X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rhy
    • Sep 2013

Need help 2" solid maple to convert into a platform drum

Hi guys I came across this 2" solid maple roll top dest for $50, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they think it would be good to convert for a new platform drum.

Here's the add "minus contact info"

Heavy, solid maple rolltop desk, needs some TLC, although roll top does work smoothly there is some wood discoloring (see picture). Thirteen drawers, 2 inch thick desktop, weighs maybe 200lbs. and measures 51 inches tall by 55 inches wide by 29 inches deep with solid wood ball feet. Has key for lock and wood nobs for drawers. Asking $50, but will consider all offers for this super solid desk. Cash only and you haul.
    Last edited by Rhy; 10-26-2013, 08:21 PM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Rhy View Post
    Hi guys I came across this 2" solid maple roll top dest for $50, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they think it would be good to convert for a new platform drum.

Here's the add "minus contact info"

Heavy, solid maple rolltop desk, needs some TLC, although roll top does work smoothly there is some wood discoloring (see picture). Thirteen drawers, 2 inch thick desktop, weighs maybe 200lbs. and measures 51 inches tall by 55 inches wide by 29 inches deep with solid wood ball feet. Has key for lock and wood nobs for drawers. Asking $50, but will consider all offers for this super solid desk. Cash only and you haul.
    Looks like the inside and outside walls of the draws could be made into drums, at least for a 24 inch diameter. Maybe put a few on top of each other for a thicker, heavier drum.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Rhy
      • Sep 2013

I also found this butchers block top table but not sure about paying $190 to convert it for my needs..

PRICE REDUCED!!!! Beautiful butcher block 24" X 24" square by 34" high. Solid wood block, 3.5" thick, very heavy and sturdy. Never been used as a cutting board, in great condition. $190
      Last edited by Rhy; 10-26-2013, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

The butcher block table looks like it truly is solid wood. I have my doubts about the desk, it is probably veneer over pine or possibly even MDF depending on how old it is. The only way to tell for sure would be to look at the back of the desk or look very closely at the edges to see if it is veneer. If it is truly solid, you will see the end grain on the edges. Usually when table tops are veneered the sides look just like the top.

It may be true, but if that desk is truly solid hard rock maple, that thing will weigh as much as a piano!

Comment

• Rhy
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
          The butcher block table looks like it truly is solid wood. I have my doubts about the desk, it is probably veneer over pine or possibly even MDF depending on how old it is. The only way to tell for sure would be to look at the back of the desk or look very closely at the edges to see if it is veneer. If it is truly solid, you will see the end grain on the edges. Usually when table tops are veneered the sides look just like the top.

It may be true, but if that desk is truly solid hard rock maple, that thing will weigh as much as a piano!
          Hey Chris,

The guy didn't get back to me for the roll top but I did manage to buy the butchers block top.
          Last edited by Rhy; 10-26-2013, 08:22 PM.

Comment

• Dumbcluck
            • Jun 2013

That looks pretty solid to me.
            Bag on.
            Jimbo

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...