• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by rehamco1 View Post
    how is kangaroo leather different? what is the name of the association...I have a cousin in Australia.

and have you ever seen a Kangaroo hit a speed bag I know they box
    Kangaroo leather is very strong, it can be thin and lightweight and durable at the same time. The kangaroo bags I've hit are the real deal, it's not just a sales gimmick. Ask around, I think others here have a favorable opinion about kangaroo leather bags as well.

You can read more about kangaroo leather at the Kangaroo Industry Association site,

Comment

• fedora
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by paranday View Post
      Kangaroo leather is very strong, it can be thin and lightweight and durable at the same time.

So true, I also collect vintage leather jackets. In doing research on the various leathers that jackets are made from, I found that the military actually did durability tests on different leathers. kangaroo came in first, Goat second, Horsehide 3rd and Cowhide 4th. And lambskin wasn't even considered.

fedora

Comment

• rskbreaker
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
        Can't wait to see what you come up with, that is one of my favorite bag shapes too. I'd love a custom "Zaza" bag...or maybe a limited addition "Art of the Bag" bag.... Hummmm....

FYI... the first thing I did with that bag was to remove that big, honkin' label that was cutting my fists. I don know why that would use such a thing?
        Let see what happens. It's one of those things that looks easy at first, but is probably a hell of a lot harder than it looks.

If I could make a quality bag, I'm all for a special edition bag.

Right now I have to get a new seam ripper. It snapped in half trying to pull the seams for the loop. Figured I'd mess around with a vintage style oven mi...I mean speed bag glove till I get another seam ripper.

Comment

• rskbreaker
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by ventanakaz
          ...Hey rskbreaker, I have three bags I could send you. Two I split the seams on, one I just got in the mail from ebay, it's an everlast mexican bag that is made outta vinyl. Split two seams on the first day of hitting, this would have been a great mexican bag if it was made outta leather. The other is a Leone bag (fifty dollar bag) that has a split seam too, it's doesn't have alot of bagging on it, they either used low quality leather or it's to thin, and lastly I have an everlast red 4210 that has no bladder in it but the leather is tough as nails, can't split the seam on these bags, the only thing with it is the shape has a slight oblong to it. If you want to deconstruct these bags to help you build a bag or bags your welcome to them, just PM me your address and I'll send them to you if your interested...ralph
          Thank you. That's a very generous offer. Let me see how the first bag turn out. If all goes well, I'll definitely take you up on that offer.

Comment

• rskbreaker
            • Jan 2014

Thanks again, Ralph! Crossing my fingers on this first bag.

I finally got around to pulling the pattern. From left to right. Main center piece, side panels, loop, tongue, piping, welting.

Comment

• paranday
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Sep 2009

You picked a good bag to start with, I think everybody likes that Title bag.

Comment

• rskbreaker
                • Jan 2014

Thanks guys. I read a few reviews before I picked up the bag. Seemed like a solid choice.

Here's a rough first draft. No piping, welting, or loop. Just a bare bones pattern. I didn't cut the seam allowance, so the seams look a little bulky. I'll probably need a handful of revision before I get it down 100%

Comment

• paranday
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Sep 2009

What can you teach us about leather grades ? Some bags hold up a good long time, others start cracking early on. Some split open and are destroyed too easily, these are punching bags after all !

Comment

• CeSalt
                    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                    What can you teach us about leather grades ? Some bags hold up a good long time, others start cracking early on. Some split open and are destroyed too easily, these are punching bags after all !
                    Leather and perhaps lining, also. The lining in my old bags is hefty, but I don't know what it is.

Comment

• rskbreaker
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                      ...What I notice awhile back as I was changing bladders out is there was a quality difference (in the lining) between other bags, like say title bags and cleto reyes bags.
                      What are the Cleto bags lined with?

I took a little break from sewing, but I'm looking to get back in the swing of things. Heres my second draft. Much better, but there are a few things I can improve on.

Comment

• florian 380
                        • Nov 2012

Wow that thing looks beautiful . Very nice shape
                        awesome work !!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Eric
                          • May 2014

Custom Bag

Impressive work ! Can't wait to hear how it hits. Those could be embossed and marketed to gyms. Logo's like Golds Gym, Real Gymm or even Speed Bag Vl are a few examples that come to mind.
                          Welcome to the Forum.
                          Bag away !!!

Comment

• rskbreaker
                            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by florian 380 View Post
                            Wow that thing looks beautiful . Very nice shape
                            awesome work !!!!!!!!!!!
                            Thanks for the kind words.

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                            Impressive work ! Can't wait to hear how it hits. Those could be embossed and marketed to gyms. Logo's like Golds Gym, Real Gymm or even Speed Bag Vl are a few examples that come to mind.
                            Welcome to the Forum.
                            Bag away !!!
                            Thank you. Hopefully by the time Speed Bag VI rolls along I can make bags that live up to the high standards of the forum members.

Comment

• Speedbag
                              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by rskbreaker View Post
                              Thanks for the kind words.

Thank you. Hopefully by the time Speed Bag VI rolls along I can make bags that live up to the high standards of the forum members.
                              that would be a feast for the hands! Great Job.
                              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                              The Quest Continues...
                              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by rskbreaker View Post
                                What are the Cleto bags lined with?

I took a little break from sewing, but I'm looking to get back in the swing of things. Heres my second draft. Much better, but there are a few things I can improve on.
                                My heart actually skipped a beat when I came to the pictures of this bag. (Okay, yeah, I'm a FREAKING speed bag addict! )

That shape! The leather! The quality look! I have 3 favorite bags: My small Fighting Sports bag (challenging, but rewarding), my gold 5x8 Title bag (it's durable and performs), and my BFF speed ball from Australia (durable, great rebound). Your new bag reminds me of my Aussie speed ball (Body First Fitness speed ball) that forum member Deano sent me. It is one of my all time favorite bags to punch. I've had it a few years now, and it's still holding up.

You did a FANTASTIC job on the bag, rskbreaker. It looks great. How's the rebound on it? Oh, and what kind of leather did you go with?
                                sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                                I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...