how you get on with it.
    Mrs Mitts, thanks for pointing out my review to Unreal.

Unreal, welcome to the forum, please read the complete thread on the hydroboard. I kept mine and someday will replace the plastic drum with a solid piece of wood. I salvaged a solid wood table top that should word nicely. Take a look at Sparrky37 latest post from St Louis speedbag convention for video of the Everlast board and a home made one in use.

Comment

• PIEFURZ
      Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
      Hi Unreal,
      Welcome and I'm glad you found your way to a great forum.

So, concerning your limited funds. I'm wondering if you're handy at all? If you have basic construction skills, you could go the route of buying a 24- or 30-inch round wood tabletop from Home Depot, and appropriate hardware, and swivel. If you search the forum, you should be able to check out some home-made setups.

Or, better yet, you'll get lucky and get a good one from Craigslist. Paranday seems to be very proficient at locating and posting various "good deals" here on the forum. As for what kind, I'm no expert, but, in my opinion, the harder/thicker the platform, the better off you are.
      Unreal, Piefurz again. Hope you are getting some good ideas from the forum. Unfortunately Home Depot in my area discontinued the table top. If they were smart they would add a speed bag department in their stores. Although they do have workshops for building things so you may ask them to help design and build a stand and platform. You can purchase swivels separately, Everlast U bolt good for speed and front and back punching, ball swivels good for punching any direction and learning control. Your best investment is time reviewing this forum and Alan's Speedbag Central web site, DVDs and Speedbag Bible (click the banner at top of page).

Comment

• Unreal
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jan 2011

Hey Piefurz,

Thanks for the review as well, I immediately read the whole thread and realized that it wasn't worth it. I am a beginner but for an additional $20 bucks I decided to get the Everlast Elite adjustable... Its ETA is tuesday and I can't wait to suck on it. (LOL at the proof read ... sounds so... you know. But you get my point.)

The create your own idea is great, and will give me a good project to do once I'm not so busy. I will keep it in mind to look for table tops (24") next time I'm in Lowes and Home Depot.

Yea the Swivel should be fine for me until I get into it more, and start developing a rhythm. I personally can't see myself struggling for long but am prepared to put in time to see results. You can only get out what you put in!

See, I've already ordered and I'm still sticking around :P haha

P.S. I plan on purchasing the Speed Bag Bible as well, but that won't be for probably a couple weeks.
        Last edited by Unreal; 01-15-2011, 09:35 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Unreal View Post
          Hey Piefurz,

Thanks for the review as well, I immediately read the whole thread and realized that it wasn't worth it. I am a beginner but for an additional $20 bucks I decided to get the Everlast Elite adjustable... Its ETA is tuesday and I can't wait to suck on it. (LOL at the proof read ... sounds so... you know. But you get my point.)

The create your own idea is great, and will give me a good project to do once I'm not so busy. I will keep it in mind to look for table tops (24") next time I'm in Lowes and Home Depot.

Yea the Swivel should be fine for me until I get into it more, and start developing a rhythm. I personally can't see myself struggling for long but am prepared to put in time to see results. You can only get out what you put in!

See, I've already ordered and I'm still sticking around :P haha

P.S. I plan on purchasing the Speed Bag Bible as well, but that won't be for probably a couple weeks.

I know the author/publisher pretty well and he is pretty lenient on forum members who might be "in a pinch" for funds or other issues that cause delay. I suggest you send him a PM and it's possible you might get it faster than you anticipated.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Unreal
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

I know the author/publisher pretty well and he is pretty lenient on forum members who might be "in a pinch" for funds or other issues that cause delay. I suggest you send him a PM and it's possible you might get it faster than you anticipated.

hahah will do. Get paid again in a few days I'll see what i got to work with :P

Also thanks for the offer
            Last edited by Unreal; 01-15-2011, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Biff
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Welcome unreal. Sorry I'm late. You won't find a better ambassador of the speed bag than AK. He'll always go the extra mile for a bagger. Good luck in your speed bagging journey.

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

Unreal, take Alan up on his offer for the Bible, he won't keep you hanging except for the bag of course, he'll leave you hanging that yourself. LOL. What did you end up paying for the board?

