• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aqualab
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2011

Balazs platform question

Hi,

I just purchased a Balazs non-adjust pro platform and when assembling the swivel to the drum the wood screws provided don't really grab the wood. Can't tighten down on the screws, they just spin, so the swivel isn't secure. It seems the holes they drilled in the drum are too large or the wood screws they provide are too small. Anybody else come across this problem? Not a big deal, I'll just get larger screws but after what I paid for this setup I'm a little annoyed about having this issue. I emailed them to ask why also.

Another thing is the swivel packaged with the platform - It's an Everlast pro swivel that uses a cotter pin to keep the pin that goes through the bag's loop in place - a cotter pin! The assembly instructions that came with the platform describes a swivel that uses a chain link retaining clip. I bought the platform from Robbins Sports online - is it possible they switched out the Balazs swivel? Funny thing is, any photos of the Balazs platform doesn't show the swivel!

Thanks,
    Bill

P.S. excited - just ordered a powermill from Ryan - I'm on the waiting list. So swivel issue above doesn't really matter now.
    Last edited by Aqualab; 07-31-2011, 04:27 PM.
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ventanakaz
    i would just drill the holes all the way through, Go to the hardware store and get longer screws and some bolts. thats how i have mine and i have four boards glued together thats around 3 3/4 " thick...ralph
    I agree and did the same thing...BUT, I suggest wingnuts, that way you can swap-out swivels quick and easy.

Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Aqualab
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jul 2011

Good idea - I will install that way too.

I found my Everlast swivel from around 35+ years ago that was on a Wilson brand steel ring platform - the swivel is pretty rusted. That was a decent platform if I remeber, could only knock med to large bags though. And with it was another Everlast swivel, chain link style with bearings, not sure when I bought that, maybe late 70's. Still in good shape just needs some oil worked into it.

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

Aqua, look at this thread, it tells you everything you need to know about your situation with the Balazs. http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...?t=2298&page=2

There is also a pdf template you can print out to modify the Balazs drum. It is in the same thread. PM me if you have any questions, but it is fairly simple.
        Last edited by aad03; 07-31-2011, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• Aqualab
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jul 2011

Thanks for the link aad03. I heard back from Brian at Balazs last night (Sunday) and he explained that for some reason the new pro swivel was packaged with the older screws that went with the bike chain link swivel that used to come with the platform. So I guess the drum's screw holes have also been modified to a larger diameter. Anyway, he said the correct sized sscrews were going out today. Great customer service.

I will try the correct wood screws first to see how they secure the swivel for the time being. When the powermill swivel I ordered arrives I'll move to modify the swivel attachment per your thread. I'm wondering if I can though because I think the I-Box frame is tubular with plastic endcaps while the stationary pro has welded steel endcaps?

Thanks Again,
          Bill

Comment

• aad03

• Jan 2010

I didn't realize the frame actually had the end caps welded. That sorta throws a wrench in those instructions. If you didn't plan on changing the swivel much after you get the Powermill on, you could drill up into the steel, and have a machine screw thread into the steel. But after doing that a few times it may strip the threaded hole. Sounds like you've got it figured out anyway.

Comment

• Johnny O
              • Apr 2011

Great solution

aad03

I didn't see your original post but I am glad I saw this one. I have a Balazs platform and considered drilling through the metal but was a little unsure where the holes would end up. Thanks for your detailed instructions, photos, template... You are the man!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...