• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sam
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2011

Home-Made speedbag

I'm only 17, and love boxing! I also love the speedbag there so i decided to order my own. I bought a 60squida board and bag, turns out it was utter rubbish! I'm am very good with woodwork and resistant materials, have been throughout my school, and i thought to my self, i want a full refund, to which they said 'why?' and all i stated was 'i could make better out of scraps!' So i put myself to the challenge.

I went into 6th form the next day, and asked if i could use some of the scraps of wood and materials etc in the tech department, which was fine. I started drawing different designs on ProDesktop to get the right dimensions. I used this forum to get different ideas and where to start, so thanks for the help! i then cracked on with the making.

I used:
    2 x 600mm Plywood
    4 x roofing bolts
    6 x large wall screws and plugs
    2 x 550mm steel bar
    2 x 400mm steel bar
    2 x support steel bars
    1 x 300mm steel bar (each bar is roughly 50mm thick)

First i cut out two perfect circles out of the ply wood, each 15mm thick.
    I then glued these together for thickness, also to reduce vibration.
    I the cut the steel bars out of two, veeeeeery, long bars, and drilled four wholes in the 400mm bars. ll ll
    I welded the 300mm bar to the two 400mm bars to get a ll=ll shape.
    I then drilled the 550mm bars 3 times, 100mm from the bottom, 100mm from top and 100mm down from the second whole.
    I drilled the diameter of the housing bolts through the board.
    i welded the ll=ll shape to the 550 bars, 100mm from the bottom whole.This then gives you a wall bracket.
    I then welded the support bars to the wall bracket. This is now very strong and stable.
    I attached the board to the wall bracket.
    Then sprayed it all black, and printed of a tribal printed vinyl and stuck it to the board.
    FINALLY attached the speedball and swivel.

DONE!

This took me roughly 10 hrs! It was as simple as that, and no one believes me that i made it hahahaha. I suggest it to anyone who has the time and materials/machines pictures uploaded soon. Need any help, comment on the thread.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Wow, Sam.

Very detailed instructions. Thanks and I hope it helps others.

Thanks and welcome to the forum.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Welcome to the forum, Sam. Very cool that you took it upon yourself to build your own setup. I can't wait to see the pictures of it... and some of you punching away. By the way, do you have a favorite speedball yet?
      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• jumpcannon
        Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

Great job! I like to hear u took the time to tackle a job like that!
        evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...