Comment

• Unreal
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by PIEFURZ View Post
                  Unreal, take Alan up on his offer for the Bible, he won't keep you hanging except for the bag of course, he'll leave you hanging that yourself. LOL. What did you end up paying for the board?
                  I ended up paying $87 after shipping from Amazon. I'm fairly certain it doesn't come with a bag but my local Big 5 has some. Platform is due to be here on Tuesday!

I am currently flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat broke and being only 18 years old making minimum wage on a part time job while needing to save up money I don't have too much money laying around... but then again who does? I'm purchasing this because I plan on it being a great workout, hobby, and routine I get into and spend time doing. Having to pay for insurance next month is going to kill me!

But I will have money in a few days and will decide whether I want to purchase it. The reviews have been phenomenal (not just here) so I imagine I probably will go that route. <--- Speedbag Bible

Thanks for all your help, insight, and kindness and making me feel welcome here. I haven't experienced a forum with such ... professionals? hahaha Its a breath of fresh air from the usual know-it-alls but are actually have-no-experience on the sports forums I frequent.

Once again, thanks!
                  Last edited by Unreal; 01-15-2011, 11:28 PM.

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Unreal, if you don't get the bible right away, check out Speedbagcentral.com. Alan has provided a wealth of information there to get you started. On speed bags you will probably find locally they most likely will be Everlast training bags, Ta or Te. Most people are having problems with them. I suggest checking on line for sales, Title recently had some. On what to buy, check the threads for ideas. Something in the 9" tall x 6" wide is mid range between harder hitting cardio workout and fast requiring more control. You can get by bare fisted but if you get carried away I suggest Title hand wraps. They aren't too long and have elastic that keeps them snug and in place. Good luck, you shouldn't have to spend any more for a while. Good speed baggers develop their preferences but can punch anything so don't get discouraged.

Comment

• Unreal
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jan 2011

New question: How to mount the Elite adjustable?

What extra supplies do i need? I have the tools but in terms of lag bolts and what not what is recommended?

Thanks!

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                        Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Originally posted by Unreal View Post
                        New question: How to mount the Elite adjustable?

What extra supplies do i need? I have the tools but in terms of lag bolts and what not what is recommended?

Thanks!
                        Depends mostly on the wall construction. The thing comes with two boards that you secure to the wall. They have holes for 16" center studs. If you have wood studs at 16" then lag bolts with flat and lock washers would work. If metal studs, I'd probably put up a piece of 5/8" at least, plywood spanned over the studs with drywall screws then lag bolts into the plywood, trying to miss the studs. Metal studs don't provide much for threads to bight into so more drywall screws holds the plywood and then 4 lags into a thick plywood should hold. Cinder block or concrete calls for masonry inserts which use similar to lag bolts so add flat and lock washers. Talk to your friendly neighborhood hardware person. Take your time, get it solid, then happy baggin. PS. If wooden studs don't fall at 16" or where you want to mount then go with the plywood idea. You may want to use a couple of 1x4 vs. plywood. We use plywood at work to reinforce walls to hang flat screen monitors so that's what I'm used to. Whatever you choose, make sure to span enough studs to cover the width of the mount.
                        Last edited by PIEFURZ; 01-19-2011, 11:34 PM.

Comment

• Unreal
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by PIEFURZ View Post
                          Depends mostly on the wall construction. The thing comes with two boards that you secure to the wall. They have holes for 16" center studs. If you have wood studs at 16" then lag bolts with flat and lock washers would work. If metal studs, I'd probably put up a piece of 5/8" at least, plywood spanned over the studs with drywall screws then lag bolts into the plywood, trying to miss the studs. Metal studs don't provide much for threads to bight into so more drywall screws holds the plywood and then 4 lags into a thick plywood should hold. Cinder block or concrete calls for masonry inserts which use similar to lag bolts so add flat and lock washers. Talk to your friendly neighborhood hardware person. Take your time, get it solid, then happy baggin. PS. If wooden studs don't fall at 16" or where you want to mount then go with the plywood idea. You may want to use a couple of 1x4 vs. plywood. We use plywood at work to reinforce walls to hang flat screen monitors so that's what I'm used to. Whatever you choose, make sure to span enough studs to cover the width of the mount.
                          I figured it out haha... I'm sure this will help someone though!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...