• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • loyalwhite
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2007

Help getting started

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can give me some help getting started with my speedbag. I just bought one, I have never used one before but I used to be a drummer and have a good sense of rhythm so the speedbag appealed to me as a way of working out.

However, I can't get to first base. This is the kit I bought:

I've watched the video clips on this site and tried to make a start, but it's just not happening.

In the "basic rhythm" video clip, it looks as though even a fairly gentle strike results in five hits on the board. With mine, if I smash the bag with all my strength, I can just about get the bag to strike three times, and only just. This of course makes getting the triplet rhythm difficult.

What am I doing wrong? Could it be the quality of my swivel? It seems very noisy - much noisier than in the videos on this site and others I have watched on You Tube. The noise of the parts of the swivel knocking together is far louder than the noise of the bag on the board, another factor which makes getting the rhythm difficult.

Also, how tightly should I inflate the bag? The kit came with no instruction on this at all. Up to now I've been guessing, but this could be where I'm going wrong.

Any advice just to get me to first base would be much appreciated. I'm sure once I can do that I'll be off and running.
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by loyalwhite View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can give me some help getting started with my speedbag. I just bought one, I have never used one before but I used to be a drummer and have a good sense of rhythm so the speedbag appealed to me as a way of working out.

However, I can't get to first base. This is the kit I bought:

I've watched the video clips on this site and tried to make a start, but it's just not happening.

In the "basic rhythm" video clip, it looks as though even a fairly gentle strike results in five hits on the board. With mine, if I smash the bag with all my strength, I can just about get the bag to strike three times, and only just. This of course makes getting the triplet rhythm difficult.

What am I doing wrong? Could it be the quality of my swivel? It seems very noisy - much noisier than in the videos on this site and others I have watched on You Tube. The noise of the parts of the swivel knocking together is far louder than the noise of the bag on the board, another factor which makes getting the rhythm difficult.

Also, how tightly should I inflate the bag? The kit came with no instruction on this at all. Up to now I've been guessing, but this could be where I'm going wrong.

Any advice just to get me to first base would be much appreciated. I'm sure once I can do that I'll be off and running.
    Hi. First try putting a little WD-40 or other lubricant on the swivel to cut down on the noise and add some smoothness, next, inflate the bag to its maximum then let some of the air out, just enough so that when you palm it and squeeze there's just enough give in the bag but still some firmness. Is your platform installation solid? If it vibrates too much, make sure it's attached firmly and put a couple of sandbags on top of it to cut down on the vibration. I hope this is helpful. Alan Kahn, and many of the other members of the forum can get far more technical than me about your problem but I do hope I was able to give you something to work with
    sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hi Loyalwhite and welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't too fast to blame myself for the lack of action or rebound in your unit. I have received a number of emails and questions about that very same unit . Others have told me that bag is of questionable shape and quality (I haven't hit that specific myself, but they can't all be liars..) and I have yet to find a single vertical pole speed bag unit, wall or freestanding, that can hold still without strapping or bracking. And that board looks to be very light weight - and most like also gives to a hard punch.
      I would suspect your equipment is at least as much of a hinderance as you are. At this point, I doubt it is really a specific swivel problem, because even the best swivel will fail on a shaky unit or lousy bag. If a fairly strong guy can't get 5 rebounds out of that unit, I really suspect the unit. Oddly, this site doesn't sell swivels or speed bags individually, only packaged fitness sets (grouped more for profit line more than quality, I imagine)

Try a few of these links:
      Speed Bag tips: inflation. Just be sure to pump out all the creases in the leather, until it's smooth, than add a few more. Your thumbs should be able to squeeze the sides of the bag and feel it give a little. When you punch, you should the bag give a bit on your knuckles (harder to tell this with gloves on). If it gives too much it usually sounds flat and bounces poorly. If it doesn't give, its probably to hard, particular for a newbie.

Beginner Tips

You might try a sand bag (25-30 pounds) over the top of the board to hold it steady. I'd also recommend you try another brand bag but being in Britain (?) I can't really recommend any European source. You might go to a few boxing locations or other gyms and try hitting on another speed bag unit. If their bag goes faster and easier, you can bet it's your setup. I would do that before going off on an equipment buying binge.

hope this helps, and Good luck.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• loyalwhite
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Oct 2007

Thanks guys, I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

I'n happy to replace the swivel and bag as this can be done at relatively low cost. As for the frame, I guess I'm stuck with it. Perhaps I'll try building a couple of stansions to attach to a ceiling beam for a bit of additional stability.

I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers

loyalwhite

Comment

• metaldad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2007

Cool! Glad to help, keep us posted on how it goes
          sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...