• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • podnah
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2010

Balazs 7 x 10 Lazer

Just picked up a 7 x 10 Balazs Lazer off of Ebay. Since my favorite bag is a 30 year old 6 x9 Everlast, I thought getting one size up would be interesting, but not much different. Correct about being interesting, totally wrong about not being different. This thing is a monster! My normally unshakeable Balazs platform shakes, sound reverberates so much through the house my daughter thought the generator started up, and it sounds like a big bass drum. It's also a great workout. I figure it must be the pizza principle - doesn't sound like there'd be much difference between a 12" pizza and a 14" - but it's 2 additional inches at the largest end! A lot more pizza, a lot more speedbag.

If anyone can tell me how to post an avatar, I have a picture of it with my head below, so you can see how much bigger it is.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by podnah View Post
    Just picked up a 7 x 10 Balazs Lazer off of Ebay. Since my favorite bag is a 30 year old 6 x9 Everlast, I thought getting one size up would be interesting, but not much different. Correct about being interesting, totally wrong about not being different. This thing is a monster! My normally unshakeable Balazs platform shakes, sound reverberates so much through the house my daughter thought the generator started up, and it sounds like a big bass drum. It's also a great workout. I figure it must be the pizza principle - doesn't sound like there'd be much difference between a 12" pizza and a 14" - but it's 2 additional inches at the largest end! A lot more pizza, a lot more speedbag.

If anyone can tell me how to post an avatar, I have a picture of it with my head below, so you can see how much bigger it is
    above on the grey menu, go to "user cp" and on the left side about a quater of the way down you will see;

YOUR PROFILE,

(edit profile picture here...)

NETWORKING and

SETTINGs AND OPTIONs
    see "edit Avatar"
    and signature

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Balazs Lazer Speed Bags

I have an Ultra-Pro Lazer "Peanut" bag coming my way. I'm anxious to try it out. I keep hearing how meaty it is, etc. Is it hefty, like a Cleto, I wonder?
      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• podnah
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Dec 2010

Lazer vs Cleto

OK, got the picture up - thanks. I have a peanut Cleto - my other favorite bag. The Lazer does seem hefty like the Cleto - it's actually the only bag I have that compares with the Cleto. But for Christmas, I have a Title Black Pro 6 x 9 on the way (they ran out of stock during their two day sale). It will be interesting to see the differences.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Wow! That's big. I'll bet it's challenging.
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• podnah
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Dec 2010

It is. It's great for basic punching and getting a workout (and driving my wife and daughter upstairs a bit nuts from all the bass); but I'm not having much luck with getting consecutive triple elbow strikes going or anything else like that. It just wants to take its time.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

OK, got the picture up - thanks. I have a peanut Cleto - my other favorite bag. The Lazer does seem hefty like the Cleto - it's actually the only bag I have that compares with the Cleto. But for Christmas, I have a Title Black Pro 6 x 9 on the way (they ran out of stock during their two day sale). It will be interesting to see the differences.
              The Title bag will feel lighter on the hands and has a shorter rebound arch.

It is. It's great for basic punching and getting a workout (and driving my wife and daughter upstairs a bit nuts from all the bass); but I'm not having much luck with getting consecutive triple elbow strikes going or anything else like that. It just wants to take its time.
              Try (1) going slower. Think "control bag", not speed bag. slow down by hitting lighter on the bag.
              (2), instead of the triple elbow technique, start with the single elbow of each arm, than double elbow (elbow - fist), and when you have good control of those, add the other fist for the Triple Elbow. I'm assuming by "consecutive triple" you mean the outward Elbow movement. If that's true you might also consider the outward elbow strike is an "Elbow - Fist - Fist" connection, and another way to view is: That's a double Punch with an outward elbow added just before it. I've seen people who can do Front Double Punching very well, but struggled with the Outward Triple Elbow technique when they viewed it as an "elbow strike", but when they changed to seeing it as a Front Double Punch with an elbow in front, they could do it because they had good control of that technique already.

Just a suggestion. Hope it helps.
              Last edited by Speedbag; 12-20-2012, 09:52 AM.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• podnah
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Dec 2010

That really helps - thanks. I quite often will do continuous outward elbow movement, originating the movement more from the obliques , so it ends up being more a twisting motion. I'm going to change it as you suggested; that's sounds more workable with this bag.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

That really helps - thanks. I quite often will do continuous outward elbow movement, originating the movement more from the obliqes, so it ends up being more a twisting motion. I'm going to change it as you suggested; that's sounds more workable with this bag.
                  As you turn from the obliques, you will lead back to the bag with the point of your elbow and kept you fists set for a front double punch. the bag will hit the elbow, one rebound, fist, one rebound, other fist. The secret is the distance between the fists. If they are too close togehter your second fist may shoot under the bag too early. if the second fist is too far back, you may hit the bag too late in the rebound, below the belly.

You could start doing continous alternating Front Double Punching, then turn a bit more from the obliques and do the same motion back, hitting elbow-fist-fist. There is a tendency to hit the last fist a bit harder which will add a bit of bag speed so be ready for that.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...