• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unreal
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2011

... Help?

I'm new to speed bagging, and to these forums!! I look forward to becoming a contributing member in the future, but onto my reasons for posting:

What is a good beginning platform? I'm interested in the "best bang for the buck" type model while hoping to find a platform that will last me awhile ( not outgrow it too quickly ). T

he only speed bag platform I've found around my area is the Everlast Hydrostrike Water Speed Bag Platform seen here: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:0&tx=56&ty=48 for $70

Is this a good platform to start with? How are the vibrations? The Bounce? Would I be better off throwing out a little more dough and getting a good platform? I am fairly confident that this won't be an exercise given up on quickly as I am determined to get into it.

Thanks for all suggestions and comments! Also I apologize for making my first post an about me thing, and also sorry if this is the wrong section I wasn't sure whether this or reviews would be more acceptable.
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Where do you live?

Comment

• Unreal
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jan 2011

Northern California, obviously i can purchase item form the interwebs! Yuba City California to be more specific!

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Unreal View Post
        I'm new to speed bagging, and to these forums!! I look forward to becoming a contributing member in the future, but onto my reasons for posting:

What is a good beginning platform? I'm interested in the "best bang for the buck" type model while hoping to find a platform that will last me awhile ( not outgrow it too quickly ). T

he only speed bag platform I've found around my area is the Everlast Hydrostrike Water Speed Bag Platform seen here: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:0&tx=56&ty=48 for $70

Is this a good platform to start with? How are the vibrations? The Bounce? Would I be better off throwing out a little more dough and getting a good platform? I am fairly confident that this won't be an exercise given up on quickly as I am determined to get into it.

Thanks for all suggestions and comments! Also I apologize for making my first post an about me thing, and also sorry if this is the wrong section I wasn't sure whether this or reviews would be more acceptable.

Hi Unreal and welcome to the forum. You'll find very few here have any experience with that hydroboard, and most of us wouldn't waste our time on it. You'll need more support. This is a very inexpensive wall unit that will hold up very well if hung properly and a 30-50lb sandbag on top. I don't know what your price range is but this is a great unit that most of us would swear by.
        Hope this helps. Good luck with your equipment choice.
        Last edited by Speedbag; 01-14-2011, 05:19 PM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Unreal
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          Hi Unreal and welcome to the forum.
          Thank you and Hi

Hm ... I got $150 in pocket and thats pretty much all I got to spend due to other things I need to get to.

The inexpensive unit seems to be my sort of thing, but if adding weight helps stabilize it, maybe it would also work on the hydro unit? I would like the adjustable unit but simply don't have the money to put into that + a speed bag.

I have found some highly affordable stands such as this one on craigslist: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:6,s:0 But reviews of that model are not very encouraging. Would added weight help in that situation as well?

I am sorry for being so .. curious? Anyways if all I get are these replies then I would be happy because you have helped greatly, thanks

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Hi Unreal,
            Welcome and I'm glad you found your way to a great forum.

So, concerning your limited funds. I'm wondering if you're handy at all? If you have basic construction skills, you could go the route of buying a 24- or 30-inch round wood tabletop from Home Depot, and appropriate hardware, and swivel. If you search the forum, you should be able to check out some home-made setups.

Or, better yet, you'll get lucky and get a good one from Craigslist. Paranday seems to be very proficient at locating and posting various "good deals" here on the forum. As for what kind, I'm no expert, but, in my opinion, the harder/thicker the platform, the better off you are.
            sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
            I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Unreal
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jan 2011

Thanks for the suggestion of making one, and if I wasn't so inexperience I would give it a shot. But I've decided I'll shell out some cash and get the Elite adjustable one.

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Unreal View Post
                Thanks for the suggestion of making one, and if I wasn't so inexperience I would give it a shot. But I've decided I'll shell out some cash and get the Elite adjustable one.
                good luck and Bag On

Comment

• Unreal
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by toolboxdiver View Post
                  good luck and Bag On
                  Will do!

Comment

• StevieMac
                    • Oct 2010

Weclome to the forum!

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Feb 2010

Welcome to the forum unreal. It's good to ask these questions when starting out because it can save you some cash in the long run! I would have bought a freestanding unit when I first started out but decided against it because the general opinion here is that if you're able to put a wall unit up, it's gonna be the more stable option.

The hydrostrike platform by Everlast was reviewed by Piefurz here:

It sounds like you've made a good choice going for the Everlast Elite adjustable. Let us know how you get on with it.

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Aug 2010

I agree with AK on the best board for the buck

Welcome to the forum unreal! I agree with AK on this everlast http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/fa...egoryId=694496.

The price is a bit lower to help with the budget and the shipping is free.

Below is the store locations closest to your neck of the woods and I bought mine from the store near me for $99. If you call they might be able to let you know the in-store price and if they have any in stock.

I use this board most of the time even though I also have the valor CA-2 http://www.total-trainer.com/valor-f...2ca0021bm-1327. This board is too close to the adjusting wheel and hinders rear bag strikes. I will modify the board to increase the space behind the bag and beef up the board some.

Good luck and keep us posted with some pictures or video of the finished set up!

Happy Baggin!
                        Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Speedbag
                          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
                          Welcome to the forum unreal! I agree with AK on this everlast http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/fa...egoryId=694496.

The price is a bit lower to help with the budget and the shipping is free.

Below is the store locations closest to your neck of the woods and I bought mine from the store near me for $99. If you call they might be able to let you know the in-store price and if they have any in stock.

I use this board most of the time even though I also have the valor CA-2 http://www.total-trainer.com/valor-f...2ca0021bm-1327. This board is too close to the adjusting wheel and hinders rear bag strikes. I will modify the board to increase the space behind the bag and beef up the board some.

Good luck and keep us posted with some pictures or video of the finished set up!

Happy Baggin!
                          Hey Novaspeedbag, I see at Dicks they have the plastic ballhooks for $12. If you want a plastic housing to drop in a metal ball, this isn't a bad deal,

Of course, you need balls of metal, but if you have them then the plastic housing makes a nice match.
                          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                          The Quest Continues...
                          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Unreal
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Jan 2011

Yea thanks for the posts guys and making me feel welcome <3 hahaha

I'm searching for some prices and then will order the one I deem best! Hopefully it gets here all right.

Also thanks for your help Nova, the decreased price is good! Funny for the nearest stores though, closest one 286 miles! :P

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                              Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                              Hi Unreal and welcome to the forum. You'll find very few here have any experience with that hydroboard, and most of us wouldn't waste our time on it. You'll need more support. This is a very inexpensive wall unit that will hold up very well if hung properly and a 30-50lb sandbag on top. I don't know what your price range is but this is a great unit that most of us would swear by.
                              Hope this helps. Good luck with your equipment choice.
                              The frame on Alan's first link is like the hydroboard frame. The board is thin so you would probably add a thicker heaver board on top to beef it up. The second link is a good board, I have purchased a couple from Modells sports store for a little over $60 on promotional sale. Shop around, hopefully you can get one in the same price range. The swivel is a chain link, okay for a noob to start on and for cardio workout. Get used to the basic punching and search the forum for guidance on swivel types that you may want to try, including one made by Jump Cannon.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...