Another Narragansett saved from the landfill...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bag Man
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by JoMan View Post
    Thank you Dutchman! I still have to find space/shore up a wall to hold this huge platform! The drum platform is 3' diameter!

Would you have any knowledge of what kind of swivel would be used in the early days? In the photos of the drum, you can see there's a pattern of small nicks & wear that extends out several inches from the center hole. Maybe it was on a rope and the end of the rope had a metal s hook?

And, there's some numbers on various parts of the iron. Like the arms, and behind the main middle part near the gears. Would you know if that's just for part number, or would the numbers be a serial number of some sort that would help narrow down when this was made?

Also, I've seen every example of one of these that I could find with a comprehensive search here, and this is the only example that shows the small wood planking on the top surface, whereas others I've seen have the wide planks on top just like the ones on the bottom. Perhaps this is one of the older examples?
    Perhaps this is one of the older examples?

That is correct.

Some of the other ones that pop up are Narragansett Gym Equipment and Everlast models. The NGEs as well as the Everlasts had a different drum construction. This is the original.

Would you have any knowledge of what kind of swivel would be used in the early days?

A rope that went through a sleeve that fit in the hole as far as I am aware. I have never actually seen a sleeve. There is an illustration of one in the NME catalog that you can find online.

Yours is in good shape with not too much in the way of wear given the age. Also, from the pics it looks to be all there.

Bag Man
    "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

This is definitely an earlier example, that type of construction of the platform is indicative of the late 19th, early 20th century woodworking. As far as swivels, I agree that the likely hood of being a adjustable rope swivel is very good. NMC swivels of that era were similar to the Nicol's. Over the years they were replaced by what ever was the latest style in use. The adjustable chain ones gained some popularity in the pre WWI era (like the D&M Lucky Dog ones).

Comment

• Bag Man
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        This is definitely an earlier example, that type of construction of the platform is indicative of the late 19th, early 20th century woodworking. As far as swivels, I agree that the likely hood of being a adjustable rope swivel is very good. NMC swivels of that era were similar to the Nicol's. Over the years they were replaced by what ever was the latest style in use. The adjustable chain ones gained some popularity in the pre WWI era (like the D&M Lucky Dog ones).
        Dutchman,

Have you ever run across the original swivel for these? The NMW catalogue from about 1920 that I have seen has a sleeve insert that fits into the the hole. All of the early models that I have seen have the hole. The catalogue does not seem to have a "swivel" so to speak. My theory has always been that the rope went through the sleeve and was tied of on the top of the platform. Can't say is more than a hunch though.

Bag Man
        "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

I've never seen an original NMC swivel installed, they were soon supplanted by the new improved ones. There was a lot of interest in improving the use of the striking bag back the day, a lot of patents issued, some of them actually were produced on a large scale

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

A question was raised about why this platform is no longer made. The Everlast version was still being offered in their catalogs back in the 1980's. I have one stashed around here someplace, but I can't get to it right now. As I recall it was approaching the thousand dollar price tag even then. I was told by a local retailer that handled the full line of products that the old NMC style platform was available on special order only, as the demand for it was low. They were selling more of the next model down for pro and institutional installations by that time.

Comment

• rdshackleford
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2016

Do you mean this one?

@ArcSwivel
              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

Ahyup that's it. That's a bit more than I remember, but I'm not surprised. I don't think that there is anything quite like it available now.

Comment

• rdshackleford
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                  Ahyup that's it. That's a bit more than I remember, but I'm not surprised. I don't think that there is anything quite like it available now.
                  If there was, I would buy it.
                  @ArcSwivel
                  #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...