• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jedd Johnson
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2006

Shout Outs and Bag Striking Variations

Hey there everyone. My name is Jedd. I used to be more active here several years back.

I had a home-made platform installed in my basement and would hit often. However, we added a bathroom downstairs and the bag had to go.

That was like 2008 or 09. Fast forward to 2013 and I got a Balasz platform on the suggestion of Alan Kahn and it is now hung up in my garage gym and I love it.

I put together a few videos recently hitting on the bag. I'm rusty, but surprised with the degree with which I retained my skills.

I gave some shout-outs to Alan Kahn and Zach Ruffo, because their instruction helped me so greatly when I started out. I also showed a few variations that I have tried in my training from time to time. If you are looking for something a little different, try them out.

Everything is right here: http://www.dieselcrew.com/hitting-th...-again-finally

All the best everybody. Glad to be bagging again.

Jedd Johnson
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Glad to see you back at it! I don't really understand the 'hammer' thing? Please do yourself a favor and get a ball-hook swivel, it will make all the difference in the world.

Bag On!
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• PunchDrummer
      • Jan 2012

Looking forward to brass knuckles and then a Tomahawk stunt. How 'bout some headbuts with one of those pointed Russian helmets. lol
      Entertaining. Welcome back.

Comment

• Jedd Johnson
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
        Glad to see you back at it! I don't really understand the 'hammer' thing? Please do yourself a favor and get a ball-hook swivel, it will make all the difference in the world.

Bag On!
        I train for Grip Strength - I compete in Grip Sport competitions, so I need good hand and wrist strength. Hitting with the hammer works the wrists.

I am just using the swivel that came with this platform right now. I had a ball swivel on my old one. Loved it, believe me. I will have to swap!

Thanks.

Jedd

Comment

• Jedd Johnson
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by PunchDrummer View Post
          Looking forward to brass knuckles and then a Tomahawk stunt. How 'bout some headbuts with one of those pointed Russian helmets. lol
          Entertaining. Welcome back.
          If I wear anything pointed, it is going to be Iron Sheik boots!

I have seen Zach head butting before. I will have to try to work that in.

Jedd

Comment

• Biff
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Hey Jedd Johnson of the DieselCrew. Welcome back. We're almost neighbors!

Comment

• Jedd Johnson
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Biff View Post
              Hey Jedd Johnson of the DieselCrew. Welcome back. We're almost neighbors!
              Very cool, I sent you a PM.

Comment

• metaldad
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2007

Hey Jedd. I checked out a couple of your youtube videos and wanna try the balls you were using on the speedbag. I'm a bit limited on resources presently but I'm sure i could imorovise something. I also have been working on grip & forearm strength. Not at the same level as you but I am working it. Wristroller, leverage bar and a Heavy Grips 200. I used to have 150-300 but had to sell them for extra cash. Now I work with what I have. Got 2 5 gallon water jugs for farmer's walks up and down the driveway. All i gotta do is fill 'em....did i mention a penchant for procrastination?
                sigpic

Comment

• newbagger
                  • May 2010

Hi Jedd. You got my attention when you mentioned tennis elbow (Lateral epicondylitis). I currently have it, brought on playing racquetball Jan. 1st. I will wait a couple more weeks before I pick up my racquet, but I notice I can hit the speed bag, for short periods, without pain. I know from past episodes that it's a long heal, but do you (and anyone else) think that speed bagging can contribute to healing? Thanks for any input. Steve

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by newbagger View Post
                    Hi Jedd. You got my attention when you mentioned tennis elbow (Lateral epicondylitis). I currently have it, brought on playing racquetball Jan. 1st. I will wait a couple more weeks before I pick up my racquet, but I notice I can hit the speed bag, for short periods, without pain. I know from past episodes that it's a long heal, but do you (and anyone else) think that speed bagging can contribute to healing? Thanks for any input. Steve
                    short answer is no, speed bagging will probably aggravate Tennis elbow, since making a fist is very similiar to grasping a tennis or racquetball racquet.

I played racquetball for many years and had a few bouts of lateral epicondylitis. All punching activities (making a fist) including speed bag had to be curtailed for awhile. This may depend on how severe your bout of it is, but there is no painful elbow condition that a repetitive speed bag punching can't make worse. IMO, Let it heal first rather than make it a chronic condition.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
                      • Apr 2012

Call sign; Speed Bag "Jedi"
                      Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.

Comment

• newbagger
                        • May 2010

Thank you, AK. I was hoping you would reply, as I hold your opinions in the highest regard.

Comment

• Speedbag
                          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Thank you, AK. I was hoping you would reply, as I hold your opinions in the highest regard.
                          Thanks. How I've longed to hear my wife say that...

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                          The Quest Continues...
                          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• newbagger
                            • May 2010

Hah! Ain't it so.

Comment

• Jedd Johnson
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Oct 2006

Steve,

I am sorry that it took me this long to respond. I have been a busy cat.

Yes, I had a bout of serious high forearm pain in 2007 or 2008 I believe and the only thing that finally helped me in that one case was the speed bag.

The last thing I want to do is contradict anything Alan says, but I believe it was just the increased blood flow to the area that helped it. At that time, I was practicing the speed bag for up to 40 minutes per session to try to master more advanced techniques and my forearm just seemed to feel better when I was hitting. Two or three times a week of about 40 minute of soothing circulation into the high forearm area for a few weeks in a row and my Tennis elbow was gone.

I always have better results getting rid of that kind of pain with very light resistance and high volume work that flushes the area with blood. Speed bag work matches this criteria. I actually put together a guide to get rid of tennis elbow and golfer's elbow with a friend in the fitness community and my half of the product is based almost completely on this concept of increased blood flow. You can check it out on the side bar of my site.

I hope this helps. TE sucks! I have had it at least 8 times between both the arms, but I have not gotten it in well over 2 years now due to the practice of regular blood flushes into the area.

Jedd

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...