X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RockSteadyBoxer
    • Nov 2018

Vintage platform on eBay

Just saw this on eBay. Looks like a really cool old platform. I don't know much about these old platforms. Anybody have a feel for if the price is close to reality or how rare / awesome these platforms are?

• Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by RockSteadyBoxer View Post
    Just saw this on eBay. Looks like a really cool old platform. I don't know much about these old platforms. Anybody have a feel for if the price is close to reality or how rare / awesome these platforms are?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Punching-Ba...MAAOSwUYpc1zuL
    That's a lot of money from only 3 pictures of the product. I imagine there are a lot of pieces in this beast and I'd personally want to see more of them. Sure, it's probably a speed bag historical treasure, but really old junk is still junk if it can't be restored.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• RockSteadyBoxer
      • Nov 2018

Thanks ... there are a dozen or so pictures, but I have to agree, for that money, I would like more details! I am not seriously interested in spending anything near asking price. If it were closer than 5-6 hour drive, I might consider visiting it in person.

It is only an hour or so from my brother. Maybe it's time for a brother's weekend?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by RockSteadyBoxer View Post
        Thanks ... there are a dozen or so pictures, but I have to agree, for that money, I would like more details! I am not seriously interested in spending anything near asking price. If it were closer than 5-6 hour drive, I might consider visiting it in person.

It is only an hour or so from my brother. Maybe it's time for a brother's weekend?

Ha. I didn't notice the arrow to the right showing all the others... (idiot me.) However, it looks like the board(s) have been modified? I don't ever remember seeing an original unit like this have 3 or 4 stacked boards of various widths. Looks like some of that is "jury rigged" to me. probably for more stability.

Absolutely....

He may be open to negotiate a better "cash in hand" price.
        Last edited by Speedbag; 05-23-2019, 11:16 PM.
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

This appears to be a Spalding striking bag ring, it predates the Non Pereil style ones. Someone has added the plywood discs in order to use smaller bags. The Nicols reference concerns the base of the apparently missing swivel and not the platform itself
          Last edited by Dutchman; 05-24-2019, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

Page 62 of the 1917 Spalding catalogue https://archive.org/details/spalding...0agsp/page/n61

Comment

• RockSteadyBoxer
              • Nov 2018

Thanks, Dutchman! Looks like you nailed it ... I really appreciate the information.

How rare is something like this?

Comment

• rdshackleford
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Oct 2016

I'll bet you a nickle that nobody will buy or make any reasonable offer on that platform. They are asking an extraordinary amount, local pickup only in the middle of Wisconsin. Dream on.
                @ArcSwivel
                #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
                  Speed Bag Historian
                  • Jun 2006

While not overly rare, we've seen several examples of this style platform surface over the years. In it's original configuration it can only handle large bags, ones that are no longer generally available. The version with the solid drum, like ZaZa's is much more common

Comment

• RockSteadyBoxer
                    • Nov 2018

Thanks ... I really enjoy learning about the old equipment.

Comment

• Zaza
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2011

I have two of them now...it is the Spalding!
                      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• paranday
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                        A Spalding be good, two Spaldings even better, did you ever get a Narragansett ?

Comment

• JoMan
                          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                          You have two of this type of Spalding platforms? It'd be nice to see pics and hear what backstory history you know of them. Just as RockSteadyBoxer commented earlier, I also enjoy learning about old equipment.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

!

Originally posted by JoMan View Post
                            You have two of this type of Spalding platforms? It'd be nice to see pics and hear what backstory history you know of them. Just as RockSteadyBoxer commented earlier, I also enjoy learning about old equipment.
                            Not sure (only ZAZA knows...) but this might be them...

ps: ZaZa IS an awesome bagmaster. His progression has been phenomenal

Found this 1930's-1940's(?) speed bag platform on the local Craigslist and it was calling out to me to be restored. So, here it is in all it's restored glory...

Really liking this rope swivel....all you hear is the bag! Just a quick iPad video so you can see how it works. I used clothes line rope and so far, so good.

Hitting the Nichols swivel (1900's) on the vintage platform, a match made in heaven!Remember to thank your mother for all she's done....Special thanks to Mr....

Typical practice on a nice summer day.(Fighting Sports, Title Classic, Ringside NOS & Title Atomic)07/05/2012

AND THIS IS MY FAVORITE, Because nobody on planet earth, or speed bag has done this before or since....Banjo Baggin' at the same time!

An experimental film from ZazaCast Films. Be sure to check out "Art of the Bag - a speed bag story" www.artofthebag.com/buy-now

(Punch Drumming to Bluegrass is one of my very favorites things, however the owners of the music and youtube keep stripping the sound tracks. I had a lot of them up in the past, but took them down.;

Bag Master Ataraxis at ZaZa's

Incredible punchdrumming music video from the film "Art of the Bag". Watch Matthew Santiago punching to 'Planet Trance', a tune by BeepCode (used with permis...

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Apr 2011

Here's the other one....
                              Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...